Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

after packing LO's cups, plates, paddling pool, food etc for s/catering holiday AIBU to think a hotel would be better?

(6 Posts)
InmyheadIminParis Fri 03-Jul-09 15:39:15

We're going on holiday tomorrow - to a lovely cottage by the sea. But with two small DCs I feel as though I might as well have just hired a removal van.
Am I missing something? Or is self-catering actually more trouble than it's worth with little ones?

AMumInScotland Fri 03-Jul-09 15:45:48

The massive advantage in s/c is that you have a whole house/flat to be in when you're not out & about doing things, which is a hell of a lot easier than being stuck in a hotel room with littlies....

But why do you need to pack cups and plates for them, and food? I'm sure there will be a range of plates and cups they can cope with there already, and even people in rural areas have to buy food, so there will be shops somewhere...

PrincessToadstool Fri 03-Jul-09 15:45:58

Sympathies. We went to Devon for a week with our 20 month old - the car was full to bursting point. We had to repack it three times

Can you check if you need plates/toys etc - because we took EVERYTHING and the cottage had a huge chest full of clean, working toys, and melamine plates/cups. It was still nice to have some of his home comforts but had I known I'd have scaled it back slightly.

Stigaloid Fri 03-Jul-09 15:55:33

www.toddlerholiday.com

we went here and it was fab (we went in March with a discount - can be a bit pricey but for family of 4 seems quite good value and they have everything you will need plus previous famililes leave a list of tried and tested local activities for families to do. Plus 2 free nights baby-sitting/baby listening. Perfect)

(edit - you may have too good a time on the local food and wine though and come back preggers....blush )

InmyheadIminParis Fri 03-Jul-09 17:02:34

We've been to the cottage before (and Before Children) so we know that although it's lovely, it's not especially well equipped!
It's just that I seem to have emptied the whole house... and tomorrow a.m. will be stuffing the car to bursting point (and I always swore I'd never be one of those people) just for one week! hmm Tell me it get's easier as they get older? Please? Please?

verygreenlawn Fri 03-Jul-09 17:27:05

DH refused to go to a hotel abroad when ds1 and ds2 were very small. We spent three years worth of holidays in ill-equipped holiday cottages (usually after a five hour drive with screaming toddlers) asking ourselves the same questions - why do they never have corkscrews and why do they always smell slightly of gas? (the cottages that is, not the toddlers).

We then progressed to villas abroad, and then finally - joy of joys - this year to a hotel abroad (now with ds3 as well). I felt like I'd died and gone to heaven!

Don't get me wrong, I have some lovely memories of our holidays, but they were hard work. The drive ..... the risk with the weather .... the endless packing and provision of food .....

However .... in answer to your question, yes it gets easier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now