Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think our school office staff .....

(94 Posts)
MissSunny Fri 03-Jul-09 12:51:14

Message withdrawn

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LouLovesAeroplaneJelly Fri 03-Jul-09 13:04:17

you can only wash their pe kit once a term???

ZZZenAgain Fri 03-Jul-09 13:06:52

those PE kits must stink and be just revolting by end of term then

I expect the heat is getting to all of us, you know but they do sound like they're on a power trip vis-a-vis the dp. Why can't they take their pe kid home every Friday?

ZZZenAgain Fri 03-Jul-09 13:07:28

kiT

HerBeatitudeLittleBella Fri 03-Jul-09 13:08:23

I think in general, school office staff are either retired doctor's surgery receptionists, or they are working their way up to being so.

hobbgoblin Fri 03-Jul-09 13:09:00

No YANBU at all.

FranSanDisco Fri 03-Jul-09 13:09:50

Once every half term here as well. No kit no PE hence the strict reminder to return it. I have never slept in late and my eldest is in Yr 3. You must have been quite late if they thought you had been to an appointment beforehand. I'm not surprised you got a head shaking disapproval grin. MUST TRY HARDER I think wink.

hobbgoblin Fri 03-Jul-09 13:10:08

Surprised at tmmj.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jul-09 13:15:57

YABU. Your child should not have been late. My children never have been so no, it doesn't happen to all of us. you'll have to suck that one up I'm afraid.

PE kits are washed every half term here. They don't smell. Mind you, we can just wander in when we like.

Our office staff are lovely.

FranSanDisco Fri 03-Jul-09 13:19:46

I must say though that there are as many parents with an inflated sense of importance as there are office staff. I bet the office staff have a few stories to share LOL.

tots2ten Fri 03-Jul-09 13:19:49

Our office staff are lovely. They must think I am the most forgetful person ever, I phoned yesterday at about 1.15pm to ask if I could pick ds1 up from school at 1.30pm as I forgot to send a note in explaining that he had a eye test at the hospital. I get there and she was laughing, and asked if I ever put sticky notes on the fridge as reminders, so I blush told her 'all the time' blush blush

I often take them to breakfast club on monday mornings and ask if I can drop their dinner money in by 10am (gives me enough time to either find cheque book, or go to the bank)

letsgostrawberrypicking Fri 03-Jul-09 13:20:12

well be ready for the standard letter coming home with your dd today about lateness and how important it is to be on time etc that will leave you seething with rage all weekend! grin

yanbu - you could have just kept her off and she would have missed a whole day, so at least you were honest with them

Eve4Walle Fri 03-Jul-09 13:23:09

Our school office staff are, without exception, all lovely. I must be lucky.

But YANBU about your child being late, you're right and we do all oversleep sometimes for whatever reason. I clearly remember my Mum doing the walk of shame to school with us when she's slept in after a heavy night on the Gin (joke BTW). grin

PE kits washed half-termly here too. Not too stinky, could be worse.

VinegarTits Fri 03-Jul-09 13:27:03

I've slept in before, how nice it would be to be so perfect to never sleep in hmm Its no excuse for talking down to you, YANBU, one of my biggest pet hates is adults talking down to other adults, i find a lot of teachers do this aswell, ime.

delllie Fri 03-Jul-09 13:29:46

YANBU, i know exactly where you are coming from, ours are exactly the same, very condescending and annoying.

In the same league as doctors receptionist I think [grim]

delllie Fri 03-Jul-09 13:30:20

that should have been a grin

Kimi Fri 03-Jul-09 13:32:49

YANBU in the least, bunch of jumped up nobodies most of them.
I think the ones at DS2s school are more dyslexic them I am as the spelling and grammer is appalling, DH1 ringed round in red pen all the mistakes and sent it back to them with must try harder written on it grin.

Also oversleeping is NOT the same as sleeping in

Stretch Fri 03-Jul-09 13:33:48

Jesus! So some perfect people have never overslept??

I did 4 weeks ago, I am pregnant and not sleeping too well. I use my alarm on my phone to get up with and the battery was low so must have switched off in the night. I usually leave for school at 8.10 (long walk!!), however that morning I slept (like a log!!) until 8 am when my eldest comes in and asks if we are going to school!! grin Cue frantic rushing round, sorting out 3 kids and running to school!

I did phone the school on the way though to let them know. We made it for 9.25! School was fine with it.

Stretch Fri 03-Jul-09 13:35:21

Oh, YANBU!! grin

RustyBear Fri 03-Jul-09 13:39:57

Most of our nice parents give us a ring if they are running late, so we know not to mark the child absent in the register & can book a school dinner if needed.

And if you knew how many PE kits don't come back on time, you wouldn't be surprised at being given a reminder.

There are plenty of parents who are obnoxious too....

ShellingPeas Fri 03-Jul-09 13:40:14

Our school office staff are lovely and tbh if you had to field half as many daft and repetitive questions from parents, you may well find yourself getting a bit snippy.

Said from the perspective of being one of the aforesaid daft parents who always forgets things or loses the bits of paper with the relevant information, but they are always pleasant with me.

Saxonne Fri 03-Jul-09 13:56:48

I am a receptionist in a secondary school. Myself and colleagues are friendly and helpful to all parents,even those who swear at us and breath alcohol fumes at 10:00am!

Rather than be a doctor's receptionist wannabe, I aspire to be like Anna the hotel receptionist in Hotel Babylon who flirts outrageously with good looking male visitors! wink

SoupDragon Fri 03-Jul-09 14:08:00

[shrug] I never said I was perfect but I have never been late for school. I am not late to pick them up either.

I am scatty and disorganised in many other parts of my life (eg DSs are both going to friends for tea tonight after school. I have no idea of the address of either child as I have lost the class lists).

The OP was late for school and was in the wrong in that case, even if it was an accident. She just should accept that and move on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now