Talk

Advanced search

to be furious with Asda?

(107 Posts)
inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 17:23:17

My husband and I have been vegetarian for 5 years and decided when we had our daughter (20months ago) we would allow her fish but no other meat or meat product.

I dont like cooking fish so use the asda great stuff kids ready meals. Yesterday I gave her the salmon pasta and broccli one, only to find that after eating over half there was a huge lump of chicken and lots of little bits of chicken throughout the whole meal angry

I phoned the head office number to complain and asked that a sample amount were removed and checked in the stores, to be told its up to the store manager to ok that decision and I would have to go and ask him hmm We took the packaging and remains of the meal last night but there was not a manager there that had the authority to OK that or anyone that really seemed to care! I was told the relevant manager would call today before 3pm.......no phone call received, so I called head office again to be told that they havent been updated anything and they would speak to the store and call me back............that was an hour ago.

The question is I am being unreasonable about this, should I just shrug it of and go oh well, when in fact I am worried that lots of children are tucking into this dish with chicken in it when they could be vegetarian/allergic etc etc

I feel so angry about this yet its obviously not a huge concern for them as they cant even be arsed to call me back!

McDreamy Wed 08-Jul-09 17:24:23

Is it listed as an ingredient?

Lizzylou Wed 08-Jul-09 17:25:18

YANBU
Lots of people eat fish but not meat, then there are religious concerns (Halal etc)
They should certainly be taking this seriously.

inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 17:26:04

mcdreamy - no not on the ingredients. No animal product apart from the fish

pooter Wed 08-Jul-09 17:27:41

I would be livid. My inlaws think im wierdly paranoid about this type of stuff, but i just dont trust these companies to be truthful about what is in their products.

Demand satisfaction - by duel if necessary (only half winking)

Bicnod Wed 08-Jul-09 17:28:44

YANBU - I'm veggie too and would be disgusted. Apart from anything else that is appalling customer service. Who did you speak to at head office? I would do the keep asking to speak to their manager thing until you get through to someone senior enough to take the decision to do something about it...

inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 17:33:09

I am seriously thinking about taking this to the press, If Asda have no concerns selling this product and wont remove it from there shelves at least it would warn a few people through the papers hmm I still feel sick that my daughter has now eaten chicken sad I am aware that it probably will happen at some time in her life but I fed it to her and feel sick to my stomach about it

Trikken Wed 08-Jul-09 17:38:31

im not trying to sound condescending but was it definately chicken? if it was then that is completely wrong. how could chicken get into a fish product is another q I'd be interested in finding out.

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Jul-09 17:38:42

I would take it straight to the press. Assuming it was some kind of error, a company like Asda shouldn't be making mistakes like that.
Presumably you have the readymeal in question so you can back up your statement?

littlerach Wed 08-Jul-09 17:41:12

Tesco did this with a cheese and oinion pastie once.

SD bought one (has always been veggie) and bit inot it to find ham shock
She took it back and they gave her a voucher.

And I'm sure that another time she had an omelette in their cafe and found ham in that too.

JoyS Wed 08-Jul-09 17:48:23

I'd be worried about food prep/contamination issues as well as labelling more than anything. If a giant lump of chicken can go unnoticed, what else is going in that we don't know about?

bigchris Wed 08-Jul-09 17:55:14

was there any salmon in it?

was it packaged wrongly and should have been chicken and broccoli?

MissSunny Wed 08-Jul-09 17:57:38

Message withdrawn

inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 17:58:22

trikken, we are 100% it was chicken, we spent ages dissecting smelling etc and it was chicken.

kathy, I gave the packaging back but noted all the codes and kept back a part of the chicken

I just received a call from the store to say they will send it for testing but in her opinion its salmon as its pink........I said its pure white and 100% chicken to which she replied she can only tell me what she has been instructed to say by head office hmm

so a battle begins!

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:01:16

I am going to go out on a limb (and being heavily pregnant and hormonal I am probably heading for a flaming...) but I don't think children should be brought up vegetarian until they can decide for themselves if it's something they want to do.

Flame away.

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:01:39

P.S. unless for religious reason of course.

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 18:01:46

Why is that Picante?

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 18:02:19

Besides the OP's dd isn't being raised as vegetarian if she's eating fish.

inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 18:02:25

thanks for your input flame.....but not really relovant to this thread is it hmm

Picante Wed 08-Jul-09 18:03:27

I just think it's a bit mean that they can't decide for themselves at that age.

mumblechum Wed 08-Jul-09 18:03:52

Is it possible to be allergic to chicken??

I personally wouldn't make a big deal about this but see why you would if you're a veggie.

inzidoodle Wed 08-Jul-09 18:04:07

Its a bit mean that they cant decide not to eat it either isnt it!

kathyis6incheshigh Wed 08-Jul-09 18:04:29

pmsl @ 'only say what she has been instructed to say by head office'.
Pity you didn't keep the whole meal though, I would trust them as far as I could throw them. They could easily deny the chicken was from their meal. (Of course, even if you had kept the whole meal I suppose they could accuse you of having added the chicken).
Good luck.

pooter Wed 08-Jul-09 18:04:37

i believe in giving my child the choice - when he is old enough to cook for himself and buy his own food, and understand that meat is dead animals, then he can eat meat if he wishes.

it can be a very healthy diet - have you not seen that thread about it reducing the risk of cancer picante?

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 18:05:28

Yes it's possible to be allergic to chicken and just about any food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now