Talk

Advanced search

To continue lying to DH?

(19 Posts)
MotherNoOther Thu 09-Jul-09 14:15:31

I've done something silly.

DH inherited some money at the start of the year. We bought a new car and at that time, my parents needed a car so we offered them our old one for £50 - it was 6 years old and runs perfectly. My parents are very short of money as my Mum hasn't got a job and my DH suggested after a while that we just give them the car. We didn't discuss it any more and I foolishly went ahead and told them it was theirs to keep and not to worry about the money.

Now my DH seems to have forgotten this conversation and is expecting them to pay something each month for it. He is asking me where the money is and I am to worried to tel him the truth.

What do I do now? I know it is all my fault but I know this is going to cause trouble.

MotherNoOther Thu 09-Jul-09 14:16:04

Sorry, for £500.

Keyboard is playing up!

Tamarto Thu 09-Jul-09 14:17:05

How is it your fault that he has forgotten a conversation you had? hmm

Lulumama Thu 09-Jul-09 14:18:02

you have to talk to DH, he is going ot notice that the £500 has not reappeared. if DH was the one who suggested you gave them the car, is it really something he would have forgotten?

you need to discuss this before it becomes even more of an issue\

it's not your fault if DH suggested i t

Jackstini Thu 09-Jul-09 14:18:03

Not sure what the issue is.
Your DH suggested after a while that you give them the car - just tell him that you did what he suggested.
Why do you think you are silly or foolish and this will cause trouble - is there something more to this?

sayithowitis Thu 09-Jul-09 14:18:48

If your DH suggested it to you, then from what you say, you merely relayed that to your parents. so, no, it is not your fault, but his! I think you just have to remind him that he said you should just give the car to your parents so that's what you did.

PrincessToadstool Thu 09-Jul-09 14:20:19

Why are you worried? It was his idea.

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Jul-09 14:21:33

"my DH suggested after a while that we just give them the car."

Therefore what you did next was NOT "foolish" - you were acting on his suggestion

I am worried that you are worried to tell him - why? Are you scared how he will react? If it was me I would just say "DH don't you remember you said they could have it - we discussed this"

You can't exactly ask your mum for money now.

doggiesayswoof Thu 09-Jul-09 14:23:02

Just re-read your thread title and I don't understand - why are you currently lying to him?

Longtalljosie Thu 09-Jul-09 14:24:37

Are you afraid of your husband? You sound like you are.

Rhubarb Thu 09-Jul-09 14:25:14

Or did she mean that he agreed to give them the car temporarily until they got some money?

anniemac Thu 09-Jul-09 14:29:57

Message withdrawn

screamingabdab Thu 09-Jul-09 14:30:43

Clarification needed, so we can judge make reasonable suggestions

unavailable Thu 09-Jul-09 14:34:36

If he did suggest giving them the car as a gift, surely he cant have properly forgotton. Maybe he just needs a little reminder - e.g. "remember when you suggested we give them the car? Well, I've told them this already"

DesperateHousewifeToo Thu 09-Jul-09 14:51:10

I don't see that this is an issue (you just tell him that you gave the car to them for nothing at his suggestion) unless you are scared of your dh? Which is a whole other ball game.

Longtalljosie Thu 09-Jul-09 19:12:38

Unless she didn't remind him when he first forgot - ie, he said "we really must get that money from your parents" - and rather than saying "we gave them the car, remember?", she said "oh yeah".

But I'm still wondering why you'd a) do that and b) stress about it if you did. I do wonder what his temper's like.

duchesse Thu 09-Jul-09 19:16:09

You're going to have to tell him. Sorry.

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Jul-09 19:30:40

just remind him that he said they could hav eit.

don't get what the big deal is

Jackstini Fri 10-Jul-09 08:38:09

MNO - did you speak to dh last night, how did it go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now