Talk

Advanced search

To assume that, at some point, we are going to get swine flu and to be really quite scared about it

(70 Posts)
imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 22:14:09

I feel like i wish i had it already - the longer time goes on, the more anxious i am getting. I have health anxiety and this is starting to fry my head. My DD starts school in september, so she will be mixing with loads of new children - im fretting already.

SomeGuy Thu 02-Jul-09 22:15:38

it's just like having a cold really. WOuldn't worry.

<<booking holiday to Mexico, where there's a much, much lower chance of catching swine flu>>

panicpants Thu 02-Jul-09 22:18:04

I'm a bit worried too as we all have asthma in our family, and in particular ds and I are prone to chest infections...I'm guessing that counts as an underlying medical condition

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 22:18:08

lol, yeah, maybe i'll come with you - they have probably had it already if there were going to get it.

I don't do ill!!

But seriously, i am worrying about the "autumn infections being more severe" especially as this is the time that i will be forced into exposing DD to loads of other children.

moffat Thu 02-Jul-09 22:18:24

I'm worried too. Dh seems to think it will be worse to catch it in winter.

PacificDogwood Thu 02-Jul-09 22:21:10

YABU, well, maybe not unreasonable but ill informed.
Swine flu is no worse than any other seasonal flu, the only difference is that it is a new virus and has the potential to affect more people because less of us are likely to be partially immune to it.
Are you getting help to deal with your health anxiety? Have you ever tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (works by challenging negative/destructive thinking)?
Sorry, I do not mean to be presumptive, but is makes me angry how badly information about Swine Flu has been handled by the media/govournement/public health. It is a great shame that this is adding to your worries.
smile

Wonderstuff Thu 02-Jul-09 22:34:41

I always try not to worry about things before they happen. My mum does a lot of this pre-emptive worrying, it looks exhausting.

FairLadyRantALot Thu 02-Jul-09 22:43:39

hmm...tbh....I can't get myself worked up about swine flu, because, well...anything can happen to us at any time anyway,...so...best not worry about somehting that hasn't happened grin

but OP defintely get help with the anxiety

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 22:52:18

I woudn't be worrying about it if I wasn't nearly 36 weeks pregnant. It is no worse than normal flu by all accounts.

I am just worried about our new baby getting it or me getting it and going into early labour.

Tinker Thu 02-Jul-09 22:58:17

Oh, I'm a pre-emptive worrier too. Now, I wasn't overly bothered about swine flu but today I've a sore throat, am sneezing non-hayfevery sneezes and have a slight temp. How am I meant to know whether or not this is just a cold? But I'm more worried about my kids, especially my youngest who just will not ever take any medicine. She's 4 so also starting school in Sept

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 02-Jul-09 22:59:06

I'm a bit worried about it, just as much as I'd be worried about catching normal flu though tbh, except it seems I'm much more likely to catch swine flu than normal flu.
I'm single parent with disabled DD, both parents are excellent at help when I need but both have severe 'underlying conditions' so if it happened in our house I def couldn't use them to help, and I'd be buggered really!

Must think about it actually and plan just incase.

tiredemma Thu 02-Jul-09 23:00:09

ds2 has it currently- its no different at all to any other flu tbh.

However my best friend is currently unergoing IVF and she has been told that if she catches it, she will have to abandon this cycle of treatment.

Im concerned for her in this instance

mrsboogie Thu 02-Jul-09 23:17:43

I'm very worried about my 9 month old getting it - just as I would be about him getting normal flu - only there's more chance of his being exposed to this one because of how much it will spread. They say its v bad for young children. I'm not a worrier normally.

LeninGrad Thu 02-Jul-09 23:34:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Heathcliffscathy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:35:16

i think late preggo is no worries lenin.. it is early that you have to watch it. but iirc, even then flu isn't a problem other than discomfort

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:42:21

Flu is worst in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters says the NHS website. AFAIK it's because a high temperature can bring on a premature labour.

LeninGrad Thu 02-Jul-09 23:42:42

Heathcliffscathy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:43:40

ok but lenin isnt going to get it in the next two weeks. and by that point she will be glad of labour being brought on.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:49:08

I'm also 35 weeks pregnant (nearly 36). If you suspect you have swine flu then you should phone your GP and they will probably give you Relenza and then yes fluids and paracetamol to keep your temp down.

Heathcliffscathy Thu 02-Jul-09 23:50:17

sorry facetious last post (meant well). but i just can't bring myself to get really really scared and anxious about this.

LeninGrad Thu 02-Jul-09 23:52:04

LeninGrad Thu 02-Jul-09 23:56:54

Ozziegirly Fri 03-Jul-09 02:22:39

We're in the depths of winter here and loads of people have gone down with swine flu, but hardly anyone has died, and it really doesn't seem very serious at all.

In fact, I read that normal flu causes more deaths than swine flu is seeming to, although swine flu is more contagious - but this is probably because it's milder, so people aren't confined to their beds!

LeninGrad Fri 03-Jul-09 08:36:37

Ninkynork Fri 03-Jul-09 08:54:55

Flu is when you can't get up to catch a £20 note which is about to fall off the sill and out the window my Mum says.

DD was in hospital (East London) yesterday and there were a few cases in isolation rooms. DS was crawling all over the floor and touching everything in sight. I was practically showering DC with the anti-bac stuff but other than that, what can you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now