Talk

Advanced search

grand theft auto

(26 Posts)
NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 21:56:49

so am I? A colleague was telling me today what players can "do" on that game. I was so shocked. Or AIBU and naive?

LadyOfWaffle Thu 09-Jul-09 21:57:40

yanbu

LadyOfWaffle Thu 09-Jul-09 21:58:30

never be allowed 50 years ago... people just don't care anymore. It just gets worse and worse. My SILs 5 year old plays it shock

Ewe Thu 09-Jul-09 21:58:38

YANBU

I know someone who lets a 10yr old play on it. It's just crap and unimaginative.

Ewe Thu 09-Jul-09 21:59:18

5 year old!! shock

dizzydixies Thu 09-Jul-09 21:59:36

my friend asked me to buy it for her 9yr old DS's birthday when I asked for suggestions - I politely declined

LisaD1 Thu 09-Jul-09 21:59:42

I think YABU. It's just a game, aimed at over 18's whom you would hope have the mental capacity to separate fact from fiction!

I actually bought this game for my husband!

Meglet Thu 09-Jul-09 22:00:33

yanbu. Surely it's an 18 cert anyway? I don't like it.

Rindercella Thu 09-Jul-09 22:00:49

YANBU. I remember DH's exW buying it for DSS's 11th birthday present (this was several years ago). I thought it was irresponsible in the extreme.

BettySwollux Thu 09-Jul-09 22:01:05

DS1 begged for this game when he was 8. I obv said no, as it was rated 18.

Came home one day to find him playing it shock. He had wheedled on to DH, who bought it for him.

I went NUTS and made DH take it back to the shop.

YANBU, it's vile.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:02:03

it's depressing, makes me want to get a stick and start shaking it in the air exclaiming Nintento's part in the world's evils

MissAnthrope Thu 09-Jul-09 22:03:47

YABU - it's a game made for adults.

I disagree with children playing it though.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:04:01

As she told it, you can enter strip clubs and worse! I think it's awful.

Ewe Thu 09-Jul-09 22:04:27

I get that it's just a game but is it really necessary to have the ability to pick up prostitutes? It adds no value to the game at all.

Just reinforces young blokes views of women just being pieces of arse.

AuntieMaggie Thu 09-Jul-09 22:06:41

I agree with MissANthrope - its designed for adults not children so anyone who lets their children play it is unreasonable IMO.

I hate DP playing it - many an hour have I sat in the same room with him playing the blasted thing! I just don't understand the desire to play something like this.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:07:07

The trouble is children will want to buy this game/ procure a copy (esp impressionable young men I fear) as it it is marketed at that age group. IMO it encourages crime and bully boy culture. It's not like a gritty film describing a grim reality, it glamorises these things. Thoroughly depressed.

HolyGuacamole Thu 09-Jul-09 22:07:24

As well as picking up prostitutes, you can then beat them up and steal your money back shock

YANBU.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:08:01

Need I say more? Bloody hell.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:10:03

AuntieMaggie are you honestly saying you are able to sit in the same room whilst your DP "picks up prostitutes and steals cars" (in a virtual sense of course). I wouldn't have the stomach for it myself.

Ewe Thu 09-Jul-09 22:11:54

I am very liberal and I find the picking up prostitutes, seeing the prostitutes head bobbing up and down through the window and then the hitting and stealing the money back completely vile.

I mean, WHY? That isn't a game.

NancysGarden Thu 09-Jul-09 22:13:10

(Sorry not trying to offend you Maggie...just curious)

Grandhighpoohba Thu 09-Jul-09 22:56:01

Banned from our house - gives young men a hideous concept of women's worth. But then, I won't let them watch "pimp my ride" due to glamourisation of lifestyle based on explotation of women. Even tho its just about doing up cars.

<<burns bra>>

LaurieFairyCake Thu 09-Jul-09 22:57:43

we talked about this a few months ago - there's a few mums on here let their 9 and 10yr olds play it.

AuntieMaggie Fri 10-Jul-09 09:11:30

No offence taken - I try to ignore it but if I'm in the room on the pc or something while he plays it on the xbox or I go off and do something else.

6inchnipples Fri 10-Jul-09 09:21:31

YANBU

Its horrible.

My exH used to play it.

My dp wouldn't find it entertaining in the slightest.

My friend used to let her son play it when he was around 10. He is currently in a young offenders doing a 2 year sentence. Not that he was sentenced for playing Grand theft auto but for me it kind of sets the scene for the kind of parenting he received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now