Talk

Advanced search

or is this acceptable behaviour at a school fete?

(21 Posts)
Glitterknickaz Fri 03-Jul-09 21:24:52

We've had the school fete this evening - 6pm to 8pm.

DS1 attends this school in reception, DS2 will be moving up there in September.

There was a group of around 6 mothers all standing around chain smoking, lugging back alcopops that they had brought with them (rather than use the bar that was serving drinks) and talking in very loud voices about the size of their latest man's tackle and similar. It was like a hen night!

Bear in mind this was on school property - which I believe is probably covered by the smoking ban - and whole families with kids attending the school (4-11 age group) with their younger siblings were there.

AIBU to be pissed off by this or am I being a snob?

(apparently they did exactly the same last year)

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 03-Jul-09 21:25:56

shock

Did they offer you one of their alcopops? wink

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 03-Jul-09 21:27:32

YANBU.

Did the head not say something?

wolfnipplechips Fri 03-Jul-09 21:27:47

lol, its not exactly classy but why do you care they weren't hurting anyone.

dizzydixies Fri 03-Jul-09 21:27:53

god, our fete was crap in comparison, the most excitement was the sodding rush for the home baking hmmgrin

Glitterknickaz Fri 03-Jul-09 21:28:03

Now that might have been compensation - the wine was warm and minging.
Pimms wasn't bad though. Bit too diluted for my tastes but you can't have it all ways wink

bigchris Fri 03-Jul-09 21:29:42

can i ask where u live? our fete was on tonight btw six and 8pm!

Glitterknickaz Fri 03-Jul-09 21:29:51

Apparently the head said something last year and was told to eff off.
Nothing got said this year (whilst I was there)

wolf - I care as the boys are autistic, have echolalia and repeat things - I'd rather they didn't have references to massive male appendages in their vocab..... plus the kids are asthmatic and it was like a dry ice machine the amount of smoke!!!

Glitterknickaz Fri 03-Jul-09 21:30:54

bigchris - surrey/sussex border

wolfnipplechips Fri 03-Jul-09 21:32:03

bigchris were you drinking alcopops and smoking like a trooper wink

bigchris Fri 03-Jul-09 21:33:00

not near me then, i dont think the head can tell parents what to talk about tbh

cheesesarnie Fri 03-Jul-09 21:33:07

id be snobby about it too.its a school fete not a night club.

yanbu

OrmIrian Fri 03-Jul-09 21:33:46

Oh bugger! I was hoping someone had been streaking at the very least.

bigchris Fri 03-Jul-09 21:34:17

grin i was zipping pimms and was bored out of my mind and peed off with ds constant demands for money, lol

Mintyy Fri 03-Jul-09 21:37:17

Ha ha but YANBU.

Now please come and judge on school fetey type aibu topics on my thread www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/784167-A-Genuine-AIBU here

Noonki Fri 03-Jul-09 21:37:41

I've never come across an evening fete before why would they not have it on a saturday?

Firawla Fri 03-Jul-09 21:42:18

Yanbu i think that behaviour is really bad infront of kids, totally inappropriate.
Could some of the teachers not have had a word with them or something?
Not to be stuck up but if they want to behave like that have a bbq party in their own backgarden not bring that kind of behaviour to school

minxofmancunia Fri 03-Jul-09 21:59:41

yanbu, be a snob, I would be, this sort of behaviour is rough when there's kids about.

Came accross something similar recently at a freidns christening/naming ceremony of her little boy. Godmother and a couple of her mates totally wrecked, swearing and stumbling all over the place by 5.00pm with their kids there and other peoples

Nasty inconsiderate behaviour IMO.

Kimi Fri 03-Jul-09 22:18:53

YANBU at all, I would make a complaint to the school head.

We have just got back from clearing up at our school fete, I helped set up, ran a stall, as did DH1 and everyone had a great time.

Thankfully we do not have many mothers like the ones you describe, and the ones that are a bit chavy stay avay from the fetes and other fund raising stuff.

MangoJuggler Fri 03-Jul-09 22:22:02

Noonki we have ours on a Friday evening, con't remember why but it's been like this for donkey's

Saucepanman Sat 04-Jul-09 00:36:23

Must have been the night for it- ours was also 6-8pm! am in cheshire.

OP YANBU,O (Obviously) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now