Talk

Advanced search

To think that sleepovers should at some point involve actual sleep?

(10 Posts)
Pogleswood Sun 12-Jul-09 20:52:39

Just recovering from sleepover with DS and his friend - someone (probably at school) seems to have convinced them that for it to be a 'real' sleepover you have to stay up all night! Driven totally up the wall by non-stop talking,playing,TV watching,up and down the stairs,reappearances in the wee small hours asking if it's time to get up... Sleepovers in Pogleswood usually involve treats,TV staying up late,and then GOING TO SLEEP!
Have the rules changed?
Maybe I am BU,but I am a grumpy old woman and I need my sleep!

bigchris Sun 12-Jul-09 20:53:38

how old?

they hopefully crash out at 2am and you get a lie in grin

Dumbledoresgirl Sun 12-Jul-09 20:57:00

YANBU. My dd got back from a sleepover this morning. She told me she had had 6 hours sleep in total (she is 9). She has been grumpy all day and I have not been pleased to hear what the other (8) girls got up to, though that is not entirely to the point of this thread.

She has wanted to go on a sleepover for ages now and this is the first I have let her go on. It will be the last for a very long time. angry

Did you not go in to their room and shout at them to go to sleep at any point? I would have done.

Pyrocanthus Sun 12-Jul-09 20:58:11

No they don't they're up at 7 demanding pancakes.

LoveMyGirls Sun 12-Jul-09 20:59:11

This is why when my dd1 asks I say NO and will keep saying no for some time yet.

I need my sleep, I love my sleep, I need my bed, I love my bed.............

In your case I think I would go in and say - either you both go to sleep now OR I take your friend home and you are never allowed to have a sleepover again.

supersalstrawberry Sun 12-Jul-09 21:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 12-Jul-09 21:02:36

DS and his friend tend to go to sleep somewhere between 10 and 11. Wake up at 7. It's not enough, but they hve a fantastic time. They are 7 though. I suspect it will get worse as they get older...

Pogleswood Sun 12-Jul-09 21:05:13

DS is 9,and good prediction,bigchris - they finally went off around 2am,but only as a result of my finally losing it at this point and threatening no sleepovers ever again...

Yes,Dumbledoresgirl,I did go and shout at them,it wasn't as effective as it usually is with DD and her friends though!

When I asked DS this morning if he'd enjoyed it he said ''Yes,except for the part where you kept coming in to the room and telling us to go to sleep..'' blush

Pyrocanthus Sun 12-Jul-09 21:07:19

I can be pretty firm angry, but expectations do seem to vary from home to home, and I don't want the littler beggars weeping and wanting their mums. I've never had much trouble with one guest at a time, but both DDs have now had a sleepover party, and I shan't be repeating the experience...

I've been lucky with a fad for sleepover parties in my DD2's class this year - she can still (at 9) sleep for 15 hours straight the following night. After one she fell asleep on the bathroom floor at 4.30pm, drooling gently on to the carpet.

Pogleswood Sun 12-Jul-09 22:08:36

Thanks all,was beginning to wonder if it was only mean old me being a killjoy - next time (Ha!) I shall discuss my expectations well in advance! (vaguely remember DD's sleepovers being more difficult at this age too)
Love the picure of your DD asleep on the bathroom floor,Pyrocanthus!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now