Talk

Advanced search

Swine Flu

(9 Posts)
SingleMum01 Wed 08-Jul-09 20:19:55

Am I being over paranoid about swine flu. The feeder nursery to my son's school has a case of swine flu and is still open. The school sent out information letters today but has no suspected cases as yet. Am I the only person who seems to be concerned about this? The nursery will have siblings who attend the school. Should I still send my son to the school, wait until a case is confirmed? Has anyone else been in the situation?

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Wed 08-Jul-09 20:21:21

you are being paranoid. it's just flu.

Hulababy Wed 08-Jul-09 20:23:39

The current advise is to keep schools and nurseries open. Shutting them is no longer containing the virus.

At present most people catching swine flu are having mild symptoms. It is generally no worse than normal flu and often less severe as normal flu.

If people are not displaying symptoms they are not contagious and should go about their normal day.

I have two children with suspected swine flu in the Y1 class I work in (no longer confirmed as not swabbing).

I am actually off sick this week as I have a very nasty ear infectoion, but prior to this I have continued going into work as have pretty much all the children despite knowing of the cases.

OatcakeCravings Wed 08-Jul-09 20:51:46

I am a bit confused as to why everyone is panicking about this flu?? Its flu for God's sake! Is it because its called swine flu as opposed to just flu the problem? I appreciate the Government are concerned but because of the economic implications of having so many people off work at the same time. Anyway you're probably better off getting it now before it mutates!

DesperateHousewifeToo Wed 08-Jul-09 20:59:28

Unless you have 'underlying health issues' this flu should not be dangerous to you if you catch it.

Yes, you will feel poorly but better to get it now surely, than later in the year when it might have mutated and become more serious.

I don't see the panic myself.

hazeyjane Wed 08-Jul-09 21:11:08

"Is it possible to catch swine flu twice?

Yes, because the virus can mutate (change). If you become infected with the swine flu virus, your body produces antibodies against it, which will recognise and fight off the virus if the body ever encounters it again. However, if the virus mutates, your immune system may not recognise this different strain and you may become ill again, although you may have some 'cross protection' due to encountering a similar virus previously."

NHS Choices website

I don't think it is a good idea to panic, but it is a good idea to be cautious. NHS direct said to treat it like normal flu, but be aware that it's effects can be unpredictable, also that people who are on the 'vulnerable list' (ie children under 5, asthmatics etc) need to be aware because Tamiflu needs to be taken fairly early in the illness to have effect.

One thing I would do is make sure you have enough Calpol, and basic groceries in, because I've been stuck in since last Thurs with dd's who have suspected swine flu, and now dh has it and is sick as a dog!

Noonki Wed 08-Jul-09 21:18:47

The reason for all the 'panic' is that it is looking more likely that many thousands of people will get ill from it in unpresidented numbers, therefore unpresident numbers of people will die (as they do every year from flu).

This means that services such as the emergencies services is going to be really badly hit - ambulance service for example, very likely to have lots of contact therefore many paramedics off sick. Plus because of the complications caused for people with underlying illnesses the service will be under higher demand.

Panicking is of course more fun for the press anyway!

Noonki Wed 08-Jul-09 21:18:48

The reason for all the 'panic' is that it is looking more likely that many thousands of people will get ill from it in unpresidented numbers, therefore unpresident numbers of people will die (as they do every year from flu).

This means that services such as the emergencies services is going to be really badly hit - ambulance service for example, very likely to have lots of contact therefore many paramedics off sick. Plus because of the complications caused for people with underlying illnesses the service will be under higher demand.

Panicking is of course more fun for the press anyway!

SparklyGothKat Wed 08-Jul-09 21:23:48

I have Swine Flu as does DH, DD1 and DS2 has just got over it. I feel ok, apart from the bloodly cough and my chest really really hurts, I am dosed up on meds, but I have been sending DS1 and DD2 into school. I am avoiding the playground, by dropping and picking them up from the carpark, should I stay at home with all of us locked away, with a red cross on my door and shout 'unclean' when I am going from my front door to my car (as that is the only place I am going atm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now