Talk

Advanced search

To think Mrs Incredible is a shit parent?

(16 Posts)
Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 09:51:56

I mean, she leaves the older 2 in charge of the baby while she jets off to save her dh, and then lets the kids stow away on said jet, and then leaves them in mortal danger for the night in a cave!

She is judged.

posiedullardparker Tue 07-Jul-09 09:53:12

She has a fabulous figure though grin

Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 09:54:35

That's cause she's all stretchy and stuff. Let's face it, childbirth must have been a doddle for her!

MsUndastood Tue 07-Jul-09 09:55:48

I bet she'll get athritus after what she puts her bones though, you wait and see

Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 09:58:53

I do love her one-liners though. "Bob! It's time to engage!" grin

We're on our second showing of the day already. Ds loves it more than life itself. <<sighs>>

LupusinaLlamasuit Tue 07-Jul-09 09:58:56

Hey, why is it just her problem though? He works all hours, is a hands-off dad, leaves her for weeks on end on projects he doesn't tell her about and sets up an evil nemesis to attack his family.

Not exactly SuperDad now is he?

undomesticatedgoddess Tue 07-Jul-09 09:59:24

I met Mrs Incredible at Eurodisney - she had thunderthighs

Made me feel better though grin

Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 10:01:23

Come off it Lupsina - he's working all hours to support his family, when the chance comes to get a better job he takes it. She's become so unapproachable and involved with the kids he doesn't feel he can approach her. She's frustrated and bored being a SAHM, and communication breaks down completely.

Yes, he has a bit of an anger problem, but still...

OmniDroid Tue 07-Jul-09 10:13:25

Nah, she's great - I love her for (shouted) "YES! I know that is what I SAID. Listen to what I'm saying NOW!". Even super-ladies get to be inconsistent mind changing mothers. A bit like me. Now I come to think of it. Wish I had her tiny waist though...

ABetaDad Tue 07-Jul-09 10:25:27

Its a fab film. I like the whole emotional affair, male middle age crisis with SAHM part then the saving the marriage bit driven along by the action adventure stuff.

MisterAlestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 10:47:36

The thing is though, as it turns out, Bob's right and she's wrong.

As he says at the start 'no matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again', and he's right.

The family's being screwed up by Helen's insistence on their not being who they really are. Dash is getting into trouble at school because he can't be competitive and Violet is a paranoid wreck, because the need to hide has been so strongly ingrained in her by her mother.

Bob really loves Helen, and the mistake he makes is that this means he'll go along with what Helen says, even though it's really wrong for his family and makes him miserable.

However, Helen's also really trying to do the right thing, because she thinks that the system will protect her family.

Her mistake was not to leave them babysitting - or to negligently allow them to come along - it was to believe in the 'system' and not to actually protect them herself, or allow them to protect themselves. It's only when she starts to really take responsibility, use her talents and abilities to protect her family, and tells them to use their powers, that the family really comes together. When she says 'run as fast as you can' that's when she really gets it and actually becomes a good mum.

TL;DR - Bob was right all along, except in giving in. The system sucks. Don't let the man get you down. If you're awesome, be awesome. But, you know, be a little bit discreet and gracious about it.

TheProfiteroleThief Tue 07-Jul-09 10:53:41

I think she was empowering the children - the fact they decided to join the effort to save their dad shoes the strength of the family unit she has fostered.

Nor do I think she should be criticised for helping her children learn how to blend with normal society

Eddas Tue 07-Jul-09 11:03:41

it wasn't her decision to not be superheros anymore, they were made to after the lawsuitsgrin

I've watched this film many mnay times, ds loves it!

I'm pretty sure JackJack can take care of himself though, after all he is the most super of them allgrin

Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 20:47:50

We've watched this film waaaaay too many times!

lisad123 Tue 07-Jul-09 20:58:31

sorry but I think her choice of babysitters really should be judged too.

Alestorm Tue 07-Jul-09 21:30:27

I think that was Vi's choice of babysitter!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now