Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling so guilty over both ds's?? I know I am probably not..

(18 Posts)
TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 00:07:35

right well today we went out for a family day there were 7 adults and 6 dc. we had not been at the coast an hour when ds1 vomitted. he then kept saying he was hot and had a bad stomach, obviously took him to toilet, got him drinking plenty of water etc. But during this time i was giving ds1, ds2 got sunburn on both arms, his nose, and cheeks.

Now ds1 is really not well and I am waiting for call back from NHS direct who think it sounds like he has swine flu symptons and I feel guilty that I put it down to the heat. DS2 is snoring his little head off and is not uncomfortable it seems. I had put factor 30 cream on him but where I and everyone else was trying to deal with ds1, ds2 got hold of the baby wipes and it seems he has wiped it off.

I am now panicking, struggling to stay awake, as I am in such a state over ds1 and ds2. more ds1 as i am scared he has swine flu..

cathcat Sun 05-Jul-09 00:22:15

Don't panic, sounds like a rough day. I think even if DS1 has swine flu he will recover fine. These things are sent to try us! Hope NHS phone back soon.

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 00:25:17

cath they have said up to 10 hour wait which takes ne to 7am. i feel so bad that ds2 got burnt

BCNS Sun 05-Jul-09 00:29:56

take the phone upstairs.. put ds in with you.. and at least you can doze while you wait for the call and keep an eye on ds1.

glad ds2 is sleeping well.. just keep him in and or covered tomorrow

and give yourself a break woman.

cathcat Sun 05-Jul-09 00:31:33

I know you feel bad, it is your instinct to protect them. But what is done is done and you can take this lesson forward to the next time. Don't dwell on it any longer, you need to conserve your energy for tomorrow.
You can't stay up all night waiting for them to ring - can you put the phone by the bed and try to sleep?

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 00:39:32

Cath yes, the lesson is i am not doing family days out again lol.

I just feel so bad, because normally (and this will sound awful) ds2 has 95% of my attention at all times but today ds1 really needed me and ds2 got burnt.
But I also feel guilty because i thought ds1 was playing for an audience as he met family we had never met, it was 2 of the dc's birthdays so the focus was on them, and he has been known to attention seek before, but not like this so i feel bad for not believing him, plus also every now and then he was running round and on fair rides. but now he is asleep and only covered in a quilt cover but burning again.

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 00:40:23

BCNS, I am not going anywhere tomorrow if i can help it. I got sunburnt as well sob sob

MissSunny Sun 05-Jul-09 00:44:05

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 08:03:15

miss, they are the symptons of swine flu..ds1 just got up he is burning n cold iyswim?

hopingalways Sun 05-Jul-09 09:58:41

ladyevenstar and misssunny, really sorry to hear that your children are unwell, but thought I would reassure you about swine flu

At the moment swine flu seems to be no nastier than seasonal flu. all the initial panic happened becuase H1N1 (the swine flu strain) is a new strain for humans and nobody is really sure how we would react to it. Because it was new, the government had to take it as seriously as if this could be 1918 spanish flu all over again, and it is looking like swine flu will be no more life endangering than chicken pox.

When the news broke in March there were about 18 confirmd swine flu deaths in Mexico city, which has a population of 20 million. All 4 deaths in the UK have been people with underlying health conditions, who would have been vulnerable complications from seasonable flu. If your dc is not a candidate for flu jabs on the nhs every year, if they do get swine flu they should be just fine.

You are doing all the right things to take care of them it is worth contacting NHS direct if you are worried - if it is suspected swine flu they will be able to give you all the details, and probably tamiflu.

Hope they feel better today here is more info about swine flu - it's a bit more cautious than I am being here, but bear in mind that the nhs can't say everything is fine on an internet help page, just in case it isn't for the few people who are unlucky.

good luck!

mumto3boys Sun 05-Jul-09 11:35:57

Oh poor you. My DS3 seemed to have all the swine flu symptoms yesterday. Couldn't get through to NHS direct for love nor money. He was so poorly, wouldn't eat or drink, very high temp, sleeping etc. Rang out of hours GP who said to go to clinic - even with flu sypmtoms as aparently thats what everyone else there will have!

Anyways, he has a chest infection and has really perked up after a few doses of antbiotics.

Please don't feel guilty, we've all thought our DCs were playing on it.

Hope he picks up soon.

junglist1 Sun 05-Jul-09 11:50:34

Don't worry, my godchildren have had swine flu and are back to their jolly selves already. It was temperature and tiredness mainly, no worse than anything my 2 have had.

MissSunny Sun 05-Jul-09 12:16:08

Message withdrawn

TheLadyEvenstar Sun 05-Jul-09 22:16:54

he is much better today, still coughing like a trooper but refuses to stay home from school tomorrow as he and 14 other pupils are off to hampton court for the next 2 days and he is to be interviewed by bbc (i think it bbc)

Knickers0nMaHead Tue 07-Jul-09 13:34:44

How is ds now? Better i hope.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Tue 07-Jul-09 13:58:22

please don't feel guilty - these things happen. So easy to get caught out by the sun, even when everything isnt going pete tong!

TheLadyEvenstar Tue 07-Jul-09 18:35:10

sob sob sob sob I am waiting for a district nurse to bring an anti viral for ds1, ds2 and me for piggy oink oink flu

KIMItheThreadSlayer Tue 07-Jul-09 18:44:16

If it is oink oink flu and you are on tamiflu he wont be allowed in school will he?

Hope everyone is feeling better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now