Talk

Advanced search

to be intimidated by weaning because...

(40 Posts)
marenmj Wed 08-Jul-09 21:09:14

I'll actually have to make DD healthy meals all day plus snacks?

I'll fully admit that I BF'd exclusively because I'm too lazy to bother with bottles and that we are now BLW at dinnertimes because I'm too lazy to puree grin, but I always swore BFing would end when DD aquired teeth.

I'm SO pround of DD, who is 6 months old, when she knocks back 5 pieces of a cucumber sushi roll at dinner, but my diet is utter rubbish. I barely manage more than tea before one pm! How am I going to manage multiple, healthy meals in one day? So much easier to just pop out a boob.

Crap, I'm going to end up one of those news stories about ladies BFing a five-year-old, aren't I?

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:22:00

Ok here's what you do - find some weaning recipes you like, make a big load, put them in ramekins and freeze. My faves were cauli cheese, shepherds pie and lentil casserole. That way you have a freezer full of healthy meals, easy peasy. Other quickies (which I still use) are scrambled egg on toast, beans on toast and cheese on toast and couscous with raisins and pesto.
You'll get used to it, don't worry.

shonaspurtle Wed 08-Jul-09 21:26:50

Snacks are easy: cubes of cheese, chopped fruit of whatever variety you've got. Once she gets a bit older blueberries are your friend. Crackers with cream cheese, breadsticks with cream cheese/houmous/peanut butter (when older), toast with same, carrot batons (bought ready cut if desperate), dried apricots.

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Jul-09 21:28:16

It will be fine. They eat such small quantities that one batch cooking session can keep you going for months.

MrsMattie Wed 08-Jul-09 21:29:00

Buy those ponce Ella's Kitchen / Plum Baby ones. Good if you are busy/lazy. Bloody pricey, but worth it - frankly, I cannot fit mass-pureeing into my working week. Give them bits of your plate (BLW I s'pose) the rest of the time. Sorted!

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:29:40

Snacks : fruit, breadsticks, toast, those organix biscuits. Oh yes and don't forget ready made main meal pots - good to have some in. Ds particularly liked the bean and pork casserole. Most are low salt & sugar these days.

Noonki Wed 08-Jul-09 21:43:33

But sorry to be a pain/... no wheat before 12 months is recommended (DS has a wheat allergy that could have been prevented by this apparently, never read the advice..wish I had sad)

currymaid Wed 08-Jul-09 21:48:22

Noonkie, where did you get that advice? Everything I've read says wheat ok from 6 months.

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 21:50:21

Oats then, think they are low allergen. Porridge 4 breakfast, oat biscuits 4 snacks

marenmj Wed 08-Jul-09 21:56:13

Thanks, all!

We're still no wheat/milk/peanuts ATM so she's eating mostly fruit, veg, and plain meats and considers eating more of a hobby than eating iykwim.

She's just darling and healthy and smart and I have to find something to worry about. That, and the aforementioned rubbish eating habits and not wanting to pass them on.

Will definitely rope DH into batch cooking foods. Would you say a ramekin is about a serving for a tot?

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 08-Jul-09 21:57:43

Easy peasy honest. DS has breakfast - plain live yoghurt with either a weetabix or some crushed bran flakes and a spoonful of hipp organic fruit puree - £1.50 for 4 and they last about 2 weeks for 4. Lunch - sandwich with cream cheese or houmous or peanut butter and half a banana. Dinner is a bit more tricky but you can batch cook things like tomato sauce with veggies and lentils and cook some rice/couscous/pasta/potato when you need it. Quick unplanned dinners are scrambled egg with baked beans or pasta and pesto. Snacks - rice cakes, fruit, toast with marmite. I know here are things that aren't recommended for younger babies but I'm not too worried about that.

MrsMattie Wed 08-Jul-09 21:59:41

No wheat before a year old? I've never heard that before.

screamingabdab Wed 08-Jul-09 22:00:17

I have one word for you : bananas .

Truly a weaning wonderfood

< worries that bananas have been banned on helth and safety grounds since weaning last DC 6 years ago >

screamingabdab Wed 08-Jul-09 22:01:31

HEALTH !

currymaid Wed 08-Jul-09 22:02:43

You were lucky screaming, bananas bung my DD right up. Totally not worth it as I then have to start on a prune offensive.

screamingabdab Wed 08-Jul-09 22:03:49

MrsMattie I'm glad someone else mentioned shop- bought baby food (poncy ones weren't invented in my day, either ....)

Frasersmum123 Wed 08-Jul-09 22:05:32

I buy Ella's Kitchen pouches for DD because I find it easier, but now she is getting the hand of eating for herself she is eating bananas, cucumber and her favourites are Organix Banana and Date bars which are great.

Frasersmum123 Wed 08-Jul-09 22:06:06

Oh and cheese - babybels are a hit

AnybodyHomeMcFly Wed 08-Jul-09 22:06:47

Yes ramekin's a good portion, esp from say 8/9 months when they've got more into eating.
Ooh I've just remembered another of our quickie weaning triumphs (like you I'm never organised enough to spend ages cooking) microwave a sweet potato and then scoop out the middle and mix with grated cheese. Do do it a little bit in advance as it gets hotter than the sun!

screamingabdab Wed 08-Jul-09 22:08:55

lol @ prune offensive grin

DS1 hated the food I prepared, so had quite a lot of jars
< gasp >

DS2 rejected being spoon-fed really early on, so had a lot of finger-foods

marenmj Wed 08-Jul-09 22:10:43

I've heard both ways. DH is a bit, hrm, sensitive to wheat.

<<suspects DH is more sensitive to eating his weight in sausage, but willing to indulge his wheat-blaming for now>>

So we tend to have more oaty things around anyway and now that we've reached six months it's more on the not-wholemeal end than zero wheat.

I thought bananas were a well known constipator as well as being pretty much universally loved by babies grin

Montifer Wed 08-Jul-09 22:13:33

I second bananas as weaning wonderfood, well worth the indelible weird brown black stains they leave on any light coloured fabric it comes into contact with shock

Pasta is a great quick meal.

Chunks of sweet potato cook really quickly.

Marenmj - DS bf pretty much exclusively until about 8 months, he wasn't that interested in food until he could pick it up and get it to his mouth reliably, then his eating just took off and his bf slowly reduced over the next couple of months. At 13 months he still has bf at bedtime and sometimes during night.

marenmj Wed 08-Jul-09 22:18:02

screaming, I have a lot of jars too. I thought I would get off easy with the store-bought purees but DD has got a taste for feeding herself and won't have it. She will accept puree if I either spread it on toast/bread/pita or mix it with something thicker and load the spoon before giving it to her. Very cute, but ultimately an inefficient food-delivery system grin

marenmj Wed 08-Jul-09 22:25:57

Montifer, good to know. DD is pretty good at stuffing her face, though how much ends up in her tummy is debatable grin.

Please tell me the dehydration gets better as they reduce blush

Montifer Wed 08-Jul-09 22:27:07

I also said I'd give up bf when he got teeth, he had 8 teeth by 8 months and has still never bitten me yet, not whilst bf anyway, has drawn blood on my shoulder whilst teething however grin

I've found BLW such a joy and it seems to be so much less stress and hassle than the puree-ing, spoon feeding a lot of my friends have done. Especially if your DD has got a taste for feeding herself already, cut out the hard work and give the grub straight to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now