Talk

Advanced search

to worry about Invitations to two parties at house with giant trampoline with no net!

(56 Posts)
lingle Fri 03-Jul-09 11:27:33

My DSs(6 and 3) are avid trampoliners but are used to trampolines with nets ie they jump high and freely and rush across it bouncing against the sides.

This weekend, DS2 is invited to a 3rd birthday party at a house with a huge trampoline with no net. He's been to the house before, I've let him on the trampoline but have stayed next to it/been on it with him holding hands at all times and to be honest my heart was in my mouth the whole time. It was safer being on it with him because I could make up games involving holding hands, etc. If I ban DS2 from the trampoline he will scream the party down, the hostess will say "don't worry, he'll be alright, my daughter falls off all the time and she's fine" etc etc - not great.

Two weekends later, DS1 is invited to the same house for a 6 year old's party . He's also been to the house and, because I can reason with him more, last time I just banned him from the trampoline. Result? He ran across the garden, slipped, skidded, crashed into the underside of the trampoline and still ended up in A&E!!!!

Needless to say, the trampolines will be more dangerous if all the kids get excited and clamber on at once.........

I do not want to offend my friend who is (i)not from this country (ii)too broke to buy a net just now. But I have gone so far as to suggest that she declare the trampoline out of bounds for the party blush. I felt pretty aggressive doing that so there's nothing more I can say to her now......

HELP!!!!!!! I think the other mothers will feel the same as me.

oliverboliverbutt Fri 03-Jul-09 13:20:43

good lord.
Have some faith that your children might actually be able to navigate the trampoline knowing there is no net.
You can't protect them from every thing that may go wrong.
and what on earth does it matter if this woman is 'not from this country' and 'broke'? does that make her less of a parent somehow? Does she not care about her little diddums as much as you do?

I feel terribly sorry for the children who have to grow up never climbing a tree or riding a bike without a helmet once or experiencing LIFE without their parents grimacing and banning everything that might hurt PFB.

Nekabu Fri 03-Jul-09 13:25:15

I don't know anyone who does have a net round their trampoline! Children fall off things; it happens. I did it, I expect you did it and no doubt your dcs will do it.

Nekabu Fri 03-Jul-09 13:30:32

p.s., Sorry, that sounded unsympathetic and I didn't mean for it to be. I know I will almost certainly spend my time worrying too but it is one of those things, children learn (the same as adults) by their mistakes so I shall have to sit on my hands and avoid interfering in ordinary childhood activities!

Silver1 Fri 03-Jul-09 13:34:16

Trampolines without nets are dangerous. They should have nets and or responsible people acting as "spotters" around them. This wont prevent all accidents but does reduce the risk.
Everyone used to be able to drive with a bottle of wine in their blood stream and no one batted an eye lid.
Everyone can currently let their children build up great volicity and perform potentially dangerous stunts on a trampoline without any teaching and no safety nets, it doesn't make it safe, it's just acceptable for now.

qwertpoiuy Fri 03-Jul-09 13:34:22

Same as not allowing children to cycle without helmets, I would not allow small children to go on a trampoline without a safety net. Just spend time in an A&E department and you will know what I mean.
If your friend could afford a trampoline then she could afford a net - what was she thinking of!
She sounds a bit airy-fairy, TBH.

modernart Fri 03-Jul-09 13:38:11

"...are used to trampolines with nets ie they jump high and freely and rush across it bouncing against the sides."

This is why I never bought a net for ours. Children get a false sense of security from nets, better that they learn to jump in the middle properly, much safer.

We have had a trampoline for years with my own 5 children and probably into hundreds of guests using it. We have only ever had 2 minor accidents, a twisted ankle and a toddler falling off the side, and her mum lifted her straight back on.

Maybe you should let your DS attend the party without you?

battleofthebulge Fri 03-Jul-09 13:38:55

I agree - my friend bought a trampoline (with a net) but let her 4yo jump on it before they put the net on - result one broken leg. I don't think you're being unreasonable - is the Mum not worried about being responsible for all those children? I would be, even with a net tbh. They do get a bit silly en masse, in my experience.

How did she react to your saying that the trampoline be out of bounds?

Picante Fri 03-Jul-09 13:41:27

TBH most injuries are caused by two or more children on a trampoline at any one time - bumping into each other and losing teeth etc.

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 13:41:41

As long as the trampoline is on grass, and you make your DS PROMISE not to go on with any other children, then it's fine IMO. We don't have a net but the trampline is dug into the ground. I only let ONE child on at a time and they must bounce in the middle.

The dangers are if it's on concrete or there is more than one child

Otherwise he should be fine unless he is a numpty

If you are worried, why not stay with him? I'm sure the host mum will appreciate an extra pair of hands. You can be trampoline monitor.

gingertoo Fri 03-Jul-09 13:49:21

My son fell off a trampoline without a net at a friends house. He hit his head on a concrete washing line post and was hospitalised
Agree with morningpaper - is it possible for you to stay and keep an eye on things? It would make you feel better and would save you having to confront your friend...

moffat Fri 03-Jul-09 13:52:12

YANBU, doctor friend of mine says she has seen some terrible injuries caused by trampolines not being used safely.

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 13:58:34

Appaently the worst trampoline accidents are caused not by falling off, but by landing in akward positions after doing more risky jumps or using it with several people at a time.

So long as the trampoline is supervised it will be fine.

DD no longer has a net round hers as it broke this winter. The net causes it to be pulled over in the high winds we get here and causes problems in the garden. She has just learnt to be sensible.

traceybath Fri 03-Jul-09 14:04:58

I wouldn't be happy either and doubt very much if the one child at a time rule would be enforced.

However i have got a bit of a weird fear of trampolines. DS1 had a climbing frame instead which i know he could fall off but somehow in my weird mind it seems safer.

tommypickles Fri 03-Jul-09 14:05:02

Oliver-What!!??

I have 3 children between 4 and 13, I have always and will continue to protect them from things that are dangerous.....isn't that what --good- parents are supposed to do???

No I wouldn't let my kids ride their bikes without helmets, nor would I let my little one use trampoline without net....they make them for a reason.

If you can look at a situation, that may worry you before hand, and think to yourself that'll you'll be happy with the consequences then fine let them do it. But I know if one of my kids broke a bone through using trampoline without a net, I would blame myself.

If you can take the blame and the guilt then go ahead.

PS do you also let your children ride in the car with no seatbelt and play in the middle of the road? hmm

pranma Fri 03-Jul-09 14:06:05

I broke my leg on a small trampoline-landed awkwardly and crack-tibial plateau fracture! I wouldnt allow any under 5s on one at all and under 10s only with supervision.

fatjac Fri 03-Jul-09 14:14:34

When we bought out trampoline we were told not to get a net as it gives the children a false sense of security.

According to our supplier trampolines are not really designed to be played on. They are excercise equipment and should only be used under supervision.

zanz1bar Fri 03-Jul-09 14:16:16

I hate trampolines.
When did it become a part of childhood for everyone to have a trampoline?

I refuse to get one, we have a garden with a tree they can climb, a football they can kick and I really think schools should offer team sports outside in ALL weathers not 1/2 of trampoline inside once a week.

I see them squeezed into the smallest spaces, right up to brick walls. They are leathal, ugly and boring after 15 mins( for a child on its own)

Hulababy Fri 03-Jul-09 14:33:02

7y DD has had her trampoline for a year and she is not bored of it! She's an only child so uses it alone most of the time. She loves having a go on it and spends ages making up different routines on it. She can even skip, with a rope, whilst bouncing n her knees and is currently trying to master hula hooping on it

belgo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:40:24

Trampolines with or without nets are dangerous, if the children are not being properly supervised. I agree with Zanz1bar: 'When did it become a part of childhood for everyone to have a trampoline?'

When I was a child you had to pay to use one at a fair or sports centre, and they were supervised.

I've been to friends' houses where there have been trampolines and the children not supervised.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 03-Jul-09 14:41:59

trampolines NEED nets and tbh should be sold with them and maybe as children get older to take off, but tbh why remove the net

you should only have one person on at a time

unless the friend is going to be outside by the trampoline all the time, i agree it should be banned for the party (but will be hard to stop children going on it - maybe can put garden chairs on it?)

having lots of 2/3/4yrs on it would be an accident waiting to happen sad

morningpaper Fri 03-Jul-09 14:43:30

I really don't see why trampolines need nets

If they are being used properly then the children are no where near the sides

I think nets encourage children to use trampolines dangerously!

belgo Fri 03-Jul-09 14:50:02

Agree with MP, nets give a false sense of security and may even cause more accidents. It's how responsibly they are used that is important.

Blondeshavemorefun Fri 03-Jul-09 14:52:15

when they are younger you can not trust 2/3yrs to keep to the one on at a time rule

and unless you arethere guarding/watching all the time, net less tramploines are dangerous

and it is not always possible to be in that place in the garden when you have 3 to look after

a child should be able to go and play in their garden unwatched for a few mins, and be safe

<blondes waits to be shouted at>

RumourOfAHurricane Fri 03-Jul-09 14:56:24

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now