Talk

Advanced search

to think that your relationship status is not that relevant when turning down an unwanted sexual advance?

(9 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Fri 10-Jul-09 23:34:55

I have a kind of huge mental block with saying to someone who approaches me that I have a (hypothetical/imaginary) Partner. Is this just me? Because it seems fair and reasonable enough to say, nicely, 'thanks, but no thanks,' when asked for a shag by someone I don't want to shag. Surely my other relationships, if any, are nobody's business but mine and the person I might be involved with.

Spero Fri 10-Jul-09 23:37:21

The only people who ever approach me in this way are, trying to put it kindly, a little odd. The only thing that gets them to go away is to say that my husband wouldn't like it if he found out.

One notable loon then quizzed me as to why I wasn't wearing a wedding ring.

For some reason this happens only at bus stops.

ravenAK Fri 10-Jul-09 23:41:41

I'm broadly in agreement with you SGB, but I've found that getting older, fatter & more surrounded by small children has reduced the opportunites I have to embarrass ardent suitors by telling them to do one.

What happens when you say 'thanks but no thanks'? The sort of chap who fancies me would probably just slink off...

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 10-Jul-09 23:42:32

Message withdrawn

BitOfFun Sat 11-Jul-09 00:22:59

It's better to say no thanks ime...otherwise you become forbidden fruit and they keep pestering you.

expatinscotland Sat 11-Jul-09 00:32:15

i quite like, 'there's no enough beer in the world, mate' .

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Sat 11-Jul-09 00:35:08

Message withdrawn

oldraver Sat 11-Jul-09 21:36:15

I've used the 'not enough beer' one, but like Raven said.... my chances are limited these days.

I did take to wearing my wedding ring/engagement ring when out as in certain pubs/clubs you did tend to be pestered by divvys who seemed to assume you were an easy pull especially as all the girls I used to go out with were in their 30's

stainesmassif Sat 11-Jul-09 21:47:55

i'm surprised it would cross your mind sgb! i've never had a problem with telling people thanks but no thanks (again, not much opportunity to try it out recently, costa coffee is the highlight of my social calendar lately)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now