Talk

Advanced search

Or was he being weird and intimidating?

(49 Posts)
RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 10-Jul-09 10:11:59

Message withdrawn

Issy2008 Fri 10-Jul-09 10:13:54

Oh he was being an idiot. There are LOADS of them about! Don't let it put you off driving xx

EccentricaGallumbits Fri 10-Jul-09 10:15:56

No. If he didn't have to slow or stop then what youdid was fine.

Cyclists are an odd bunch. Think they get right of way and special treatment despite not paying any road tax nor having to pass any sort of testr before they are allowed to use the road.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 10:17:13

Message withdrawn

AMumInScotland Fri 10-Jul-09 10:19:39

In general so long as you don't do things which force other road-users to have to change their speed or direction, then that's fine. It doesn't sound like you caused him the slightest inconvenience, so I'm not sure why he felt the need to glare and make comments.

gorionine Fri 10-Jul-09 10:19:47

I had a misadventure with a cyclist as well once and I was very surprised, I thought anyone who cycle was pretty chilled, I guess I was wrong.

You appologised, were concerned enough to ask how he was, what else did he want from you?

Issy2008 Fri 10-Jul-09 10:20:14

And I have:
Crashed into the back of a car
Nudged a cyclist off his bike
Driven into a hedge
Driven into a pile of Tarmac
Reversed into a bollard
Reversed into a concrete wall
Reversed into a metal pole.

Reading this I think I have reversing issues...

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 10-Jul-09 10:22:56

Message withdrawn

HollyBunda Fri 10-Jul-09 10:25:42

"Cyclists are an odd bunch. Think they get right of way and special treatment despite not paying any road tax nor having to pass any sort of testr before they are allowed to use the road."

what utter rubbish! Cyclists have very right to use the road. They pay taxes, are less dangerous than cars, better for the health of society and are helping the environment.
It's the idea that everyone should get out of the way for cars that is odd.

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 10:28:52

Message withdrawn

gorionine Fri 10-Jul-09 10:30:08

Maybe he had been under you car for a while?grin

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 10:30:42

Message withdrawn

jumpingbeans Fri 10-Jul-09 10:33:40

Perhaps he just had his bicyle clips on a bit tight that morning

woodlands35 Fri 10-Jul-09 10:33:42

hi reality , YRNBU, my hubby drives a bus , he once had a female cyclist follow him the whole way behind his bus until he got to the terminus just so she could accuse him of driving too close to her hmm he is a professional driver . so some people are just weird .

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 10-Jul-09 10:34:00

Message withdrawn

basic Fri 10-Jul-09 10:37:57

I'm in the cyclists are a weird bunch group - who else wants to hog the road (ok apart from some male drivers)breath in car fumes, cycle with their two-bit brains completely unprotected, ignore the cyclist path and ride on the road all the way, etc etc. yes they have every right to be on the road but how many of them would be on the road if they had to pay road tax, have their bikes MOT-ed, have a license plate so they can't jump red lights or nearly knock pedistrians down or ride dangerously.

ItsGrimUpNorth Fri 10-Jul-09 10:38:06

Shudder. He sounds like a right weirdo, Reality. You should have asked him, "Is there anything else I can do for you? No? Then run along and be weird somewhere else,"

Yes of course, cyclists have every right to be on the road, observing the same road rules as everyone else.

I find some of them frightening tbh - they zip through red lights like nobody's business and then bleat when they get honked or nearly hit. They're really vulnerable on the road and it can be hard to look out for them if they do this sort of thing.

Of course, not all cyclists do this. <<disclaimer>>

BalloonSlayer Fri 10-Jul-09 10:43:48

"So what do you make of it? Was I being an arsehole driver or was he being odd? Would you consider it 'cutting up' and think I deserved his odd behaviour or what? "

From what you said, Reality: "I made a judgement to turn in just as he was about to cross the junction." then yes it was cutting up. Sorry.

But were you being an arsehole driver? No, of course not.

Did you deserve his odd behaviour? No, of course not.

You apologised! To hang around giving you dirty looks and trying to intimidate you is awful behaviour.

Don't be put off driving. The fact that you were well aware of him, and made a calculated decision which - let's face it - harmed no one, shows that you are a good driver.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Fri 10-Jul-09 10:45:27

He was probably having a bad day - don't let it bother you.

cissycharlton Fri 10-Jul-09 10:48:42

I remember once waiting for a cyclist to pass me on the inside while indicating to turn left into a driveway. After he'd safely passed I turned turned into the drive and the cyclist turned around and gave me some abuse. It was bizarre.

I couldn't have been more polite or safer!.

Scorpette Fri 10-Jul-09 10:51:35

YANBU AND YABU! YANBU because that man shouldn't have behaved like that but YABU because that was really bad driving behaviour. As a cyclist, I can tell you that is really scary when you're going to cross a junction or similar and a car cuts you up, even if you don't have to stop. For a start - it's not good road practice and the cyclist does not expect it to happen (though god knows we should by now!): it's the equivalent of suddenly speeding up and overtaking another car just to get round them to turn the corner first and it is also very scary for the cyclist - not only does the cyclist wonder if this person hasn't seen them or is trying to deliberately endanger them (sadly far more common than you'd imagine), the cyclist is on a flimsy piece of metal, totally exposed and this massive hunk of metal is suddenly doing something unexpected and 'naughty' because they think they have judged the distance right - but really, how do YOU, the driver KNOW if you really are going to do it in time? Secondly, as you don't expect someone to be that thoughtless and reckless, it can make you stop, 'just in case', which can then put you in danger from vehicles behind you (or make you wobble/fall off). Is it really worth scaring a cyclist and making them feel endangered (or really endangering them) just so you can take a few seconds off your journey time? Drivers really need to be aware of how terrifying doing stuff like you did can be, even if it seemed harmless to you. You can't 'judge' how much space you are giving a cyclist, because you can't know how fast they are actually travelling.

You probably really scared that man (and it's also insulting to cut someone up, ie 'not wait your turn', whether they be cyclist or driver) but his behaviour was threatening and unacceptable - trying to intimidate a mum and her kids is disgraceful. But nothing compared to how the Dutch would react - I've spent loads of time in Amsterdam as my brother lives there, and it's perfectly legal, nay, expected, that cyclists thump and kick cars to 'keep them in line' if they're cutting them up. I have to stop myself doing this now!

I hate to say it but 95% of the times a driver has endangered me, caused a mild accident or driven thoughtlessly, carelessly and rudely, it's always been a mum with kids in the back. And I'm clearly not a hater of DC and mums! Or drivers, either.

Pyrocanthus Fri 10-Jul-09 10:56:43

There are weird people in cars and on bikes and the groups are not mutually exclusive. He does sound like a weird cyclist if you didn't cut him up. Even if you did, in fact. Sort of intimidating passive aggression.

I was genuinely, dangerously cut up once by a motorist who cut right across my front wheel to turn into her drive - I had to slap on the brakes and swerve, so I don't think it was a matter of fine judgement. I followed her into the drive and said that she could have killed me. She told me not to exaggerate!

VinegarTits Fri 10-Jul-09 10:58:01

pmsl at shineys pissed up shopping trolley, ah you made me laugh you did grin

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Fri 10-Jul-09 11:02:11

Message withdrawn

fizzpops Fri 10-Jul-09 11:02:50

Can I just say that I don't drive but I think a lot of cyclists cycle irresponsibly. It is just as scary as a pedestrian to see a speeding bike approaching with no intention of slowing down.

Near where I work is a cycle lane with a set of traffic lights specifically for that cycle lane and I have lost count of the number of cyclists who choose to ignore the lights. It makes me fuming every time.

I should say that I am well aware that there are a lot of very responsible cyclists and I can see that it would be terrifying to be a bike vs a car, but walking is also healthy and good for the environment and at one point in the day the majority of us are pedestrians. The lack of consideration from vehicles of all sorts baffles me - surely they must be able to empathise a bit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now