Talk

Advanced search

to not be remotely concerned that there is a case of swine flu at ds's school?

(34 Posts)
seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 15:08:53

Well, am I?

lulurose Fri 03-Jul-09 15:13:58

several cases at DD1s school too and at the school where DH teaches. I'm not overly worried, though it would be a real headache if my youngest DD caught it. YANBU

FenellaFudge Fri 03-Jul-09 15:26:41

Hmm, dunno.

Would you be concerned if your ds came down with it?

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 16:03:51

No. We've had flu before.

Rafi Fri 03-Jul-09 16:09:35

There's at least one at my DD's school. It's not like it's avoidable now though is it? We could just as easily catch it on the tube or in Tesco.

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 16:12:28

YANBU.

Likely case in the class I teach at. Been swabbed and awaiting results. Child back at school, albeit still a bit sniffly and carrying horrid used tissues everywhere hmm Parents not bothered to tell us though hmm We only know because of the HSA calling school.

But I am still in there and going about normal work. OK, I have avoided too much close 1 to 1 with the child - she is very tactile. But what can you do?

Advice is that you go about your normal business unles you are ill.

You are not contagious unles you are displaying symptoms and in that case you stay home and call your GP.

Obviously I'd rather me, Dh and DD were not ill. But we are all healthy people and are upping out vitamin intake to ensure we are, which means it should not be anything more than a quite mild flu virus for us. So far the cases here have been mild with people being fine within 2-3 days.

WinkyWinkola Fri 03-Jul-09 16:12:35

Is this 'flu worse than any other?

I don't feel worried either.

People get ill. It's a pita but that's what happens. Part of life unfortunately.

twoluvlykids Fri 03-Jul-09 16:13:08

Funnily, I was just about to do the same!

Swine flu in my dc's school - announced today.

I'm more likely than them to catch it, as I work with the special needs students, and they often sneeze a bit explosively!

(Wipes and handwash and tissues now live in my bag.....)

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 16:16:57

The thing is once it is in a primary school then it isn't going to eb contained anyway. Have you seen a typical Y1 class - coughing and sneezing galore, children using back so fhands and sleeves, leaving used tissues on the table or floor......and this is even after having the hygine talks, being reminded pretty much daily, having tissues available readily in class, having a bin close by and a sink and soap int he room.

JodieO Fri 03-Jul-09 16:20:24

According to the nhs it isn't the same as normal flu, it is worse, as you won't have any immunity to it, unlike the normal yearly flu.

springlamb Fri 03-Jul-09 16:31:02

No I'm not going to panic either. Luckily, both dc have good general health and I have a modicum of faith in my own instincts.
However, I have checked supplies/expiry dates on paracetamol/ibuprofen and rehydration sachets in the medicine chest. I have a few extra bottles of squash, tinned soups (in case I'm struck down as well!) and frozen loaves. And I'm going to start extra vits (and echinacea) for them mid-August to boost them up ready for the autumn.
God, that sounds like panicking a bit. No, more like sensible precautions...?
I can't be that bothered or I wouldn't have taken ds to a concert for 45,000 people last weekend.

springlamb Fri 03-Jul-09 16:31:48

There's nothing like having a plan.

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 16:33:51

I don't think people are any iller with swine flu than just flu, are they?

sarah293 Fri 03-Jul-09 16:46:40

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 16:49:05

JodieO - the cases round here are all pretty mild so far and those who I am aware of who have had it have been much better throughout thaan with normal flu, and recovered much more quickly.

Riven Must be much harder when you have children (or others) who are at increased risks from these things.

Boco Fri 03-Jul-09 16:49:16

I'm not going to stress because there's nothing anyone can do, but I am a bit concerned about dd2 getting it as her immune system doesn't seem to be very good and in the past year she's had pneumonia five times - so with her it would probably not be so mild.

OrmIrian Fri 03-Jul-09 16:50:02

No. It's flu. Nasty but let's face it goes the round every year.

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 16:56:29

I didn't mean to be insensitive - I know that flu can be serious for some people. What I meant was that I am not prepared to be more concerned about swine flu than about any other flu.

squeakywheel Fri 03-Jul-09 17:11:37

Nobody knows yet what the differences are, that's the thing. New studies like this will keep coming out and only after a while will we really know what this particular flu is like in detail. With luck it will still stay mild for most people, even for people with underlying health conditions.

After all, lots of people with asthma must have had it and not been hospitalised by now, even if lots of the people in hospital had things like asthma. Even for the people with underlying health conditions, it's not going to be inevitable that they'll either catch it or have complications.

notcitrus Fri 03-Jul-09 17:24:21

So far this flu is less bad than bog-standard winter flu, so I'm not really worried about it - and there's cases in my local school and a friend has just been diagnosed as having it.

I'm more worried about my 2 friends who work at the HPA and have been doing huge amounts of overtime since the swine flu scare started!

And I worry in general about bad flu epidemics, because at some point there will be another one like 1918 or 1959 or 1968. Luckily, despite this being H1N1 just like 1918, it wasn't it.

seeker Fri 03-Jul-09 23:52:56

I've just looked at the NHS direct symptom checker, and it says that if you have 2 or more symptoms of flu you might have flu.

I'm so glad they are there!

sarah293 Sat 04-Jul-09 07:39:59

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Mon 06-Jul-09 20:07:21

Know what you mean Riven.

I have a slight temperature, sore throat, bad ears and headache. According to the checklist swine flu is a possibility, esp as there are two suspected cases in the class I work in at school.

Went to GP walk in today as I think I have an ear infection again. They were swine flu obsessed. Had to fill in a form as soon as they heard the symptoms. Seen really quickly. Had temp checked, etc. GP thinks it may be an infection and has prescribed antibiotics but kept going on and on about swine flu and keeping a check on symptoms, etc esp my temperature.

But seriously - I do not feel like I have flu symptoms. I feel like I have an ear infection, just like I felt last time I had one. Grrrr!

MaureenMLove Mon 06-Jul-09 20:22:14

Oh how I wish you parents were at my school! We had the first confirmed case on Friday, shortly followed by 2 more today.

It has been chaos today!! The grape vine got going and by 10.45, dozens of students had phoned their parents and asked them to collect them and the poor receptionist hadn't done anything other than field calls from parents!

Totally understand those that have underlying health issues, but surely better to get it now, before your annual holiday, than whilst you're lying on the beach in Tenerifee! grin

nicolamumof3 Wed 08-Jul-09 18:57:53

im sure i've had it, but docs weren't interested at all!!! im not overly worried about suspected cases at ds1's school and ds2's nursery (will not be confirmed as not swabbing anymore) but doesn't worry me, or AIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now