Talk

Advanced search

To want to find out what the "centiles" relate to for older children.

(10 Posts)
MissSunny Fri 10-Jul-09 15:48:01

Message withdrawn

Firawla Fri 10-Jul-09 15:50:00

50th is average yes
i presume it works in the same way as the baby charts?
you could always ask the school for more info, whoever did the test. im sure you wouldnt be the only one?

MissSunny Fri 10-Jul-09 15:55:10

Message withdrawn

ilovemydogandmrobama Fri 10-Jul-09 15:56:42

Think it goes like this: 50th percentile, for instance, means that 50 percent of the population (her age) weigh more than she does. 75th percentile means that 25 percent of the population is shorter than she is, or she's taller than 75 percent of her peers.

Am not sure if the chart is based in actual measurements, or done by a calculation.

Sidge Fri 10-Jul-09 16:15:53

What are the actual numbers? Is it possible that they have written the centiles the wrong way around, ie her height is 75-91 centile and her weight the 50th?

The red/blue/green book has a centile chart for 5-18 as well as the birth-1 and 1-5 charts so you could double check in there (or post them on here and I can check for you).

AMumInScotland Fri 10-Jul-09 16:18:01

It sounds like they are being very vague about the measurements and centiles. "75th to 91st centile" is a huge band, where "50th centile" sounds very precise.

50th is average, but that will be for children as a whole - she can still be the tallest in her class, if she happens to be in a class of shorties!

And being on a different centile for height and weight doesn't mean that she's overweight (or underweight), just a little more solidly built than average.

It sounds like it's worth asking the school nurse what the actual figures and centiles were, to get proper results.

AMumInScotland Fri 10-Jul-09 16:20:47

this website has charts though I don't know where they come from. That way you can check her height and weight yourself if you want to see where she is on the cnetiles.

flibertygibet Fri 10-Jul-09 16:22:26

If you look in the back of her red health book there is a chart that shows the height and weight figures, with centiles. You just have to mark it on the chart and see where she is compared to the rest of the population.

These charts are open to interpretation I think..the one for babies is based on formula-fed babes. My son was always way below the 25th centile yet he looked fine but he was bf.

Runoutofideas Fri 10-Jul-09 16:50:46

Sounds to me like they've given you the figures the wrong way round......

katiestar Fri 10-Jul-09 16:55:33

Height and weight centiles go up to age 20 in the red book

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now