Talk

Advanced search

Another Tesco's rant

(12 Posts)
victoriascrumptious Thu 02-Jul-09 19:06:34

Why is it that the majority of the fruit and veg in tescos have a 'display until' date of the same day you are in there or a best before date of the next day ?

It's a rip off.

HecatesTwopenceworth Thu 02-Jul-09 19:07:59

yup. Is your local greengrocer any good? mine has the best fruit & veg I have come across!

littlelamb Thu 02-Jul-09 19:08:24

Does that really get you wound up? Really? Go to the greengrocers instead, fresher and cheaper ime

Lulumama Thu 02-Jul-09 19:08:42

don;t buy it. it's not a rip off if you don't buy it

sift through the stuff for longer dated fruit and veg

also, most fruit and veg, except soft stuff will be ok for a good few days after the date

or go to a nice local greengrocer or farm shop

or lidl where often have half price fruit and veg or aldi where you can get 6 differnt types of fruit for 49 p a punnet/bag each

shinyshoes Thu 02-Jul-09 19:12:31

My greengrocers serves veg literally on it knees.

My cousin bought a punnet of strawberries a couple of weeks ago, they were all mouldy the next day despite storing them in the fridge, she took them back and he wouldn't refund or let her swap. In fact they told her 'tough' and shrugged his shoulders.

I won't by from there anymore.

In know it's off topice but that was my arguement for not buying from the greengrocers

Lulumama Thu 02-Jul-09 19:18:09

well, that;s a shite greengrocer, innit?

have a lovely one near me, poncetastic selection of tomatoes and DD got a free ice lolly. grin

victoriascrumptious Thu 02-Jul-09 19:18:56

SAdly I don't have a greengrocers anywhere near where i live

HellHathNoFury Thu 02-Jul-09 19:19:11

Actually I stopped buying at greengrocers because it was manky/on the verge of manky.
And they'll never swap/refund, it's tough.

Yes it's cheaper and (most likely) more local but I don't have the time to buy veg every day so am forced to get the supermarket stuff.

victoriascrumptious Thu 02-Jul-09 19:19:50

Yeah littlelamb it winds me up as there's huge potential for food wastage which isnt great for the environment or the pocket

victoriascrumptious Thu 02-Jul-09 19:20:46

Yeah Lulumama, it's Lidl from here on in, i'm sick of Tesco

CyradisTheSeer Thu 02-Jul-09 19:20:52

Message withdrawn

littlelamb Thu 02-Jul-09 19:22:27

But it's veg. It will go off. Unless you want to start pumping it full of nasties which is another thread entirely. fwiw, I think all strawberries have been manky this year, all the ones we've bought have needed eating immediately

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now