Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that some companies are making the most of the recession

(9 Posts)
iamtrufflepig Sat 04-Jul-09 20:52:46

DH works for a company that is still making healthy profits, however, they have made the most of the recession by forcing them to change shift, they have taken on contract staff on minimum wage and generally treated loyal staff who have worked there for years like shit.

MrsFlittersnoop Sat 04-Jul-09 20:54:41

It's called "retrenchment" I believe hmm.

whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 04-Jul-09 21:06:22

I guess that's true, a lot of companies have also taken the opportunity to clear out lots of dead wood, lazy employees who they ought to have sacked years ago but employment laws have prevented them from doing so.
It's swings and roundabouts I guess, am looking forward to the up turn though, can't come soon enough.

iamtrufflepig Sat 04-Jul-09 21:44:47

whereeverilaymyhat I'm sure that you are not implying my dh is dead wood. He does and always has worked very hard. He has worked for the same company for 20 years and has only had 4 days off in all that time.

herbietea Sat 04-Jul-09 21:47:44

Message withdrawn

whereeverIlaymyhat Sat 04-Jul-09 22:05:32

Has he been cleared out ?
If not I'm not talking about him am I ?

Tryharder Sun 05-Jul-09 11:24:00

I agree with the OP absolutely. Look at companies like BT and British Airways who've enjoyed massive profits in the past. Suddenly they're trying to get employees to work for free now the profits are not so good. It's outrageous.

A manager at our place tried to suggest that we should do overtime without getting paid for it - as if we should be grateful we have our jobs.

edam Sun 05-Jul-09 11:26:51

yeah, BA's 'please work for free for a month' is pretty outrageous. And trying to justify it by saying the chairman or chief exec or whoever will do the same doesn't really help - he can AFFORD to work for free, earns hundreds of thousands of pounds if not more, his house isn't going to be repossessed!

edam Sun 05-Jul-09 11:28:15

(And I've always wondered whether the companies that are ditching their pension schemes are the same ones who saved money by taking 'pension holidays' in the 90s - not putting any money into the scheme for several years because apparently it was fine, there was plenty of money...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now