Talk

Advanced search

To think that if your 4yo is still up in the evening, you should not really be watching CSI?

(59 Posts)
flamingobingo Sun 12-Jul-09 16:53:32

I think IA probably NBU wrt CSI, but what about Doctor Who?

Boys2mam Sun 12-Jul-09 17:04:23

My DS used to loved Americas Next Top Model grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 12-Jul-09 17:06:06

DD loves watching Dr Who

flamingobingo Sun 12-Jul-09 17:07:07

How old is your DD, fivegomadindorset?

alittlebitshy Sun 12-Jul-09 17:07:38

doctor who would be ok i'd say IF the dc in question wsn't one who got scared easily. We let our dd start watching dr who at around age 5, maybe a bit before because she watched the xmas speical, but we sky plussed it normally and watched it in the daytime with her cos frakly we wanted her in bed in the evenings grin.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 12-Jul-09 17:07:48

3.5, she watches that or a DVD and then goes to bed at 8 (hopefully)

Greensleeves Sun 12-Jul-09 17:08:02

Dr Who is totally inappropriate for small children

BouncingTurtle Sun 12-Jul-09 17:08:43

We watched BTVS with 18mo one lunchtime. It was "Beer Bad" from season 4, so no scary bits though! blush

CSI for a 4yo probably not wise though... can be a bit gory even for my taste!

flamingobingo Sun 12-Jul-09 17:10:59

What is BTVS?

Jas Sun 12-Jul-09 17:11:34

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

TrinityRhino Sun 12-Jul-09 17:11:34

I dont think csi is for kids at all

doctor who is just complete shite and probably not for under 5's

Knickers0nMaHead Sun 12-Jul-09 17:22:15

depends how much notice they are taking of the tv.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 12-Jul-09 17:23:21

Mostof it goes over her head, she likes the music.

flamingobingo Sun 12-Jul-09 17:31:14

Really? Do you really think she's not absorbing any of what she's seeing, even if it's subconsciously?

Greensleeves Sun 12-Jul-09 17:32:00

if the most positive thing you can say about her watching it is that at least she doesn't understand it, that's not great, is it

twopeople Sun 12-Jul-09 17:32:38

Message withdrawn

TheChilliMooseHasGreenFingers Sun 12-Jul-09 17:36:45

If a young child is still up and not sleeping at a reasonable hour, I wouldn't have the TV on at all as it is too stimulating.

Terrahawk Mon 13-Jul-09 07:46:09

probably not the best viewing material for youngsters, but at least in has some sientific content. Certainly better than having Jeremy Kyle as your daytime background music

monkeyfeathers Mon 13-Jul-09 11:41:41

I don't really have an issue with Dr Who (it's just escapist nonsense really). Fair enough, some children might be a bit scared by it, but my DS used to love it.

CSI is obviously a completely different issue though. The storylines are often very adult in content (rape, murder, etc, etc). I wouldn't let my 9 year old watch it. He'd probably find it quite boring anyway.

Boys2mam: there's no way I'd get DS to watch ANTM! He's not impressed with it at all. Tbh, neither is the OH - although he does like Project Runway.

Morloth Mon 13-Jul-09 12:32:05

DS loves Dr Who as well and has watched since he was 3ish.

It is so far from reality that it doesn't bother him. CSI would though I think.

He is going through a dinosaur phase and has watched the Jurassic Park movies, he was totally hunky dory with the dinos running wild on an island eating people - the scene in the second film where the T-rex was in the backyard of the house, freakin' terrified him.

So, escapism/fantasy = FINE anything that looks even slightly possible = FREAKY.

monkeyfeathers Mon 13-Jul-09 12:35:42

Terrahawk: but Jeremy Kyle does have scientific content... Surely it's full of DNA testing! wink

IMO, Jeremy Kyle should never be on when children are around. It surely isn't healthy for young children to see people shouting at one another and occassionally going for each other.

Unless that is what goes in your home and they are used to it, I guess grin

monkeyfeathers Mon 13-Jul-09 15:15:58

Well, I'm not sure Jeremy Kyle should be on in any home. It probably isn't good for anyone to see that kind of thing. But, hey, if people want to watch it...

My OH has been trying to persuade me that, since I'm now on maternity leave, I'm obliged to sit about watching Jeremy Kyle. I think I'd rather chew my arms off.

You are a person after my own heart, monkeyfeathers.

nybom Tue 14-Jul-09 09:46:38

DS (4) stays up every evening until 10pm. he doesn't watch kids' programs but he watches/has watched anything we watch from nip/tuc, star treck, big brother, shameless, embarassing bodies to little britain, south park and skins. if he's afraid he looks away, if there's any explicit sexual activity we make sure to cover his eyes and ears. we try and explain things. and as for the language - when i was young that sort of language wasn't even on TV, and in my native country TV isn't half as explicit as in the UK (only now have htey shown the first vaginal beauty op and are making a big fuss out of it). wait another 5 or 10 years and it will be normal for kids to watch those sort of programs. there's no stopping it anyway.... might as well make no big deal out of it and explain stuff whenever needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now