Talk

Advanced search

to wish tax credits would stop giving me so much money

(15 Posts)
dazzledbypoundsigns Thu 02-Jul-09 21:39:58

put in my yearly numbers last week and after only getting £12 a week last year they have upped my payments hmm all very well and good but i cant believe how much they have upped them by

payment of nearly £450 on tues (in two seperate ammounts for some reason but both went into same bank on same day) payment of £125 yest (one day after £450) and now i will carry on getting £65 a week.

our income did drop a bit last year but not ££££££££££.

i am now totally stressed incase they ask for it back.

maidenvoyage Thu 02-Jul-09 21:42:10

Phone them explain that you are a little confused as to why your payments are so high let them explain. Then enjoy it lol x

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Thu 02-Jul-09 21:42:36

put it in a bank account

if they ask for it back you'll have the interest (admittedly not huge), if not yu can have christmas catered for or whatever

Sounds as if you are due for an underpayment from last year,which does happen

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 02-Jul-09 21:43:12

The larger payments sound like money they've owed you after looking at your final figures for last year, it sounds like you were underpaid. If you were both underpaid last year and had a drop in income too it is conceivable that the new payments are correct.
(was tc officer)

If you're really unsure though you can call them up and ask them to check through your figures

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 02-Jul-09 21:44:37

Oh and maiden I hated having to figure out why someone's payments had changed! lol There is no easy way to do it on the system, no explanation etc. You literally have to go through everything and figure it out yourself.

Hate hate hated it!!!

Thank god I don't do that any more grin

dazzledbypoundsigns Thu 02-Jul-09 21:46:12

i have already called and they say that payments are correct.

our drop in income is due to me giving up my part time job and now we get more than we did when i was working hmm

not much of a incentive to look for more work

UndertheBoredwalk Thu 02-Jul-09 21:46:59

If it's been double checked I'd say it's right.
It is the case in some circs where you are better off not working as mad as it seems.

MissSunny Thu 02-Jul-09 21:48:37

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 02-Jul-09 21:48:41

Message withdrawn

maidenvoyage Thu 02-Jul-09 21:53:13

If i were to get working tax credit i would phone them ask them to clarify and then spend it simple as that but I apparently earn to much to get them even though im struggling lol so just enjoy. They have confirmed you cannot do anymore

whereeverIlaymyhat Thu 02-Jul-09 21:57:10

I've heard a few people say they get more in tax credits than if they worked which seems strange but ho hum.
I put it all in the bank, I've never had free money before Dh was made redundant so feel a bit strange about spending it.

chegirl Thu 02-Jul-09 22:40:18

I also feel very odd about tc. I am very greatful but feel uneasy. I cannot believe they just give you all this money.

My OH and I both work but short hours. OH has MS so cannot work long hours and I having caring responsiblities for him and one of our DCs (as well as the usual stuff). So our actual income is v.low. Its topped up by tc. Although its brilliant it also feels sort of unsafe, as if it could all stop any moment (like if the tories got in grin).

I think I have been traumatised for life due to being on benefits in the early 90s when my eldest kids were babies. Then you didnt work and got benefits. If you went back to work ^at all^ you got nothing. So you had to make sure any job you got covered everything your benefits did , rent, council tax, prescriptions, school dinners etc etc.

I think this system is so much better. It means you can do something, even if its limited. In the bad old days we would be exisiting on income support with no way out. At least this way we can contribute by paying our taxes and we both work in the care/social sector.

Still feels weird though. I always think there is some huge mistake and they will come knocking on the door asking for their money back.

wheresclaire Thu 02-Jul-09 22:47:03

Totally agree. We just got our free NHS card through the post. So made appointment at the docs today to get all hayfever meds! But what if next year they say I was over paid? Do I have to pay back all prescription costs too?

PeachyTheRiverParrettHarlot Fri 03-Jul-09 08:28:37

Can't see you would have to pay back prescriptions no. DH geting new glasses for first time in years on our health card that just arrived.

We categorically do not get more than if DH was still working; he was amde redundant and now works part time self employed. Even with WTC's at a highest rate due to disabilities we have taken a massive cut in income from the £20k he earned. Am not complaining- tis fair enough- we get enough from his earnings, my carers allowance and tax credits to cover the bills etc and that's where it is supposed to be

lou031205 Fri 03-Jul-09 08:38:46

You will never get more by not working. For a start, there are extra allowances for those that work over 30 hours. Then the 'withdrawl rate' - what they deduct - is only 39% of every £1.

In other words, if you earn an extra £10 per week in wages, you lose £3.90 in tax credits, £2 in tax and £1.10 in NI. So you gain £10 but lose £7. Overall, you are £3 better off.

Having said that, it is a great relief to us, with DD having SN, that we can afford through tax credits to have DH's hours cut to a 4 day week. We too qualify for the Medical Card, so we are getting our eyes tested soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now