Talk

Advanced search

to have abandoned my shopping at Tesco in a huff?

(35 Posts)
DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Thu 02-Jul-09 15:39:28

I know, we are all hot and slightly grumpy at the moment but I was soooo cross when, after queuing for about 18 weeks at one of the only 4 checkouts an officious type Tesco employee informed me the checkout was closing and to join one of the other 3 exceptionally long and slow moving queues. I asked if it was some sort of joke and she said no, so I put my basket on the floor and walked out.

AIBU to refuse to reward such appalling service with my hard earned money?

MamaHobgoblin Thu 02-Jul-09 15:41:33

No, of course not! I'd have done the same, probably. If the check-out's closing they should tell people who start queuing rather than let them waste their time. I hope you stomped a bit, too!

MrsMattie Thu 02-Jul-09 15:44:18

I nearly did it a couple of weeks ago in Tesco, although for different reasons.

I was told I couldn't purchase more than 10 single-feed cartons of readymade formula (which I wanted to tale on hopliday with us )at a time because it was store policy to 'make sure they are available to all customers'. WTF? So you're too lazy to restock the shelves regularly, basically?

Asked to see the manager to complain and she was so rude and condescending.

I had £180 worth of shopping all bagged up and felt liek telling them to stick it, but had spent an hour in there and stocked up for our impending hols and just couldnt bear doing it all again elsehwere.

Have written a letter of complaint to them and am boycotting them until they respond with some soothign words and money-off vouchers.

YANBU.

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Thu 02-Jul-09 15:45:40

Good thinking! I'm going to complain too!

Gingerly Thu 02-Jul-09 15:46:11

Good for you
fab idea

ajandjjmum Thu 02-Jul-09 15:46:44

MrsMattie
When dc were small (a million years ago!) Tesco used to order the milk in for us - might be worth asking in future.
I too would have been furious!!

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Thu 02-Jul-09 15:48:02

why couldn't SHE open a checkout instead of being so annoying? there were about 20 empty ones!

Gingerly Thu 02-Jul-09 15:48:36

so instead they had to use staff time putting shopping away
you think they could haev thought ahead

crazylizzy Thu 02-Jul-09 15:53:51

YANBU at all, what so ever, in any possible way.

You are however being VU in the way you did it wink I would have emptied the basket contents onto the floor and surgically inserted the basket where the sun doesn't shine grin I admire you for your calmness.

MadameCastafiore Thu 02-Jul-09 15:55:37

This is why you should shop in Waitrose!

duchesse Thu 02-Jul-09 16:01:29

YANBU Tesco have the most shite customer skills ever. Dunno why people put up with it.

Having said that, the last time I went to our nearest one, all the staff I spoke to were lovely. I do think it was the time of day when the mums (you know, the ladies working the school hours) were on duty though.

abouteve Thu 02-Jul-09 16:08:07

YAPNBU, I've been told that if a customer abandons shopping and its fresh food, it cannot go back on the shelf so will be thrown away. If you have had it checked through the till they have to reset all the tills, very inconvenient.

The shop assistant needs her break so it's Tescos fault for not having enough people on.

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Thu 02-Jul-09 16:08:46

I LOVE my waitrose

we have quick check, I think it has spoilt me - just scan and pack as you go round, none of this bloody loading into trolley and unloading onto checkout and then reloading into trolley and then unloading into car grrrr!

sadly for me I was not near my beloved waitrose yesterday

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Thu 02-Jul-09 16:54:41

YANBU and it's not Tesco staff for not having the people to put on it is about using common sense. My old local Tesco if they checkout assistant was coming up to her break she would say something along the lines of "could you pop this on the end while your putting your shopping up please?" It was a this till is about to close sign, they knew it was coming up to finishing time but they served whoever was in the que but still managed to ask anyone else not to join, it's about customer service and using your brain.

Since I have moved I too have huffed out of there (not abandoning my shopping but have huffed) but my old local Tesco were fantastic apart from one single solitary member of staff I never came across an unpleasant one.

random Thu 02-Jul-09 16:59:37

My Dd works in tescos ...shes lovely smile

MummyDragon Thu 02-Jul-09 18:03:07

YANBU. Where did you go instead? Sainsbo's? (my fave).

southeastastra Thu 02-Jul-09 18:04:10

i did that in m & s the other week, plonked all my shopping in the frozen food and walked out in a huff

tinkerbelle200 Thu 02-Jul-09 18:16:10

Ive done this at tesco as well, they waIt till you are at the till to say its closing!YANBU

zeke Thu 02-Jul-09 18:37:45

Good for you!

victoriascrumptious Thu 02-Jul-09 19:02:33

YABU, you should have emptied the shopping all over the floor before storming out

icedgemsrock Thu 02-Jul-09 20:09:38

ooh well done ... but i'm surprised at tesco's their policy is supposed to be only one in front in the queue!
def write to complain

CyradisTheSeer Thu 02-Jul-09 20:36:26

Message withdrawn

DisturbinglySexuallyInactive Fri 03-Jul-09 11:16:34

Oh it wasn't the cashier I was cross with, it was Woman With Clipboard who told me to join another queue - why couldn't she have told me earlier? she was standing right next to me! obviously do not begrudge whoever is on the checkout their opportunity for a wee/drink/cigarette whatever - it's the people responsible for organising these things isn't it?

I am sort of over it now though the next nearest supermarket was ASDA and they were fully staffed and, I think, much cheaper!

SomeGuy Fri 03-Jul-09 11:17:45

Tesco is evil. Their CS is absolutely horrid.

lottiejenkins Fri 03-Jul-09 11:27:05

Waitrose have just taken over our local Somerfield and reduced the nine checkouts to four and put a cafe in!! hmm Progress??? I dont think so!!!!angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now