Talk

Advanced search

to think that 9pm is too late for messing about with LOUD motorbikes

(13 Posts)
memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 09:56:09

My neighbour has a very large noisy motorbike. He always seems to have a few friends round in the back garden all messing about with their fecking bikes,reving them really loudly. bloody boys and their toys!

I let it go during the day but while the nights are lighter they are out there til 10 a lot of the time and its stopping me from sleeping and also wakes DD up.I am 29 weeks pregnant and need my sleep!

I think about 9pm should be a reasonable cut off point for making a lot of noise and I'm thinking if going round and having a polite word. Would that be a reasonable thing to do?

The other week when dh was drilling in the back garden he stopped at 8 even though he hadn't finished because we're really aware that other peoles DC might be trying to sleep.

Surely I am not being unreasonable to ask this neighbour to do the same thing?

JesuslovesCatholicSchools Thu 09-Jul-09 09:58:21

it might be worth talking to your environmental health department to see what their gidelines are

shigella92 Thu 09-Jul-09 10:11:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madsometimes Thu 09-Jul-09 10:24:23

My neighbour does the same with noisy motorbikes and sports cars. He has a Ferrari which he often takes out for 10 minutes after 9pm. I know that if I say anything, he will assume that I am jealous of him. This is far from the truth, if I came into money the last thing I would spend it on is cars. dh has often considered reporting him. Fortunately, a delegation of older neighbours have told him that his behaviour is not on, so at least he does not rev the cars in his drive any more.

Simples Thu 09-Jul-09 10:24:55

no its a perfect time
hmm

Sheeta Thu 09-Jul-09 10:28:31

report him. If it's just occasional then I don't think they would do anything, but it's it's going to be like this for the rest of the summer I'd have a word now.

8pm is a bit late for drilling btw as well (IMHO)

Momdeguerre Thu 09-Jul-09 10:32:44

Don't report him yet!! Talk to him - how pissed off would you be if you got a letter from environmental health saying your neighbour had complained about noise and had not even bothered to speak with you??

You are adults - speak to him - if he is rude or refuses then take it to environmental health.

He might not have even considered that it is disturbing anyone?

Sheeta Thu 09-Jul-09 10:38:35

Momdeguerre has a point - sorry, feeling ranty this morning blush

Momdeguerre Thu 09-Jul-09 10:45:53

He he - I have mornings like that too!! grin

memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 10:48:41

I accept that drilling was probably a bit late but it was the one and only time we DH has done it, and we won't do it again

This neighbour has been doing this for months since he got his new toy, its pretty much every night and goes on til about 10/11 some nights.

I'm not going to report him yet, i'm just nervous about speaking to him, feel like just popping a note though his door but that seems a bit rude.

Momdeguerre Thu 09-Jul-09 10:57:31

Think you are going to have to just go and speak to him - be polite and leave it if he is unreasonable. Just explain as above, it keeps your DD awake and ask if he could restrict his play time to reasonable hours.

I think just dropping a note through will just annoy him and it seems a bit childlike. You are both adults.

Do you know if he is living in private/rented/council property? If talking to him does not work then you may find that talking to the council or landlord is way more effective and quicker than environmental health.

memoo Thu 09-Jul-09 11:12:07

Will you come with me so i can hide behind you momdeguerre?? grin

Momdeguerre Thu 09-Jul-09 14:46:06

Ha ha - yes, no problem wink.

Honest - you will be fine - just keep in light and if you don't feel like you are getting anywhere then just leave it - no point in getting into any sort of debate over it and then just go via the formal route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now