Talk

Advanced search

in thinking that giving a child a middle name is just pointless?

(177 Posts)
RumourOfAHurricane Wed 08-Jul-09 12:45:37

Message withdrawn

Tinker Wed 08-Jul-09 12:47:50

"Is it because you like two names equally and just can't decide? Or because it seems like something you 'should' do, because everyone else does? Tradition?"

All of those. I just like lots of names and it's an opportunity to either indulge or remember family member? I like my own middle name. I hardly use it, don't need it but I like that I am also called that.

MIAonline Wed 08-Jul-09 12:47:53

DS has got a middle name, but I can completely see your point. YANBU, but I don't agree with you grin

CMOTdibbler Wed 08-Jul-09 12:47:57

DS has a middle name as a) his first is unusual and I wanted to give him the option of using a normal name and b) it is a family name that has been given to all the men in my dads family for 100's of years, but would be confusing to use in the family because of that

EyeballsintheSky Wed 08-Jul-09 12:48:34

Nope!

DD has two middle names, one that was our first choice name and one is after my mother. My brother holds the record for five names + surname as he was named after everyone and the cat

Why have one name when you can have two or three. Just makes life a bit more itnnresting.

CherryChoc Wed 08-Jul-09 12:49:02

I always thought it was in case the child grew up to hate their first name, so that they have a fallback. But then I suppose as an adult you could change your name to whatever you liked without a problem. So I suppose it's tradition which is why we picked DS's middle name.

crazylizzy Wed 08-Jul-09 12:49:13

I think you are being VU. Frankly, it doesn't really concern you what other parents chose to do regarding naming their own children so you shouldn't let it bother you. My DC have middle names, it was a personal choice that I'm happy with.

I think middle names are nice, hence I gave my DC middle names, you don't so you didn't give your DC middle names. Big deal hmm

EyeballsintheSky Wed 08-Jul-09 12:49:20

I obviously can't spell interesting. That was my second attempt blush

FAQinglovely Wed 08-Jul-09 12:50:06

all of the above.

in addition my children are mixed race. They have a Zimbabwean father and an English mother. We both wanted them to have names that reflected on both parts of who they are so they each have one Shona name, and one English name.........well actually I like DS1 ended up with a Hebrew name as his middle name and DS2 a scottish one - but they were still from a "Western" culture <<<<<she says clutching at straws>>>>>>>> grin

crazylizzy Wed 08-Jul-09 12:50:22

Sorry didn't mean that to come across as rude blush

proverbial Wed 08-Jul-09 12:51:30

Its traditional in our culture, thats why. Who cares anyway?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 08-Jul-09 12:51:50

If it were up to me I wouldn't have given the ds's middle names but DH never had a middle name so wanted them for his children. I think he's always felt he missed out not having a middle namehmm

FAQinglovely Wed 08-Jul-09 12:52:24

also you have to remember that middle names can be useful especially if you have a reasonable common surname plus a first name in the top 100 baby names list.....

Jack Jones could probably be one of a huge multitude of then, Jack Aristotle Jones there'll be no doubt who you're talking about wink

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 08-Jul-09 12:53:00

Message withdrawn

readyfornumber2and3 Wed 08-Jul-09 12:53:17

I would say YANBU to not understand it, but YABU if you think that others shoulnt do it smile

I gave my DS a middle name and will give both twins middle names when they are born.
DS has the same middle name as his Dad and Grandad and I felt it would be nice to carry on the tradition.
DS2 will have my Dads name as his middle name and DD will have my grandmothers name as hers as a mark of respect to people who have had a big influence in my life.

It also gives people a bit of choice when they are older, my FIL uses his middle name as he hates his first name lol

Can see how it can be seen as pointless though, guess its each to their own wink

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 08-Jul-09 12:54:11

Message withdrawn

MamaLazarou Wed 08-Jul-09 12:55:37

YABU.

I have chosen a middle name for my impending child, because I like the name but don't want it as a first name as I feel it's a little too old-fashioned.

My husband doesn't have a middle name, and feels rather hard done by as a result.

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 08-Jul-09 12:56:00

Message withdrawn

FAQinglovely Wed 08-Jul-09 12:58:37

shineon - my dad has become the shortned version of his middle name

He's known by EVERYONE as "Bill"

his actual name? George William smile.

willali Wed 08-Jul-09 12:59:07

IN our family (both my side and DH's as it happens) all children have had 2 middle names for generations. THey honour past relatives. One of my middle names is that of a great Aunt who died aged 10 in the War who was the last girl to be born in the family until me. I think that link to her is special...

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 08-Jul-09 12:59:09

Some of us were lumped with two middle names, you know. And one of them is so awful that my oldest friend only heard it for the first time at my (first) wedding.I still gave my dss middle names, though. Only one each and of course they're super cool names that they'll never be ashamed of.We did it cos we're greedy and couldn't choose which one to keep.

Gateau Wed 08-Jul-09 13:01:01

Every time I read your name title, shine on, I'm singing that bloody song for the rest of the day! Do like it though so not a problem. Sorry to digress. I like middle names; they make a name complete and I like finding out what people's are. Funny thing is, they usually don't suit them, though.

PlumpRumpSoggyBaps Wed 08-Jul-09 13:01:35

Obviously xposted with willali there. Didn't mean to imply any kind of anything negative re her families' reasons behind two middle names......

grin

PlumBumMum Wed 08-Jul-09 13:03:32

Its funny how kids get all funny about this, I have no middle name something I remember as little girl my friends couldn't believe hmm

Having grew up with no middle name I always thought it was pointless until dc2, and dh wanted to name him after him, and I didn't so he has his dads name as a middle name!

RumourOfAHurricane Wed 08-Jul-09 13:06:13

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now