Talk

Advanced search

To panic when a bird has entered the house?

(28 Posts)
SingleMum01 Fri 10-Jul-09 19:54:42

Or am I just too superstitious. Has anyone any experience of this. Sorry if I sound over superstitious, when I was younger my dad died and my mum told me about the superstition and we'd had a bird enter the house a couple of months before.

nickytwotimes Fri 10-Jul-09 19:56:50

Never heard of the superstition!

Given the number of birds that come into our house in the summer, I am surprised any of my family are left, but we are all still fine. smile

Thunderduck Fri 10-Jul-09 19:57:40

The worst that will happen is that it will defecate everywhere.

The superstition itself is nonsense.

ingles2 Fri 10-Jul-09 19:57:42

superstitious singlemum... the only living thing it spells doom for is the bird who will be having a major panic attack.
I have a bird (chicken) enter my house regularly and we seem fine grin

crazylizzy Fri 10-Jul-09 20:19:58

Haven't heard of that one before. Look into Derren Brown, he has a good outlook regarding superstition.

I would be far more worried about the bird poo skits all up the walls grin

mrsmaidamess Fri 10-Jul-09 20:22:41

Superstition aside, it would be my living hell.

Flyonthewindscreen Fri 10-Jul-09 21:42:46

YANBU - not because of any superstition, just because it is so difficult to get the buggers out and they crap everywhere. We had birds in our living room a couple of times before we got a bird net fitted to the chimney...

DollyPardonme Fri 10-Jul-09 21:46:37

YABU - for the superstition, agree with nickytwotimes - we have loads of them but are all still here.

YANBU for panicking, despite the above, I can't stand them. Had to get my friend to come and remove the last one blush: a disoriented baby blackbird. But neither I nor DS could look at it, and DH had of course cleared off to work....

zeke Fri 10-Jul-09 22:17:56

Already had a couple this year - well in the conservatory.

Yes, it is hard to get them out and they do crap everywhere so YANBU

YABU to the superstition though. How on earth would that work?!

brettgirl2 Sat 11-Jul-09 10:52:05

Superstition aside, I am really phobic about things flapping in a confined space. If DH is out I never open the windows wide, even if it is really hot sad

Saltire Sat 11-Jul-09 10:56:07

YANBU for panicking, I would too. But not becasue of nay supersitition, but becasue I am terrified of birds.blush. I have been known to cross the road if I see a pigeon

TrinityRhino Sat 11-Jul-09 11:01:40

unless you have a flappy thing/bird phobia
then its fine
infact nice except you need to help it out asap as it will be panicking

southeastastra Sat 11-Jul-09 11:03:44

never heard of that! we had two pidgeons in the house a few years back, they crapped all over dp's cd collection. but no-one died grin

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sat 11-Jul-09 11:20:07

I've never heard of this superstition but I have at this moment in time a falcon sitting on my lounge rug and we're ok! smile

pranma Sat 11-Jul-09 15:32:46

I have a phobia about dead birds and will walk a long way to avoid passing one but I panic at the very thought of a live bird in the house-I love them in the garden though.
Never heard of the superstiton.

Carrotfly Sat 11-Jul-09 15:37:44

I knew about the superstition.

I have had birds in the house, usually swallows looking for a barn and they end up in our conservatory.

The worst that has happened is blood, poo and screaming kids smile

Takes an age to clean up too.

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 15:42:47

kidcreole - what a lovely thing to have a falcon sitting in your lounge. Is he yours or does it just drop in regular for a chat?

My Mum &Dad used to know a miner who kept chickens under his kitchen table with a wire round the table legs and a hole in the table top. Saved clearing up he said. Just sweep the bits down the hole. He lived to an old age.

Starling fell down the chnimney last year. Flew around for several hours pooing eveywhere until we noticed it. No one has died - yet!

Ripeberry Sat 11-Jul-09 17:15:15

I think it's if a Raven that enters your house. Supposed to be the bringer of doom!
All other birds are OK apart from Magpies, especially lone ones.

mumofmaniacs Sat 11-Jul-09 17:18:24

Several years ago I had 2 or 3 birds a week come into my house. I had a hole in my roof. I lived alone. I am not dead hmm

wahwahwah Sat 11-Jul-09 17:24:09

My mum was very superstitious. I personally think that most old superstitions are just logic - no-one will die - but the bird may crap all over your furniture.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Sat 11-Jul-09 17:35:56

Superstitions are stupid.

Please do not let it worry you

wahwahwah Sat 11-Jul-09 17:40:15

Still... I don't walk under ladders - just in case a pot of paint lands on my head!

SingleMum01 Sat 11-Jul-09 20:06:05

thanks you all, what with birds and swine flu around I'm just constantly worrying!

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Sun 12-Jul-09 10:44:48

Abetadad the falcon is my DP's. It's only 4 weeks old and so is still staying in the house while we are 'imprinting' her. Suprisingly the mess isnt too bad as it's only a small bird! I would draw the line at chickens in the kitchen though! grin

salsmum Sun 12-Jul-09 11:05:15

Kidcreole... can I swap my African grey for your falcon please grin she shits shed loads lol x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now