Talk

Advanced search

....to feel a mite annoyed with the doctor's surgery?

(7 Posts)
Terpsichore Fri 03-Jul-09 13:38:48

Sorry, it's another 'irritable receptionists' gripe.....

I rang the surgery to find out whether some X-ray results had come through before I made an appt with the doc to discuss them. An answerphone message asks me to leave details and a phone no and they'd get back to me. I was at work and couldn't take outside calls, so left my home number and politely explained that all I needed was to know if the results had come back, I didn't need to know what they were, so could they just leave a 'yes or no' message at home for me on the answerphone as I wouldn't be there.

By the end of the day, no message, and they only do test results at certain times of day, so I tried again today on the way to work. Again got the answerphone, so I repeated all the details as before and mildly pointed out that it was the second time I'd rung. Again they didn't get back to me before 12.30 (the cut-off point for people to ring in for results). Now I've just checked my home answerphone and there's a snotty message in tones of high dudgeon, clearly on the verge of shouting, saying 'we've been trying to get hold of you and you're not there.'

Well, yes - as I explained! So if they had rung and got the answerphone, and not left a message, they can't have been listening to what I said. Or alternatively, they hadn't rung at all. It's the implication that they're SO much busier and more important than mere patients and I was out of order for daring to issue an implied rebuke. But they didn't need to speak to me, and it wasn't anything remotely confidential. Gaaah! angry

OK, calmer now. It's no big deal. I just needed to vent! (and yes, I know not ALL staff at doctor's surgeries are like this, etc, etc)

TwoHot Fri 03-Jul-09 13:54:18

and breathe

Terpsichore Fri 03-Jul-09 13:55:02

Yes, TwoHot, better now! Isn't AIBU wonderful? wink

Juwesm Fri 03-Jul-09 13:58:49

'High dudgeon' - fantastic phrase grin

Terpsichore Fri 03-Jul-09 14:12:48

Always sounds to me as though it ought to be a sleepy little country village, somehow....'High Dudgeon, with small shop, post-office (closed)and 12th c church. Adjacent to Lower Dudgeon.'

Sadly it wasn't that, it was a ratty woman giving me a telling-off! hmm

Chulita Fri 03-Jul-09 14:38:19

I got the same kind of thing with an x-ray, I phoned 3 times to cancel the appointment cos I thought I was pregnant and they kept saying 'well, just wait til you've done a pregnancy test and let us know on the day of the appointment'. I did the test, got a positive, phoned up to cancel and they asked if I was sure I was pregnant, then I phoned up on the day and reiterated the fact that I was pregnant and wouldn't be coming in for the x-ray. Anyway, the next day I got a voicemail message telling me off for not turning up and wasting the bloke's time, and a letter a few days later...wtf??
So, no, YANBU, sometimes people just don't listen...

Terpsichore Fri 03-Jul-09 14:52:15

Chulita, that would make me angryangry
I know they're hard-worked and I'm sure they get a lot of abuse, BUT it does rankle when you've done your best to be polite....wouldn't mind so much but I normally go to the docs literally about once a year, if that, so I'm not exactly a heavy consumer of precious NHS resources.

Ho hum, will smile sweetly at them when I do finally go in and they glare at me from behind their glass shields....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now