Talk

Advanced search

to think that my bank have been very unreasonable.

(9 Posts)
pickyvic Fri 03-Jul-09 23:43:20

just casually opened a letter that came earlier today - nearly died

it said id gone overdrawn by nearly £600 incurring bank charges and overdraft fee etc. i couldn't understand it - ive got a standing order set up with the SAME bank to transfer so much each month to pay bills etc so i don't go overdrawn.

letter was VERY snotty.

just spend ages on phone trying to get through - and guess what - the standing order was a day late. he said they'd have to investigate????

i said just look at when it went in last month and the month before and when its due in next month - and he agreed that its always been the first of the month - but still wont give me the charges back until they have "investigated"!

is it me or what? they can send me a snotty letter demanding money immediately as it was "unauthorised" but when i say your mistake - now give me the money back they say "oh no - you have to wait!"
cheeky cheeky gits. not to mention the fact they nearly gave me heart failure when i opened the letter - not needed at 11.30 pm on a friday night...
AIBU to say if they do not return my call with the results of their investigation by tomorrow they can stick their bank account where the sun dont shine? im sure there are other --thieving corporations-- banks that might want my business!

pickyvic Fri 03-Jul-09 23:44:27

oh the striking out didn't work! never mind - you get the gist!

EdwardBitMe Fri 03-Jul-09 23:47:26

Lloyds?!
I had shitty letters from them, but won't do anything until the investigation is complete.

Sam100 Fri 03-Jul-09 23:50:46

If I were you I would open up a new account somewhere else before you tell them to stick your account in a less shiny place!

Can recommend firstdirect - they always take dd's or so's for the day you set them up - never late.

pickyvic Fri 03-Jul-09 23:59:29

Edwardbitme how did you guess. yes. LLoyds. its really irritated me, ive never ever gone overdrawn with them and ive banked with them for years.
they also said they couldnt talk to my hubby about it tomorrow as i will be at work- when i asked why they said he wasnt on the account...
eeerrrmmm - its a joint account! doh!

it just made me laugh the way the letter says provide funds immediately yet when i say no! you provide funds immediately they cant! angry
im pretty damn sure theyve got more money than i have.

EdwardBitMe Sat 04-Jul-09 00:13:57

They charged me for going overdrawn. Yes I did go overdrawn, but it was a day after I had gone to the branch to pay in over £400 to discover the branch was closed ofr a refit. I had not been informed and couldn't get to another branch.
They refunded me the charge and interest they charged me when I complained, but it really pissed me off.
I would bank elsewhere, but most of the banks in our town have shut!

JoesMummy09 Sat 04-Jul-09 00:37:26

Complain. Politely but firmly.

I had a prob with the Halifax the other week. Lots of useless people doing sod all made a small prob a big one, but complaints dept were fab.

Got my account reopened, compensation for difference in interest rate, all back dated and £12 to "say sorry". They even phoned me when they said they would!

Was really surprised.

Agree that First Direct are v good. Always recommend them and I work for another bank. (Not Halifax btw)

PrettyCandles Sat 04-Jul-09 00:40:30

It's ridiculous, but they really can't do anything immediately. The letter - and the overdraft fees - were generated automatically by the computer. To change anything you need to talk to a human being, and preferably not some numpty in a call centre. These so-called human beings used to exist in every branch, they were called Branch Managers. If you pester them you will probably get it all refunded. And there's no point changing banks - they all work the same way.

midlandsmumof4 Sat 04-Jul-09 01:32:17

I've found that if you can visit your local bank,take the letter and explain the circumstances,they will refund as long as its not a regular occurance (which it doesn't sound like it is). Well, Barclays do
anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now