Talk

Advanced search

to get excited about 'the Ashes'?

(20 Posts)
SpudtheScarecrow Wed 08-Jul-09 10:05:06

I don't even like cricket! But have been listening to 5live for the last 2 weeks and have sort of got swept along with the hype. I'm even considering watching the opening ceremony. In 2005 when it was last in England I was heavily pregnant with DS1 and watched a bit, every time thinking he'd have arrived by the next test - he only just made it in time for the last one in the end! So think part of it is a bit of nostalgia but really, I need to step away from the TV don't I?

Doodle2u Wed 08-Jul-09 10:07:29

When is it?

Doodle2u Wed 08-Jul-09 10:08:25

I get excited when the golf comes on and it's masters/open....but I think I might be the only lady golf player on the whole of mumsnet shock

SpudtheScarecrow Wed 08-Jul-09 10:08:55

Starts at 11 today. I am blush that I even know that

SpudtheScarecrow Wed 08-Jul-09 10:11:40

DH plays (and watches lots of golf) and I always get swept along by the excitement by the last day and end up watching especially if someone I know/like is doing well.

Niecie Wed 08-Jul-09 10:12:09

Today? shock

Oh no! <sobs>

Another sporting event for DH to bore us all with. Another sporting event that we just have to be home for.

You know YABU, don't you?

Weirdo.winkgrin

SpudtheScarecrow Wed 08-Jul-09 10:27:34

I know, I know blush blush

shinyshoes Wed 08-Jul-09 10:29:15

YABU

I am in the cricket hating minority grin

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 10:32:46

I'll join you Shiny.

Dp will be avidly glued to the tv though.

I'm Scottish, we don't really do cricket, but good luck to the England cricket team anyway.

Seeline Wed 08-Jul-09 10:33:32

YANBU - thanks to our success last time the Aussies came to England, cricket has finally surfaced to take it's (deserved) place in the sporting season. The papers report cricket NOT football!! I wish I had been able to get a ticket - I always go for one day each year to see a test match, but because it was the Aussies, they were over subscribed sad Come on England!!

Nancy66 Wed 08-Jul-09 10:33:38

I'll be watching...we're going to get slaughtered though.

Seeline Wed 08-Jul-09 10:36:18

slaughtered might be a bit harsh Nancy hmm

Niecie Wed 08-Jul-09 10:40:26

Not sure the cricket haters are a minority - not many people I know see the attraction of watching a bunch of blokes in white pyjamas standing in a field for 5 days. 5 days which often end in a draw, even though one team has more runs than the other. Where is the sense in that?

Sadly, DH likes it. Just what I need to fill the weekends now that the Lions tour and Wimbledon are over.

We'll have to squeeze it in between the grand prixes though.hmm

Thunderduck Wed 08-Jul-09 10:40:49

Surely there must be a chance of winning? Not that I know anything about cricket, and I'm not going to ask dp as he'll never stop talking about it.

Frasersmum123 Wed 08-Jul-09 10:42:45

I think we might be able to put up a good fight, especially if Brett Lee is injured for the first two games, and if Pieterson can himself in for a decent innings.

Im a reformed Cricket Widow - If you cant beat them

Nancy66 Wed 08-Jul-09 10:51:11

I hope i'm wrong but they've played consistently terribly for the past three years.

ChocolateRabbit Wed 08-Jul-09 16:06:30

No YANBU. I love it. I even ducked out of work for a bit to go to trafalgar square in 2005 to watch the procession (it was a bit pants). Love the Guardian's coverage of it as well. I'm just a bit narked that I don't have Sky and can't get it and DD goes to bed at 7.30 so won't even get to see much of the highlights show...

nimnom Wed 08-Jul-09 16:17:47

Spud - I know the feeling - I went into labour after getting a bit too overexcited when England won the fourth test in 2005!! It's bringing back all sorts of memories but I'm really looking forward to the cricket too!!

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 08-Jul-09 16:23:19

No they haven't Nancy. Not the best granted, but not completely awful for years. The Aussies aren't all that great at the moment.

Nancy66 Wed 08-Jul-09 16:39:16

I didn't realise it was only on Sky Sport - have Sky but not the sport package. Cricket on the radio isn't really the same...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now