Talk

Advanced search

...to expect T Mobile to let me out of my contract when they admit they can't cover my home any more?

(14 Posts)
missingtheaction Thu 09-Jul-09 08:38:53

Until about 10 days ago we had excellent mobile signal in my home from T Mobile, so we all have T Mobile phones. Then suddenly the signal disappeared. Multiple calls later I am told the service is 'being upgraded' and they offer me 50% line rental for 3 months.

So they now want me to pay 50% for something that they admit no longer works and that I would never have bought if I'd know it was going to happen.

Luckily one phone is out of contract but I think they should let me out of the the other two contracts. AIBU? are they being cheeky? any suggestions?

blowninonabreeze Thu 09-Jul-09 08:42:38

I saw a piece on watchdog about this a few months ago. It may be worth searching their archive. IIRC it was T mobile in that case too.

The people concerned in that program didn't have to pay in the end so a precident has been set.
Good luck

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Thu 09-Jul-09 08:42:50

Message withdrawn

dilemma456 Thu 09-Jul-09 08:43:59

Message withdrawn

LadyPinkofPinkerton Thu 09-Jul-09 08:46:37

I have had this more than once in the past with different companies and have been let out of contract.

You should be ablt to cancel. You are paying for a service they can not provide. They are not honouring the contract

girlsyearapart Thu 09-Jul-09 08:51:09

you've all got further than me then cos i realised just into 18 month contract that orange didn't work in my house and they pretty much said tough. same for my friend and know another few people in same situation. now with t mobile!

Dalrymps Thu 09-Jul-09 08:53:21

Some mobile contract state the can't guarantee a signal all of the time. This is probably why it's difficult to get out of the contract when this happens, the contract covers them for this type of situation. They will probably argue that as it's a mobile phone that you don't just use it in one area and that it will work in other areas hence them charging you 50%. I'm only saying this so you understand, I used to work for orange. Basically you might be able to get out of the contract even though they don't have to let you out but it might take a lot of complaining and escallating of calls, keep taking it higher. Good luck! smile

missingtheaction Thu 09-Jul-09 09:39:04

Dilemma, I'm in Godalming in Surrey.

Am escalating it definitely.

ClaudiaSchiffer Thu 09-Jul-09 10:33:19

I had this with Vodafone. I was FURIOUS and it too me ages to get it sorted but with major persistance and throwing of hissy fits to anyone even vaguely important I got my way and they let me out of the contract. It was AWFUL though, it took ages the company were a nightmare to deal with, I'll never get a Vodafone again. So be prepared for a battle!

girlylala0807 Thu 09-Jul-09 11:31:33

This happened to my friend.

Go to trading standards, they sorted it all out for her after she could not get a signal anywhere in her flat.

gagamama Thu 09-Jul-09 12:02:11

Does their website have a coverage indicator map/postcode thingy? If they're advertising that they've got a certain signal in your area and in fact they haven't, you've been mis-sold and might be able to revoke the contract on those grounds.

kittykat765 Fri 10-Jul-09 07:57:38

I had the same trouble with Orange. About 12 months into an 18 month contract with them the signal suddenly became random and eratic in the house. The signal could go from 3 bars to no signal in the space of about 30 seconds without any movement of the handset. My DH is on the same contract with a different make of phone and had the same trouble. I had always had trouble at my parent in laws house on the Orange network (they live in the same area), and then we had trouble at my BIL & SIL's house (again same area). When I complained to Orange they said that they cannot guarantee a signal in homes or cars.

We have now gone to O2 which (currently) gives us a signal more or less anywhere. When we called to give our notice and DH told them the reason why, they denied that we had a poor signal as their head office is in our city (Bristol) and that they had had no trouble whenever they had been here. My DH said that he would not be recommending them to family and friends, they said not to do that as Orange may be right for them. DH then pointed out that their network cannot be right for us or family/friends as not possible to use at ours or family/friends houses. DH then got told he was being argumentative. hmm As if we asked to be put through to their retention department.

Triggles Fri 10-Jul-09 11:24:06

We had this problem with Orange as well. Luckily, we have PAYG, so we just switched to O2, which gives us service in our house (which Orange didn't). If it had happened a year or so ago, when we were still under contract, I'd have raised the issue rather vocally if they wouldn't release the contract.

GrendelsMum Fri 10-Jul-09 16:08:39

I had this problem. Go to the nearest TMobile shop and hold the discussion on THEIR phone, in THEIR shop, telling them how disappointed you are that they are treating a loyal customer in this way.

You just have to keep on going and going and eventually they pass you onto the right person who is authorised to give you your money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now