Talk

Advanced search

to send a birthday invitation wrapped in a chocolate bar?

(23 Posts)
whoisasking Tue 07-Jul-09 23:21:45

OK, so my lovely DS will be 9 and I am planning a "Willy Wonka" themed party.

I've bought a box of "Wonka" chocolate bars and have worked out a way that I can slip a golden ticket (which contains all of the party invitation details on it) into the wrapping.

I've suddenly had a fit of the vapours that the parents' of the kids invited will get cross that I am peddling chocolate to their Dc if I hand out chocolate without their permission. argh!

Disclaimer: I am aware that this is a petty blimming AIBU but I am suddenly really worried that I am going to piss someone off.

So...AIBU to give a chocolate bar as a party invite?

Uriel Tue 07-Jul-09 23:23:27

I'd be worried the kids wouldn't notice the ticket!

Scorpette Tue 07-Jul-09 23:26:43

Just pray that they don't get the wrong end of the stick and turn up thinking they've won a competition to go round your magical chocolate factory! wink

Sounds a really clever, creative idea - I think parents will accept that chocolate + birthday parties are an established pairing.

shockers Tue 07-Jul-09 23:34:35

I think it's a lovely idea, just hope they understand there's an invite in there! ( I like parents who give chocolate... my kids go atmospheric on a lot of sweeties!)

pjmama Tue 07-Jul-09 23:36:07

Would it be feasible to just check with the parents beforehand that they're okay with it? Then you can weed out the ones that are against it (and send a normal invite) and also get those that are cool with it to make sure the kids don't miss the tickets in the frenzy to rip off the wrapper! Win - win?

Qally Tue 07-Jul-09 23:36:16

I think it's a genius idea, they're 9 after all - old enough for any parental delusions about carrot sticks at parties to have worn off! And any kid with a real allergy is old enough to steer clear, too.

It's such a good idea I plan to nick it in a few years for ds. Hope that's okay!

queenofthenewyear Tue 07-Jul-09 23:41:19

There might be some parents who wouldn't want you giving chocs to their kids, but if you give the invite to the parent first, then they can decide if and when to pass the chocolate on - everyone's happy. I don't give chocs to DD's friends at nursery - when it's her birthday I give Humzingers fruit sticks - no sugar, 100% dried fruit and really attractive shiny colourful wrappers. Then no-one can take offence...

whoisasking Tue 07-Jul-09 23:46:01

Ahhh, the relief! (so far at least)

The invite reads as this: (For Qally)

My invite reads:

GOLDEN TICKET

Greetings to you, the lucky finder of this golden ticket! You are invited to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory to celebrate DS 9th Birthday!

Willy Wonka has temporarily moved his operations to:My Address

Present this ticket at 3 O’clock on xxx August 2009 for a 2 hour trip around the factory.

Please contact the factory to let us know if you are able to attend.

Pjam
Customer Services Number - My number

(Please be advised that Willy Wonka, His Factory or his staff cannot be held responsible for any naughty children being turned into blueberries/sucked up pipes/turned into tiny tiny people etc)

pfmama - It's a bit difficult to weed out the parents' to be honest, because I work FT and don't see many of them in the playground. I sent advent calenders as an xmas party invite a few years ago (ones with choc in them) and that seemed to not be an issue.

I guess I was just having a moment of doubt and wanted to canvas opinions!

ClaudiaSchiffer Tue 07-Jul-09 23:46:54

Fabulous idea; like qally says, any 9 yr old will know if they are allergic to choc or not. Also, apols to queenofthenewyear and totally understand for nursery kiddies, but would a NINE year old be happy with a humzinger???!! Realy? grin

Also loving your 'fit of the vapours'.

MIAonline Tue 07-Jul-09 23:49:36

Just go for it, if they complain just say haughtily 'well I did check it out on MN AIBU and was reassured that it was a fantastic idea actually' grin

whoisasking Tue 07-Jul-09 23:50:37

grin

I am an old lady!

Thunderduck Tue 07-Jul-09 23:54:25

Can you send one to me? Just the chocolate bar please.

pickyvic Tue 07-Jul-09 23:55:02

genius idea! love it!

whoisasking Tue 07-Jul-09 23:57:09

I am ashamed to say that I have eaten 2, YES TWO, of the bars that were shipped to me.

Bloody Hell.

(Research purposes only naturally.)

Laquitar Wed 08-Jul-09 00:03:40

You will be accused of contributing to the country's obesity. You 'll be arrested woman grin

Kazzi79 Wed 08-Jul-09 00:06:23

I think its a brilliant idea....any complaints then feel free to send the unwanted chocolate bars to me

Qally Wed 08-Jul-09 00:14:23

Thank you! Have C&P for future reference.

(And any parents likely to be precious about chocolate are in trouble with attendance at a birthday party anyway, IMO. A healthy balanced diet doesn't mean no treats - that approach is obsessional and not therefore healthy/balanced.)

Repeat: idea of pure brilliance. In fact I think there needs to be a thread in Parenting on party ideas. Good old fashioned creativity, even if someone else's.

Laquitar Wed 08-Jul-09 00:20:35

Organic seagrass bar? grin

whoisasking Wed 08-Jul-09 00:44:21

grin

Now, why didn't I think of that? laquitar

Thanks all! I shall send the DS to school with the box of chocolate bars safely tucked under his arm (ewww) without fear of reprisal.

(I'm sure there'll be a slew of "JESUS NO!" answers in the morning!)

girlsyearapart Wed 08-Jul-09 09:47:57

Totally cannot remember the name of the website (something to do with parties??) but my dcs got party bags with chocolate bars with photo of birthday girl on and thanks for coming to my party printed on the wrappers. Thought it was lovely. Though dd2 allergic to (most everything) chocolate so may become an issue when she gets older. At 9 your dc probably knows if there are any seriously allergic kids invited so you could send something different for them? Sounds like fab party idea and i'm jealous of how creative you sound!!

MamaLazarou Wed 08-Jul-09 10:09:03

Can I be a wet blanket? Although the choclate bar invitaion is a lovely idea, if I was 9 and received that invitation, I would be very disappointed to discover that it was NOT a trip to a chocolate factory, but just a normal birthday party. I think you're making the party sound much more exciting that it is.

Pyrocanthus Wed 08-Jul-09 10:09:10

I agree that children are very aware of allergies amongst their classmates.

Also, irrelevantly, fruit bars often contain a heck of a lot of concentrated fructose.

Great idea.

mollyroger Wed 08-Jul-09 10:12:04

so <<blatantly hoping to rip off your fab ideas>> what delights await the guests at the party...?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now