Talk

Advanced search

to not want to go out on the p1ss and leave my 11 week DD at home

(28 Posts)
Roopoo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:03:53

Am I being unreasonable in not wanting to go out and get drunk on Saturday night for my birthday leaving my DH and 11 week DD at home.

Bearing in mind Im still the size of a small elephant after giving birth have no appropriate clothes. Plus she is still sleeping in our room and have only recently got her sleeping through and don't want to disturb her when I come in. And I don't like the thought of leaving her when she is so little.

My friends (who are childless) and sister have told me to stop being so boring?? am I turning into a boring old woman!! Christ is it me or are they being unreasonable??

belgo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:06:07

YANBU.

I hate this attitude that you have to drink to have a good time, that you have to leave your baby with someone else to enjoy yourself, and if you don't conform to that attitude you are labeled as boring.

Roopoo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:07:51

Thank You!!! Im glad someone sees my point!!! x

BlackLetterDay Thu 02-Jul-09 14:08:28

No YANBU, your choice, lots of people don't feel ready to leave the baby until much later. I however cannot wait to have a good drink blush grin so horses for courses.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 14:09:43

Well I went out for a hen do when DS was 10 weeks, but it was a very close friend and disruption to DS was zero really. It was all about me missing him too much rather than anything else!

Having said that YANBU at all, I wouldn't at all have done that just for my birthday - close friends' hen nights are a one-off - and you are not being a boring old woman for not wanting to leave your tiny baby so you can go out to get drunk.

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Jul-09 14:10:20

You would also NBU if you did want to go. But not wanting to go is fine.

Roopoo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:11:28

BLD - Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed a glass of wine of an evening with hubby at home. Just can't think of anything worse than being stuck in a sweaty bar rammed full of people and missing my DD xx

melmog Thu 02-Jul-09 14:11:39

yanbu.

It's up to you when you go out for the first time. I'd stay in with a couple of bottles of wine and dh if I were you.

Poledra Thu 02-Jul-09 14:11:50

YANBU - do what you want and are comfortable with. FWIW, I haven't been out to get drunk since DD1 was born - 5.5 years ago!

belgo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:12:58

I took dd1 to a hen night when she was 6 weeks oldgrin and to the wedding when she was 8 weeks. Needless to say they were heavy drinking nights out.

Hope you have a lovely birthday doing what you want to enjoy.

sarah293 Thu 02-Jul-09 14:13:15

Message withdrawn

belgo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:14:15

I mean they weren't heavy drinking nights out

TrillianAstrahasaJOB Thu 02-Jul-09 14:17:09

It's your birthday therefore you get to decide what is fun and what is boring. If they want to go out they don't need to use you as an excuse.

MrsMattie Thu 02-Jul-09 14:17:11

YANBU. It's totally up to YOU and how you feel.

I was definitely ready by then with both babies for a good old booze up, but each to their own. You aren't boring to go with your instincts.

Poledra Thu 02-Jul-09 14:18:49

Actually, I took DD3 to a hen night in March this year - she was 7 months. I was driving though, so not drinking.

OrmIrian Thu 02-Jul-09 14:21:13

Of course you aren't if that isn't what you want to do. IIRC I was the same although I find it hard to beleive now. And your mates should be more understanding.

Roopoo Thu 02-Jul-09 14:40:50

Thanks everyone. Never thought I would be turning my nose up at a night out. Don't think it helps that Im still wearing maternity jeans and the only shoes that fit are flip flops ha ha ha

JemL Thu 02-Jul-09 14:43:19

YANBU If you aren't ready. It took much longer than 11 weeks before I went out for the evening. I twitched the whole time and kept losing the thread of conversations becuase I was distracted.

Aside from the whole just had a baby thing, I can't stand it when people who don't want to go out on the lash are automatically boring!

Boys2mam Fri 03-Jul-09 20:54:56

Just picked this thread up now....

...YANBU - my DS is 10 months old and I have only been out a handful of times since he was born, mostly for a few drinks then home to enjoy the peace til 6am and our lovely wake-up call grin

P.s., 11 wks and sleeping though....make the most of that x

Firawla Fri 03-Jul-09 21:17:18

no yanbu at all!!!

icedgemsrock Fri 03-Jul-09 21:34:24

I still haven't been out without my ds and he's 1!! and i'm very happy not to go out.

wilkos Fri 03-Jul-09 21:39:16

you arent being boring, they are.

big birthday piss up on a saturday night - how original hmm

and you won't be the one with the hangover in the morning!

GabriellesMummy Fri 03-Jul-09 21:56:17

Ive just joined mumsnet and have been reading this thread and am feeling pretty similar. My dd is just over 7 weeks and my dp's friend and girlfriend have asked us out for a night out at beginning of August - dd will be about 12 weeks old. My mum has offered to take her overnight to let us go out for the night - I've not really decided what to do yet, I'll miss her loads and loads if we do go out sad but I worry that if I dont let our families take turns of watching her (not always overnight) that, when she gets a bit bigger, she might not be able to go to anyone else - just me and her daddy.

not sure what everyone else thinks?!

thanks

icedgemsrock Fri 03-Jul-09 22:00:39

I didn't leave ds with anyone till he was 11 months old.
I then left him in a creche, with people he'd never met before, whilst I did a course and he didn't cry once - not even a little bit!!
so gabrielle I wouldn't worry about that just do what you want to do.

sweetnitanitro Fri 03-Jul-09 22:06:59

YANBU. My DD is 9 months and I still haven't felt like a proper night out. If you don't want to go then don't, you are certainly not boring hmm and it's a bit childish of them to suggest you are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now