Talk

Advanced search

to think that £107 an hour + VAT is too much for a Plumber?

(34 Posts)
Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Fri 10-Jul-09 21:10:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CantSleepWontSleep Fri 10-Jul-09 21:12:11

I expect that some of that is for materials. Was he called out as an emergency plumber? If so then there's prob a call out charge, plus an hourly charge.
Plumbers just are expensive, along with electricians and just about every other trade these days, because they tend to be in short supply.

trixymalixy Fri 10-Jul-09 21:14:13

Was it an emergency callout?

dittany Fri 10-Jul-09 21:16:17

SecretNinjaChipmunk Fri 10-Jul-09 21:17:27

ask him to break the bill down for you. at least you can see how he works his charges out then

bigchris Fri 10-Jul-09 21:17:55

we had an emergency call out to fix our loo on a Sunday once

it cost about 450 with labour and the plumber driving around trying to buy a new toilet on a Sunday pm

he was only here about an hour putting it in

ilovemydogandmrobama Fri 10-Jul-09 21:19:53

I had to call out a plumber several years ago and had to pay for the full hour. He did the work in 30 minutes, so asked him to take the dog for a walk, which he did smile

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Fri 10-Jul-09 22:01:28

maltesers Fri 10-Jul-09 22:08:54

A rip off by the sound of it.
God, for that money he should have been topless, naked and given you a full body massage with champagne and cavier !!!

trixymalixy Fri 10-Jul-09 22:10:32

Did you not ask how much it would be before he did the work?

preggersplayspop Fri 10-Jul-09 22:12:30

That does sound like loads if it wasn't an emergency and didn't include a call out charge. I've been quoted (couple of years ago) £50 call out plus £25 per half hour plus VAT in London for a plumber, I thought it was a rip off then, but I'd pay it if I needed someone to come out at short notice for an emergency. Not for fitting a tap!!

I use people now through checkatrade, having had a bad experience with a builder. I've always had great people through them so would recommend it for the future!

pranma Sat 11-Jul-09 18:47:05

gosh thats a lot-my s-i-l is a plumber and charges less than half that-yes he is fully qualified and registered

PeedOffWithNits Sat 11-Jul-09 19:24:43

ONE TAP!!!!!

god that sounds a lot!!

PeedOffWithNits Sat 11-Jul-09 19:27:43

did you get several quotes in first? did he quote you in writing?

you might still be able to get some money back from him if you got some other registered/recommended plumbers (see your local council website, they usually have a list of reputable tradesmen)to quote for the same job and it was obvious he had overcharged. threaten to go to trading standards/local paper.

Rubyrubyrubyislosing7lbs Sat 11-Jul-09 21:06:35

MARGOsBeenDrinkingTea Sat 11-Jul-09 21:14:47

I've a feeling you've got a newly resigned MP who's retrained as a plumber. wink

katiestar Sun 12-Jul-09 00:27:00

Maybe there is a minimum charge . My DH is a tradesman and charges only in whole and half days , although he is a different trade.

2rebecca Sun 12-Jul-09 10:32:14

It's only too much if you can find someone cheaper. If you can't then that's the going rate.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Sun 12-Jul-09 11:08:21

my DPs friend is a plumber, in london - he charges £70 an hour, he is establishing himself then i daresay his prices will go up. He is qualified, registered and experinced. Just not greedy and realises that he can still mke money by charging less because he gets more work.

what you have to remember is that there are periods of time during the day when he wont be earning, that is when he is between jobs, especially in london, it can take hours to get from one job to another. Then there is parking charges, petrol, congestion charge etc.

We are lucky that we have DPs friend to do our plumbing for us, he is very good. I think he is great, but he does have a habit of calling women "love" and i think it has cost him work on more than one occasion - bless him, he justdoesn't get it. He is the only person who has got awya with it with me.

SSWise Sun 12-Dec-10 23:35:50

I was stitched up for years using a friend of a friend. He was meant to be reliable and honest...I was very let down!

I was sure he was ripping me off on an annual service, and then 3 months later I needed a load of work doing to it...which British Gas did (their engineer, who wasn't going to gain financially from the issues he discovered reckoned that none of the so called work had been done!) I found out later through the same friend of a friend that the local plumber was having money worries!

Now I stick to big companies and tradesmen who don't benefit directly if they find something wrong with my boiler! I've tried a few companies - British Gas, nPower and HomeServe (who were the best - 0800 085 9625). In all honesty they are all much of a muchness and it comes down to the engineer you get, but I do now feel safer with big companies.

classydiva Sun 12-Dec-10 23:42:00

its the going rate for an emergency call out.

bastards eh?

garrowismylaw Sun 12-Dec-10 23:42:01

£70.00 per hour [are you taking the piss face]

garrowismylaw Sun 12-Dec-10 23:44:38

Always use a certified plumber (Gas Safe REgister).
Don't care if you are in London...that is absolutely just ridiculous.

Blimey, I had a plumber come out as an emergency the other night (burst pipe) he was here in 10 minutes, stayed around half an hour (even poked fun at the cat looking pissed off on his rabbit hutch island) and only charged £20

I gave him £30 wink

Pheebe Mon 13-Dec-10 08:36:13

Thats an outrageous hourly rate! We had a similar situation with MIL and FIL. They were charged 160 per hour and I refused to allow them to pay it. We contacted trading standards who advised us to find out the going rate for plumbers in our area and to recalculate the bill on that basis and offer to pay them that amount. They gave us the exact legal information we needed to to quote to the plumber from the Trading Standards Act (1980something)

Ask your friends and get your own list of trusted tradesmen in place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now