Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to think this is INCREDIBLY rude?!

(103 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Sat 11-Jul-09 11:47:06

I was walking round a carboot this morning DH was at a stall buying crap so I walked on with DD,

2 rather portly women walked up to mea and one handed me a leaflet and the converstaion folled as such ...

Her : "Hello, can I interest you in joing my weight loss programme?"

Me - shock

Her - "Don't look so offended, we are trying to help you"

Me - - shock

Her - just staring at me.

I handed the leaflet back and said "Thanks, made me feel great about myself today'

Her " cheer up, why don't you smile, you have a beautiful daughter"

and she walks away.

I won't lie, I filled up, I was feeling pretty good this morning, I'd put a dress on for the first time in a while and it was sunny, I was happy until she came over, then had the cheek to say 'cheer up!'

DH was fuming when he found out why I was upset,

AIBU to think that weigh loss services are sought out by people who want to loose weight and people should not 'target' people they percieve as overweight and offer them this service??

SecretSlattern Sat 11-Jul-09 11:48:46

YANBU what a flippin' cheek!

morningpaper Sat 11-Jul-09 11:48:52

AW, I'm sorry you are feeling bad but I think you are over-reacting a bit - I expect they handed out leaflets to anyone

Lizzylou Sat 11-Jul-09 11:52:39

I would be very upset about that, tbh.

It is very insensitive and tactless.

bradsmissus Sat 11-Jul-09 11:53:10

YANBU. That kind of thing would have really pissed me off too.

I was once in town with a group of friends, about 6 of us and there were people giving out flyers for a new lingerie shop. They gave one to every one of my skinny mates and completely avoided making eye contact with me. I was mortified and so were my mates. So much so that one of them tore her flyer in half and handed it back! I cried!

Disenchanted3 Sat 11-Jul-09 11:55:28

MP, they weren't handing them to everyone though , just the larger people, why would they want thin people to join a weightloss programme?

So It made me feel bloody shit to think they had sppotted me and thought 'theres an overweight peerson we'll ask her'

pagwatch Sat 11-Jul-09 11:56:04

Take no notice. I suspect they were giving them out to most women.
I was given a leaflet about some herbal thingy to loose weight when I was quite seriously underweight through depression.

... and i once got a personal letter from a costmetic dentistry firm that I had never heard of hmm.
...and I am often sent emails about the size of my penis grin

Don't take this stuff personally

earthpixie Sat 11-Jul-09 11:56:07

Bizarrely, this happened to me when I was a slim 21 year old, clearly in no need of weight-loss programmes.

So YANBU to think it was insensitive but don't take it to heart too much.

PrammyMammy Sat 11-Jul-09 11:56:47

yanbu, that is horrible. I would have laughed at them then cried to dh. Cheeky buggers!

crazylizzy Sat 11-Jul-09 11:58:04

YANBU, that's disgustingly rude angry

"Don't look so offended, we are trying to help you" - shock words fail me!

Momdeguerre Sat 11-Jul-09 12:00:32

YANBU - cowbags! Very cheeky, think I would have been pissed off too.

I would not take it personally - they don't know you - all they want is business.

If it makes you feel any better I got a series of e mails offerring me a penis enlargement this week grin!

Wigglesworth Sat 11-Jul-09 12:01:59

I think if your DD wasn't with you I would have been tempted to tell her to fuck off and stick her flyer up her arse before you tear her a new one. I am angry for you, what a total bitch.

HuffwardlyRudge Sat 11-Jul-09 12:03:12

Weeeeeeel... I'm sorry you were upset, but are you overweight? If you are then it's legitimate to assume that you MIGHT find a weight loss programme useful. But as you've said you were feeling pretty good in your nice dress you can just smile and say no thanks.

PurplePillow Sat 11-Jul-09 12:03:17

Cheeky fecking mares shock

I think we're all carrying excess weight, but as long as you feel ok and are loved by your family I would ignore them.

Disenchanted3 Sat 11-Jul-09 12:04:03

Wiggles, she is only 6months and asleep so I could have.

I was honestly too upset.

Some people just let things pass over them, but I'm not one of them unfortunaly.

Firawla Sat 11-Jul-09 12:05:32

really rude
maybe you could contact the company and let them know their recruitment techniques are severely lacking!
would be better if they asked some stall holders to just leave leaflet on the table, if people want it can pick it up by their choice

Disenchanted3 Sat 11-Jul-09 12:06:31

I am overweight, but I have 3 kids under 5, littlest only 6 months

and if I wanted to loose weight Id go somewhere myself when i was ready.

Its just not on.

cheshirekitty Sat 11-Jul-09 12:10:24

I always get stopped and given anti-wrinkle cream!!! Makes me feel really good about myself.

Ignore them. Please do not let them spoil your day.

purepurple Sat 11-Jul-09 12:12:09

YANBU
You should have said
"No thank you, it obviously doesn't work, looking at you"
and handed the leaflet back

crazylizzy Sat 11-Jul-09 12:15:17

grin at purepurple

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 11-Jul-09 12:18:03

YANBU - that was crap of them

Heated Sat 11-Jul-09 12:18:13

How long it will takes these women to cotton on this is not the best marketing tactic? Am now also wondering if they made it all the way round the car-boot unmolested! grin

Ignore them. They are loons, I tell you, loons!

LoveBeingAMummy Sat 11-Jul-09 13:28:51

My mum was appraiched by someone after a course at work and handed a card with the woman saying to her that she did avon and she could help her with her wrinkles?!?!!? WTF???

YANU

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 11-Jul-09 13:38:32

I get this...

Coke, please.

Diet? hmm and angry

It's just complete lack of tact. Take no notice, insensitive shits.

MrsSeanBean Sat 11-Jul-09 13:43:41

So sorry you had your morning ruined.

I bet you looked great, take no notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now