Talk

Advanced search

to be hacked off with the people who tell me the burglars will be back in a couple of weeks

(19 Posts)
sunnydelight Wed 08-Jul-09 08:59:30

My house was broken into two weeks ago in broad daylight. I went to the local shops and came home 20 minutes later to find the french doors at the front had been forced open with a crowbar, and they had gone through the house stealing a lot of "boys toys" aka electrical equipment, going through my our bedside cabinets, wardrobes etc. A lot of the stuff belonged to the kids who are pretty upset. We've only been here since February - first house we have bought in Australia after renting for 18 months - and I thought it was a really safe area so I'm feeling really unsettled. We can't afford to move but all of a sudden the shine has gone off the whole thing. I could do with some tlc but I've lost track of the number of people who have told me cheerfully that the burglars will be back in a few weeks when the insurance pays up because they know what we have now!!! Maybe statistically they're right but it's freaking me out.

Simples Wed 08-Jul-09 09:00:14

well so are they unreasonable?
you have answered your own q

sunnydelight Wed 08-Jul-09 09:02:54

That wasn't the question simples. Apt name.

MIAonline Wed 08-Jul-09 09:03:25

some people just love to wallow in misery and are keen to point out the worst case scenario.

They are not very tactful and should understand that being burgled can be unsettling and it is the last thing you want to hear.

Yes you know the stats, doesn't mean you want to hear it YANBU.

Simples Wed 08-Jul-09 09:05:35

"Maybe statistically they're right"

so they are warnign you

sheesh

next thing is " why did no one tell me"

harleyd Wed 08-Jul-09 09:05:42

yanbu
people said that to me lots
and i still get hacked off at the people who tell me 6 months later that my laptops are probably lying in a hedge somewhere

fishie Wed 08-Jul-09 09:08:36

i didn't know that re burglars returning. maybe it is more because one's house is physically easier to get into and therefore more likely to be burgled anyway.

sunnydelight i think you are talking about your burglary too much if you have lost track of the number of people who are being rude about it!

Simples Wed 08-Jul-09 09:09:21

wink

spicemonster Wed 08-Jul-09 09:10:47

Perhaps they're telling you so you get your security sorted? Can you get the police round to advise?

I'm sorry - I've been burgled a few times and it really sucks

hobbgoblin Wed 08-Jul-09 09:10:48

It's true though and forewarned is forearmed. I understand it is unnerving and upsetting though.

CMOTdibbler Wed 08-Jul-09 09:11:29

Alas they are right - so get the locks changed, and up the security on the house.

It is crap being burgled, but don't let the gits put you off the house

Alestorm Wed 08-Jul-09 09:12:42

Sorry but I'm with Simples on this one <<baa>>

Have you upgraded your security? We have very vulnerable french doors but luckily they're at the back where it's very difficult to get round to. The new PVC styley type ones are very hard to open (I'm told) and maybe you should get an alarm?

I can totally understand why you'd be feeling unsettled though - must be horrible.

sunnydelight Wed 08-Jul-09 09:19:35

It's Fort Knox around here now so I defy anyone to try the same again grin We have locks on locks, motion sensitive lights outside, alarms on internal doors etc. etc. Was just looking for a bit of sympathy (it is wine o'clock here after all) but have been on mumsnet long enough to know better than to do that on AIBU!!!!!

Longtalljosie Wed 08-Jul-09 09:26:10

Well I feel sorry for you. Yes, they're right, but that doesn't mean having to hear it every five minutes isn't unsettling and upsetting. I had it after I was burgled too. You feel violated enough without having to feel like you're going to be re-invaded. I think both statements can be equally true.

ninedragons Wed 08-Jul-09 09:36:13

You poor bugger. I have the utmost sympathy for anyone who's been burgled - it's a truly horrible feeling.

Any chance of getting a dog? We lived in a fairly isolated village in Hong Kong and people were burgled regularly, until one of our neighbours bought an Alsatian that had free run of all the gardens.

Even if they do come back, they'll take one look at your upgraded security and tiptoe off to find an easier target. So what if they deduce you'll have a new laptop and a Wii? So does every other house on the street. Probably 50% of the stimulus bonuses were spent on Wiis, and the other 50% on new laptops.

sunnydelight Wed 08-Jul-09 09:43:46

Funny enough, the police suggested that a dog is better than a burglar alarm. Am working on DH about that one, we were thinking more a king charles spaniel than an alsation though!

ninedragons Wed 08-Jul-09 09:47:30

Anything that barks and kicks up a fuss is fine.

The people who bought the Alsatian allowed their children to name it. If the burglars had known that they were being chased by a dog called Cute Cute they would have been very ashamed.

Longtalljosie Wed 08-Jul-09 12:26:59

grin

One thing you can do as a practical measure, is when your boys toys are replaced, you either put the boxes in the loft for the time being or take them to the recycling centre, rather than putting them in your own recycle bin. Having a big box marked "Sony" in the green bin is a bit of a clue

Momdeguerre Wed 08-Jul-09 13:31:04

I would not credit burglars with having enough brains to come back when they 'know' the insurance has paid up.

Burglary is an opportunist crime for most offences - if you have upgraded your security and you take care not to advertise your valubles (including flash cars) then I would suggest you are not at a higher risk of burglary - probably safer than before.

I would also stop telling people you were burgled. grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now