Talk

Advanced search

Not to pay for my neighbour's trees to be cut ?

(11 Posts)
WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 08-Jul-09 09:29:42

Just checking my annoyance with her isn't clouding my judgement !

On the boundary between us and our neighbour (she lives in a road round the corner) there are a number of tall conifer trees on her side, then a laurel, ash and something else on our side of the fence.

A couple of years ago we discussed having them cut and I offered at that time to pay half for her side as well as paying all of our side. We had someone round to quote, he looked at ours first, gave us a quote then we went round the corner to look at her trees.

She then started going on about how the conifers were actually ours and not hers as the last man who had come to quote had said so. They are clearly in front of the boundary fence on her garden and the poor man didn't really know what to say to her as they are so obviously hers, it shouldn't even be up for discussion. I was completely and utterly hacked off with her as I felt I'd been pretty reasonable offering to contribute to hers in the first place and felt she was really taking the piss, I managed not to say anything and decided there was no way on earth I would be paying half of hers after that.

Nothing happened with the quote and time ticked on. I came back from taking my Mum to hospital the other day and my other neighbour who kindly had watched out for my shopping, asked if I knew about the tree man. Apparently someone had come round in to our back garden whilst I was out to look at the trees as the neighbour with the conifers had asked him to . He said to my other (very lovely) neighbour that there was some discussion of us paying half of the cost of the conifers. Apparently she is looking at having the conifers directly behind us cut and also some nearer the road behind our hedge which we have never discussed.

DH's job is not at all secure at the moment and we are owed a lot of money from it so are spending on only essentials at the moment.

Am I unreasonable when she approaches me with a quote to say that I'm sorry, due to DH's job we're not in the position to do the trees at the moment, for her to go ahead and do hers and we will do ours when we are in a position to ?

muddleduck Wed 08-Jul-09 09:32:14

YANBU

oliverboliverbutt Wed 08-Jul-09 09:33:19

YANBU - if you can't afford it at the moment that's perfectly reasonable. I think essentials come before trimming trees.

AvengingGerbil Wed 08-Jul-09 09:33:19

Not even slightly unreasonable: she can do what she wants to her trees, you do the same to yours at your convenience.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 08-Jul-09 09:34:22

Lovely, I do have moments of being irrational, just checking this wasn't one of them, thanks !

IwishIwasmoreorganised Wed 08-Jul-09 09:35:03

YANB (even a tiny bit) U!

They're her trees so she can do whatevr she likes with them as long as she pays for it herself.

GypsyMoth Wed 08-Jul-09 09:36:26

Yabu!!!

Don't hide behind the fact you don't want to pay! Tell her the truth, they are her bloody tree's......clearly, so why on earth would you pay half or anything, for them to be cut??!!

Are they causing you any problems?

AMumInScotland Wed 08-Jul-09 09:38:14

YANBU - if she wants to get her trees cut, then it's her cost. Any offer you made to pay for half was a once-only offer at that time, and does not mean you've ever taken on responsibility for doing the same at some vague future point. Time has passed, circumstances have changed.

WynkenBlynkenandNod Wed 08-Jul-09 09:49:57

I've just called her and it wasn't quite as I thought. She hadn't asked him to come, he'd cold called and had been really persistent about giving a quote and I think he'd frightened her a bit. She's been worrying about ringing him back so I told her not and and if he rings to tell him she's isn't going ahead and if he gives her any trouble I'll ring him.

I told her we're not in the position to do them and she was actually fine about it and does seem to acknowledge they are hers thank goodness. She is going to get them done shortly (they are huge) but has been worrying about who to get so I suggested that when the tree surgeon comes to do other neighbour's tree which he has been doing for years that he comes and gives her a quote.

So very easily resolved this one, if only everything was so simple ! Thank you all for your comments, I will stop stewing on it now.

2rebecca Wed 08-Jul-09 10:50:36

I have a tree on a corner boundary. It is on my land though. When I have it trimmed I pay.
Same if it's a fence on our side. If the tree was exactly on the border costs should be split but otherwise her tree she pays, unless you want her tree pruned and she's not bothered in which case you should pay.

Firawla Wed 08-Jul-09 10:56:15

Yanbu at all she can pay for her own trees. its quite a cheek tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now