Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that suncream is BANNED from my dd's nursery?

(11 Posts)
Pennybubbly Thu 09-Jul-09 03:09:24

Let me clarify a little. We live abroad, in Japan. Many ladies in this country are obsessed with having whiter than whiter skin - it's fashionable and shows that you're not a working class farmer hmm - their skin would be darker from being in the sun hmm. They wear UV cut "sleeves" with t-shirts in the summer and have special gloves fitted onto bike handlebars to prevent sunspots on their hands. Practically all the face and body creams here contain skin-whitening properties. Each to their own.
BUT. The pool in my DDs nursery is now open for the summer grin. And she comes home after the first day with bright red sunburn across her shoulders and back. I'm angry and ask the teachers to in future please use the sunscreen that I've put in her swimming bag as she has skin that burns quite easily. The teacher looks sympathetic then says the rule is no sunscreen in the pool because it will make the water (gasp) DIRTY. shock shock.
I stand with my mouth open before explaining that it is water-resistant so should be ok. She says sorry, no, but that they'll "be careful".
It's a general rule here that you aren't allowed to use suncreams in public outdoor pools. Daft, but whatever, I just won't go there.
But not to allow it in an outdoor NURSERY pool with no cover, full of kids who are of the age where they still (I'm sure) are apt to "relieve" themselves in the pool from time to time is just ridiculous. Or AIBU?
And does anyone know a good site where I can order a short-sleeve t-shirt-style swimming top?

Rosa Thu 09-Jul-09 05:34:03

Amazing !!! YOu can get sun suits all over and I am sure that many shops post worldwide. It will be worth looking at the Auzzie sites as well as they started the UV protection stuff. I have always bought tops and bottoms so you can divide as needed.
JoJo Maman, Grobag, are a couple that spring to mind. Just put in UV sunsuits in Google.

LovingTheRain Thu 09-Jul-09 07:29:25

YANBU, the nursery should re think its rules!

[[ http://www.thekidswindow.co.uk/sun-protection-swimwear.htm here ]] is a good site for sun tops

LovingTheRain Thu 09-Jul-09 07:29:55

here

thefortbuilder Thu 09-Jul-09 07:30:24

if you can get them to ship to you then blooming marvellous do a huge range in the summer

Pennybubbly Thu 09-Jul-09 07:51:49

Thanks for the links grin

bloss Thu 09-Jul-09 08:28:01

Message withdrawn

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 09-Jul-09 09:43:08

what a nutty nursery hmm

i would just put your dc in a normal tshirt in the pool

and ouch angry at your dc being burnt

exexpat Thu 09-Jul-09 21:04:23

I used to live in Japan and had the same problem (very blond, fair-skinned kids, at a hoikuen not used to foreigners). I found lots of the UV protection suits at Toys R Us and Akachan Honpo in Tokyo - do you have any branches of those near you? Also Costco had some.

Pennybubbly Fri 10-Jul-09 02:04:40

Thanks for all your suggestions - My mum's sending a long-sleeve t-shirt style one from the UK grin.
Exexpat: Checked all of those and none in her size! They seem to finish at 100cm and she's really tall. Were you in Tokyo?

exexpat Fri 10-Jul-09 17:56:25

Yes, I was in Tokyo, and I'm sure Akachan Honpo did up to 130cm sizes last time I was looking (my kids are also tall for their ages) - but that was a few years back. Maybe they had run out, or have changed stocking policy. Hope the one from the UK gets to you soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now