Talk

Advanced search

DD, school and temp tattoos

(26 Posts)

DD (8) had some really nice temporary tattoos done at the weekend, glitter ones with stencils and glue. I did warn her that school would probably tell her they had to come off. In the mean time we've been washing very carefully round them at bathtime. grin

Well she comes out of school today and is really upset as the head's told her to take them off.

She wants to wear a cardigan tomorrow so noone notices them. Part of me thinks she's at school and has to conform to the rules, etc whatever. But then a little part of me thinks that they're not doing any harm, its not like wearing jewellery which could be a health and safety issue. Why's it a problem?

Should I just tell her she has to conform and scrub them off tonight even though I can see no good reason for having to take them off?

crazylizzy Thu 09-Jul-09 17:25:05

YAB a little bit U. Rules are rules, sometimes I don't agree with certain rules but still have to follow them. If you warned your DD school might object then at least she'd had bit or a pre-warning.

GrapefruitMoon Thu 09-Jul-09 17:28:47

Well not wearing school uniform isn't a H&S issue but I bet you still make her wear one?

FimbleHobbs Thu 09-Jul-09 17:29:12

As its Friday tomorrow I'd prob turn a blind eye/forget to get her to wash them off and let her wear a cardigan tomorrow (assuming its chilly like it is today).

Then she can still have them over the weekend and scrub them off on Sunday night.

Pick your battles I think.

BCNS Thu 09-Jul-09 17:29:34

next time give her a temp tattoo on her bum lol.. no-one will see it and tell her to take them off

KIMItheThreadSlayer Thu 09-Jul-09 17:30:55

I think you need to get them washed off as teaching her to disobey the rules she does not like is not going to do her any good in the long term

paisleyleaf Thu 09-Jul-09 17:31:39

Not long til summer hols
My DD's looking forward to getting her toenails painted then

Milliways Thu 09-Jul-09 17:32:45

Can she wear a long sleeved blouse?

My DD had some Disney transfers put on in Florida at vast expense. She kept them hidden at school for long enough to show her friends

Loshad Thu 09-Jul-09 17:35:06

you knew she would be told to take them off - why are you surprised? If you want to teach her it's ok to do as you fancy and deliberately defy the head then leave them on.

FimbleHobbs Thu 09-Jul-09 17:41:56

Is it always best to teach a child to follow rules no matter what? I would have thought its better (in a character building way) to teach a child to question things that don't make sense.

For e.g. when I was at school girls weren't allowed to wear trousers until we made a fuss about it.

posiedullardparker Thu 09-Jul-09 17:44:04

The Head has told her to remove them anything but swift removal is teaching your dd that she can disobey the Head teachershock.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 09-Jul-09 17:44:25

Tattoos and trousers are hardly the same.

The Head has said they have to come off so you will have accept any consequences if she doesn't take them off.

Summer holidays soon - plenty of time for all this.

posiedullardparker Thu 09-Jul-09 17:45:29

it is not character building for an eight year old to continue to have a temporary tattoo when the head teacher has asked her to remove it.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 09-Jul-09 17:46:42

If she doesn't remove them and get punished what will you do?

No, you're right. I don't want her to think its OK to disobey the teacher so she will be scrubbed tonight. Thanks.

blametheparents Thu 09-Jul-09 17:51:13

I would remove the tattoos for tomorrow, but then I am a rule follower.

posiedullardparker Thu 09-Jul-09 17:51:54

Why don't you coerce let heer make the decision?

I'll try and coerce her into making hte right decision, I have my doubts that she will though. Will have to lay the guilt on thick of disappointing her teacher, etc. grin

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 09-Jul-09 18:13:22

schools are weird, we arent allowed tattoos/nail polish

dont see the harm in it myself but there we go

i would kinda forget to waah them off tonight, and then make sure gone by sunday

normally nail polish remover gets rid of them
next time have them top of arm so hidden grin

aGalChangedHerName Thu 09-Jul-09 18:17:28

If the head had asked them to be removed then she has to really doesn't she?

Stupid bloody rule imo. It's only a temporary tattoo after all!!

Takver Thu 09-Jul-09 18:42:37

IMO stupid rules teach children that rules are stupid . . . and then they are more likely to break sensible rules that are there for people's safety.

I would let your dd make her own decision - at age 8 I would have thought she was old enough to make a reasoned judgement and argue her corner if she wanted to.

atworknotworking Thu 09-Jul-09 18:43:56

This is so wierd DH and I were talking to DD about uniforms and teachers and stuff last night. DD was upset as a girl, was in her words "bawled at" by headmistress as she hadn't said "good morning Mrs X" with her group in assembly DD said she looked a bit daydreamy and tired, aparently this HT went on at some length chastising this little girl about 7yrs, as well as dragging other teachers into the conversation, and made her say the good morning thing, needless to say this LO was crying by the end of it and DD said some of the other children had wobbly chins too.

Apparently this happens quite often in assembly if the children have the wrong colour bobbles ie, pink, or patterned socks etc as they arn't school colours, I'm not sure where I stand on it as I do think the children should wear uniform as it helps with a sense of belonging, community and pride in school, but I think things can often be taken to the extreme, which IMO making a child cry because they have the wrong bobble or headband on is.

A parent friend at the same school said she got a letter home because her DD had shorts on one day during summer (the grey school tailored style ones) apparently these are not appropriate for girls to wear hmm

Part of me thinks as school uniform is not compulsary until senior school anyway, why all the fuss and then a bit of me thinks well it gives the children a little responsiblity.

Sooo ATM cos I'm knarked that this child was so upset by a teacher I reckon you should let her keep it after all if is Friday tomorrow then she can wash it off reday for Monday smile

Well she's washed 2 of them off tonight and says she will wash the last 2 off on Sunday. She'll wear a cardigan tomorrow as its chilly and they will be covered up anyway.

MissSunny Thu 09-Jul-09 21:32:14

Message withdrawn

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 09-Jul-09 21:37:28

2 off and 2 on - well thats 1/2 a compromise smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now