Talk

Advanced search

to think that you should either a) get a babysitter b) get it videod or c) get out!

(16 Posts)
daisy5678 Mon 06-Jul-09 22:18:02

Normally I'm really tolerant of crying babies. We've all been there, and I remember a particularly horrific 4 hour plane journey where J screamed all the way shock and the tuts and looks and head-shakes were not nice.

You can't get off a plane though. Whereas, there are many situations where you can remove the crying baby, and should do. I think that tonight's is one: I was at J's drama show, where kids from age 5-15 were performing various little drama pieces in a huge hall, huge audience, no microphones hmm.

The company had said in the letter about the show that, while they understood that some parents had to bring younger siblings, could they please be taken out if they were disturbing the show.

Well, clearly some people decided to ignore that. One family had two toddlers who ran around for most of the evening - loudly - and then also had a baby who screamed for the first 45 minutes, totally drowning out the quiet younger performers.

Lots of tuts but nobody actually said anything. But why were they not ashamed to be ruining so many kids' nights? I was particularly stressed by it because J hates babies and I thought that he would have a meltdown (he has autism), but managed to cope with his fingers in his ears, bless him.

It went well; I was very proud of J, but why why why did this family put themselves and everyone else through that?

I get that they both wanted to see their child perform, but they should have either got a babysitter, one of them have stayed at home and the other videod it or, when the baby screamed, removed it from the hall and calmed it...or aibu?!

wilkos Mon 06-Jul-09 22:21:39

no yanbu. my dd is occasionally a right little terror, if so we just scoop her up and take her out.

i never understand why some people can't do the same. listening to dd carry on can be so toe curlingly embarrassing. maybe they are so right on they just don't give a damn

tis a mystery to me

LaurieFairyCake Mon 06-Jul-09 22:21:42

yanbu

people can be incredibly selfish and seem to think that because they are watching their child and it's a child-oriented event that this is ok.

It's just not fair on all the children that have put the work in.

piscesmoon Mon 06-Jul-09 22:21:57

YANBU -Often they have at least one adult only audience which is a good idea IMO. Crying babies or noisy toddlers should be taken out by the parent.

GentlyDoingIt Mon 06-Jul-09 23:52:26

YANBU.

I don't understand how the parents of the little ones could have possibly seen or enjoyed any of the show anyway.

I went to the flicks once at Christmas to see one of the Lord of the Rings films. An extended family were sitting together across a couple of rows and there were 2 toddlers running riot in the aisles, with one woman from the family (presumably Mum) running up and down trying to grab them, take them to the loo 300 times, etc. It was irritating for everyone in the audience, but besides that I couldn't understand why you would put yourself through that.

At least Bilbo & co weren't distracted by it though - it's even more inconsiderate if it's a distraction for children who are performing.

myredcardigan Mon 06-Jul-09 23:59:29

YAsoNBU! It's just selfish but I'm in depair at society at the moment anyway.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 07-Jul-09 08:33:30

yanbu!!

it is a pita when this happens and so selfish of the parents of the screaming child

but

how come no one said anything hmm teachers or other parents

i had the same thing happen a few years ago at my dc 1st christmas play - she was 3.5 and we ALL were given a letter as well as told by the teachers that siblings were allowed but if they made a noise to take out

i had a right screamer/temper tantrum child of about 18mths by me, and after a few mins of winging/screaming, and parents sighing/tutting etc i asked her to take her child out - she did but gave me an awful glare which i ignored grin

again tecahers didnt do anything hmm

where as next week same dc now 6.5 has last day/awards and school has said NO siblings at all -so i will stay at home with younger 2 and mb/db will go and watch

MummyDragon Tue 07-Jul-09 18:54:46

YANBU. I frequently don't go to assemblies, mass etc at DS's school as DD wouldn't be able to cope with being in that environment. I try to get a friend to look after her, or pop her in nursery for an extra hour, but if those options aren't available I don't go.

LadyPinkofPinkerton Tue 07-Jul-09 20:00:14

YANBU Our head teacher has in the past made people take babies/toddlers out if the parents have not had the courtesy to do it themselves

newgirl Tue 07-Jul-09 20:03:26

totally agree

i took my 3 year old to a muscial event at school the other day - she lasted two songs and got fidgety so we left - its such a short time and there will be others

our school does two shows - one for those with young children (usually the last rehearsal) and another in the evening - sensible to me

RenagadeMum Tue 07-Jul-09 20:05:35

YANBU.
What idiot parents.

KIMItheThreadSlayer Tue 07-Jul-09 20:07:53

Oh you are so so NBU Some people are pig ignorant, I was at a wedding the other week where there was a couple with 3 kids one about 9 one about 9 months and one of about 2, the whole way through the speeches the flipping 2 year old was banging a spoon on the table, the soppy mother kept going Shhhh but making no effort to stop the bloody child doing it.

I said to DP in a not so quite whisper, i would remove the spoon from the child or remove the bloody child.

But the mother sat necking wine and letting the bloody kid spoil the speeches.

Fruitysunshine Tue 07-Jul-09 20:10:17

YANBU. Can't believe I have actually agreed with one of these for a change!

This happened to me recently. I could not get a babysitter for DD 21mths and DD8 had her special assembly performance and I really wanted to see how well she was getting on. I had a seat just in the corner at the door but after about 10mins YDD started to create so I crept out for a few mins and calmed her down. Even then I stood outside the hall and peered through the windows so that everyone else could watch the show in peace. I could still see my DD8, she knew I was there and I did not disturb anyone else in the process.

It really irks me that other ignorant parents do not think enough about others to put themselves in their shoes and perhaps realise they need to act in a particular situation.

crazylizzy Tue 07-Jul-09 20:23:29

YANBU at all. It really does shock me how some parents can think that behavior like that is acceptable in such situations.

This week we've been to DC1 induction evening for school, parents only, but one set of parents brought their kids (no problem at all), but during the meeting their toddler found the musical instrument box and started banging the symbols as loud as he could, the parents just sat there and did nothing! angry In the end the headmaster had to tell the parents to take the child out of the hall as he was being very disruptive hmm

daisy5678 Tue 07-Jul-09 21:34:39

Wow...I'm NBU for once grin

corriefan Tue 07-Jul-09 21:54:46

I went to look around a school for a possible job recently and one of the candidates bought a toddler with her. She almost knocked a picture off a wall in the headmaster's office, ran out the hall, started drawing on a table until a teacher left the children she was wosking with to give her some paper and was left to wander into a pingpong game! The mum half heartedly tried to get her occasionally she wasn't screaming but I didn't think it was very appropriate!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now