Talk

Advanced search

to not want to look after my niece next week?

(13 Posts)
BarkingHarriet Mon 13-Jul-09 13:58:10

My sister's employer recently went through a restructure, and she lost her term time only contract to a full year round one. She can apply for term time again in 6m time.

In the meantime, I offered to look after my niece during the holidays for the two days she works as I work term time only.

However, dBIL has just been diagnosed with swine flu, and we're due to go on holiday five days after I look after my niece.

I don't want to drop my sister in it, but I really don't want to be looking after someone who potentially is incubating swine flu less than a week before dd's and I go away.

Am I being unreasonable? If we weren't going away I wouldn't even hesitate, I'd look after her swine flu or not.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 13-Jul-09 14:00:18

Message withdrawn

tennisaddict Mon 13-Jul-09 14:04:03

shit happens

I think you are BU actually, what is the alternative ?

Drop your sis in childcare-hell because your neice might be incubating a mainly mild viral illness ?

You do realise, don't you, that every time you leave the house you are probably mixing with swine-flu "incubators" ?

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 13-Jul-09 14:06:09

Message withdrawn

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 13-Jul-09 14:06:54

I would be honest with her. How long has she got to find alternative childcare?

If you weren't going on holiday then I would say YABU, but you don't want your holiday ruined because you all get swine flu. If you get the vomiting part of it then you probably wouldn't be allowed to use any swimming pools or anything while you were away.

tennisaddict Mon 13-Jul-09 14:07:34

hello shiney, how are you after your little "spat" last night ?

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 13-Jul-09 14:10:06

Message withdrawn

tennisaddict Mon 13-Jul-09 14:12:16

< final bit of hijack >

that girl had ishoos

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 13-Jul-09 14:12:49

Aww that's a shame shiney, it was very funny grin

kitsmummy Mon 13-Jul-09 14:14:09

No YANBU at all, I'm sure your sister will understand. Why potentially ruin your holiday, your sister will have to take leave or something

Blondeshavemorefun Mon 13-Jul-09 14:49:10

why cant dbil look after his own child for those 2days as surely if in the same house, she might get it from him anyway

or have i got the wrong end of the stick - im blonde grin

sandcastles Mon 13-Jul-09 15:02:38

If your BIL has been dx with swine flu, surely he'll be quarenteened, so he can have her. The best place for dn is at home anyway, under the circs.

BarkingHarriet Tue 14-Jul-09 10:04:53

Thank you. I didn't think I was being unreasonable, if we weren't going on holiday I would be happy to have her. And true, BIL will probably still be off work then anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now