Talk

Advanced search

to insist that dh goes to the doctor

(4 Posts)
woodlands35 Sun 12-Jul-09 14:23:52

hi , my dh has had some worrying symptoms recently that he only confided in me yesterday , now there is a VERY high cancer rate in his family both his parents died from cancer & his oldest brother died from cancer two years ago ,all of which died before the age of 55 , my dh is 44 ,
dh NEVER goes to see the doctor & i am really worried as we have young dc's , would i be out of line to go behind dh back & arrange an appointment with our gp for him (which he wont like) but am at my wits end now because he wont bother to make an appointment for himself , (he hates doctors)
what do you all think , thanks

HecatesTwopenceworth Sun 12-Jul-09 14:26:07

I think that he is being very foolish.

If you made an appointment for him - how would you make him go?

Have you told him how worried you are? Maybe said "Look, please, I am worried, please just go to put my mind at ease."

sickofsocalledexperts Sun 12-Jul-09 14:27:45

He should go to the doc's. We lost my brother in law so quickly last year because he thought he just had a tummy bug and had been putting off going to the doc's. There have been a whole load of articles in the press recently by people who put off going to the doc's due to embarrassing nature of symptoms, and later found out they had cancer which might have been nipped in the bud if they'd gone earlier. Tell him a bit of embarrassment is not worth dying for.

woodlands35 Sun 12-Jul-09 15:16:22

hi , hecates i haven't figured out how i would get him to go yet , just feeling useless atm , i have pleaded with him to go to gp & he promises he will but then never bothers to make an appointment , he has been worried about his health for a few years now , as he is feeling tired & stressed out all the time lately, but now this recent symptom is not a good sign & imo he needs to get this checked out asap,
sickofsoccalledexperts - so sorry to hear about your brother in law , it seems so much more sad when you think that a visit to the gp could have saved him ,
my dh would have to have an embarrassing examination too but every1 feels like that some times , dh suffers from depression also & wont go to see gp about that either , its like talking to a brick wall some times .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now