Talk

Advanced search

To think that people should get out of the way when ...

(15 Posts)
Pitchounette Thu 09-Jul-09 10:43:07

Message withdrawn

MoonchildNo6 Thu 09-Jul-09 10:46:46

I think this is happening more and more, I have found that when you pull over to let an ambulance/police car/fire engine past the person behind you overtakes you!

It's disgusting and yet if anything happened to a member of their family they would be the first to complain about how long the emergency services took to get there.

SlartyBartFast Thu 09-Jul-09 10:51:35

i saw similar yesterday, policecar with sirens and lights following a line of traffic, one car pulled over but the rest just carried on shock

Pitchounette Thu 09-Jul-09 10:55:07

Message withdrawn

Pyrocanthus Thu 09-Jul-09 11:35:19

I've taught my children that if you're at a crossing and an emergency vehicle is approaching with lights and siren, you don't just not cross, you step right back from the crossing so the driver can see you're not going to walk out. I just thought it was helpful to the driver to show that you were paying attention - it never occurred to me that people actually did cross in front of them unless severely impaired.

insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 09-Jul-09 11:49:33

How stupid of them, some people are so wrapped up in their own little world that they refuse to/cannot ever think about anyone else's needs.

3 weeks ago now I had come home and DH had been here with DD, when I got back DD was hysterically crying and sobbing in DH's arms. When I asked him what was wrong he said she had fallen down the stairs, I asked how many and he said about 5.

I took hold of her and she felt almost limp to me and would not be roused from this crying fit by anything.

I called NHS direct who sent an ambulance. The ambulance could not get down our street (one way street with houses only on one side and did and ALWAYS has had ample parking) because a car had parked in the middle of the bloody road. The guy who owned the car was outside a neighbors door talking, I had to tell him to move his car so that the ambulance could get down to see to my DD.

He still stood there for about 30 seconds talking. At this point I screamed at him to move his f'ing blush car. he still had the bloody engine running FGS. DH nearly got in it himself to move it.

Poledra Thu 09-Jul-09 11:54:43

God, people are incredible! I always pull the car over when I hear a siren but I can't believe that people would actually walk out in front of an emergancy vehicle. How selfish can you be?

IWNH, that is terrible - I get cross when people stop in the middle of the raod like that anyway, but to not move it the instant you see an ambulance just beggars belief! Hope you DD was OK.

charleymouse Thu 09-Jul-09 12:04:51

The lady with oxygen may not have heard as My Nanas oxygen was quite loud and made a wooshing noise, made it difficult for her to hear. The other older people may have been a little hard of hearing/visually impaired/just daydreaming. I find the new sirens more confusing and can not for the life of me work out which direction they are coming form.

TBH this does annoy me but when DH recently had refresher driving lessons he was told "do not indicate around parked cars" "do not make evasive action for sirens as they are trained professionals and will do everything they need to and get round you" shock "your actions might make things worse, just sit tight"

insertwittynicknameHERE Thu 09-Jul-09 12:10:19

Yes thanks, DD was fine as soon as she saw the toys in the children's waiting room she stopped crying and asked for juice then went to play hmm

They checked her over told us to check on her regularly in the night and to come back if she is sick more than twice or we had any more concerns.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 09-Jul-09 12:16:24

I think YABU in thinking that car drivers don't get out of the way. I drive into London every day and get at least one siren a day. Apart from one arsehole a couple of years back who decided it was a clear run for him to get ahead, everyone gets out of the way pretty swiftly. It's the one bit of respect that most drivers have left. Can't speak for pedestrians though.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 09-Jul-09 12:26:57

An Ambulance was coming down our village high street yesterday and one person just kept driving. I used the opportunity to reinfor e good driving etiquette to DD and D S

GIvePeasAChance Thu 09-Jul-09 12:31:54

I thought that eyeballs. I am constantly amazed how everyone I ever see tries to pull out of the way immediately - admittedly sometimes making it worse, but have never seen anyone deliberately not pull over

Hulababy Thu 09-Jul-09 12:39:27

I would be really annoyed OP.

However round here people do seem to get out of the way and you don't tend to get the other cars just following on either. Yu might get the odd car, but never more than that.

EyeballsintheSky Thu 09-Jul-09 12:40:47

Lol yes, some definitely make it worse, including me once or twice blush but everyone moves.

Pitchounette Thu 09-Jul-09 13:58:41

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now