Talk

Advanced search

to think parents shouldn't bring their child up vegetarian?

(605 Posts)
Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:18:49

Unless for religious reasons.

Yes this is a thread about a thread but I think I was annoying too many people over there so I've started my very own for people to get annoyed with me here!

I just think it's mean. Meat is such a huge part of our culture and fair enough if you're old enough to decide that you don't want to kill animals... but children should be given all sorts of food in the early years, including meat, until they are old enough to make that decision for themselves!

<<Dons hard hat>>

2shoes Wed 08-Jul-09 18:20:51

surely it is up to the parents
yabu

HolyGuacamole Wed 08-Jul-09 18:21:30

YABU

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Wed 08-Jul-09 18:21:31

Message withdrawn

Tamarto Wed 08-Jul-09 18:22:31

YABU - The child can choose to eat meat when they are older, what exactly are they missing if they don't taste it before then?

LucyMinter Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:14

Erm why, Picante? Should you also feed them loads of chocolate and crisps, sausage rolls, that kind of thing...all a big part of our culture, etc etc

You have no grounds therefore yabu! smile

EccentricaGallumbits Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:21

I don't care.

except I'm not sure why someone would choose to eat a fish but not a bird. just don't get it. but was too chicken polite to ask over there.

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:22

YABU

People don't need to eat meat.

2shoes Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:47

most small children arn't even that keen on meat anyway

currymaid Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:51

I really can't see how it's mean. How is it mean?

gorionine Wed 08-Jul-09 18:23:51

YABU

<<tempted to hide thread but would like to see if there are going to be many YANBUs>>

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 18:24:22

YABU. Meat isn't necessary and why are religious objections to the consumption of meat more valid than ethical objections?

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:24:30

It's mean because meat is yummy.

grin

lljkk Wed 08-Jul-09 18:24:51

LOL at Reality-Delusion.

oopsagain Wed 08-Jul-09 18:25:16

grin

ohh, and like i give a f#=##5ck what you think

grin

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:25:23

Because thunderduck I was trying to be vaguely PC, when actually I don't really believe that either.

SoupDragon Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:02

So, I take it you don't deny your child any kind of food or drink? You don't deny them any particular experience? You don't make decisions for them on a daily basis?

BarbaraWoodlouse Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:07

YABU. I'm a vegetarian bringing up a meat eating child. I do this becuase

a)I would personally struggle to ensure she got a sufficiently balanced diet without meat (I struggle enough as it is!)
b)I think she can make her own choices later in life
and
c) her meat eating father wouldn't "allow" it.

It is completely up to others how they bring up their children however. And there are far better things out there to disapprove of than a lack of meat/fish in somebody else's children's diet.

currymaid Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:15

Meat's not the only yummy thing out there though, is it? It's not as though the children are being deprived of all yummy food.

RealityIsMyOnlyDelusion Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:23

Message withdrawn

Nancy66 Wed 08-Jul-09 18:26:45

Vegetarianism in kid doesn't bother me - veganism does though.

LucyMinter Wed 08-Jul-09 18:27:04

just LOOK at this take off!!! smile

2shoes Wed 08-Jul-09 18:27:13

so it is mean not to feed dead animals to children, but not mean to kill them(the animals)
I am a meat eater but ffs this thread has to be a wind up

oopsagain Wed 08-Jul-09 18:27:24

i ma of the opinion that there is free will and we can educate our kids and allow them to make decisions about what they eat themselves.

And why the flip would i buy meat after 20 odd yrs of never buying it just so i can give it to the kids?

I'd honestly have noo idea how to cook it- all other ethical reasons aside.

grin,shuffle off on weedy legs to check on pooor ickle meat deprived kids>

pooter Wed 08-Jul-09 18:28:34

it is dead flesh. it is not necessary for a healthy diet and in fact has been shown to increase the risk of cancer and other diseases. It is environmentally questionable and IMO morally reprehensible. (although i know a lot of nice meat eaters!)

I think i am doing him a favour, but would never stop him trying it or eating it when he is old enough to understand what he is doing.

We all try to bring our DCs up with our own morals dont we? I dont believe in hitting people or stealing, but im sure some people think that might be fun. Im still going to choose to bring him up not to do those things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now