Talk

Advanced search

or rather: is my postie unreasonable for sending me a friend request on facebook?!?

(17 Posts)
nybom Mon 06-Jul-09 15:29:07

i think so. i think it's weird. what does he want...? hmm

he's in his mid-20s, shy, and we've never spoken a word. now he sends me this friend request. i don't know what to do. ignore, accept(as not to seem arrogant or unfriendly) or challenge him.

i always thought he looked friendly and polite, so i was a little surprised that he had only put one word under his interests - women... surely, my knowledge of human nature isn't that bad...?

what to do...?

PlumBumMum Mon 06-Jul-09 15:32:37

hmm I think its strange or he just wants to have loads of friends

Oh wait a minute does that mean he specifically looked you up hmm, shock

sorry don't have facebook so don't know these things

sherazade Mon 06-Jul-09 15:34:01

if you fancy him, add him.

if he doesn't stand a chance in hell, ignore/block/delete him.

if you're curious, add him & string him along for some post -bedtime laughs.

WinkyWinkola Mon 06-Jul-09 15:34:55

Ignore. It's easy. When in doubt, don't do anything.

Tamarto Mon 06-Jul-09 15:37:29

Some people add everyone they've ever clapped eyes on. Add him if you want, or don't but he's not being unreasonable to request you.

MamaLazarou Mon 06-Jul-09 16:16:41

"i was a little surprised that he had only put one word under his interests - women..."

Are you sure that wasn't the bit where they ask you if you like men or women and you have to state which? Lots of my friends have this on their profiles, regardless of their relationship status.

But yes - do ignore the request if you don't fancy being FB 'friends'.

BrieVanDerKamp Mon 06-Jul-09 16:27:47

I think that is a bit weird, well actually no very very weird, stalker.

And yeah if his profile say "interested in....." then that is the point that you choose men, women or both I suppose

oldraver Mon 06-Jul-09 17:05:18

So if you have never spoken to him does that mean he has collected your name while doin his job and searched you out.I think this in itself a little off and not sure if it would contravene PO rules... if there isn't one there should be

Longtalljosie Mon 06-Jul-09 17:05:52

How frequently have you spoken to this person in RL?

Longtalljosie Mon 06-Jul-09 17:06:51

Oh shit sorry, I should learn to read things properly blush.

No, it's very weird, and since he only knows your name because of his job, unprofessional. Block him.

nybom Mon 06-Jul-09 17:44:47

the problem is i'm curious, but under no circumstances do i want to lead him on...

we never speak, apart from the usual "hello", "thankyou" etc...

he's got 50 or so friends, so quite a lot but not so many that you'd think he'll befriend anybody... oh i don't know, i'm not a regular on facebook...

maybe he did just search for all the people near where he lives. but even then he would know from my name and address who i am (he has been our regular postman for 2 years)...

Pyrocanthus Mon 06-Jul-09 18:16:36

Ignore or block. If he comes to your house everyday, don't give him the slightest hint of interest (unless you're interested, but it doesn't sound like it).

sherazade Mon 06-Jul-09 18:17:42

in that case don't add him!!!
to be honest having thought about it a bit more it's bizarre.

nybom Tue 07-Jul-09 16:07:17

why haven't we had ANY post (not even junk mail!) since he sent me the friends request (which i have ignored).................?

i'm sure i'm being paranoid...

crazylizzy Tue 07-Jul-09 16:12:34

Personally I would find it plain right odd if that happened to me, BUT, on a flip side, if he's shy then maybe something like Facebook can help him take that first step to build a friendship.

But then again, interests, women, and nothing else, ignore!

nybom Tue 07-Jul-09 16:26:47

so i checked my facebook profile, and there are only two options under "interested in" - "men", "women". so maybe all is innocent and he just found me via a friend's friends... does anyone know if/how i can check that on facebook?

uh, i'm so nosy... (do you also sometimes google people you faintly know out of boredom?)

oldraver Tue 07-Jul-09 20:20:49

I still think it odd attempting to befriend someone you dont know and only know their name in a profesional manner

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now