Talk

Advanced search

To find people who ignore you on MSN, but then expect you to reply right away when THEY contact you rude??

(7 Posts)
electra Thu 02-Jul-09 09:32:02

Perhaps this sounds a little childish, but it does annoy me. Surely it's rude to ignore a message from someone when it says you're actually online - ditto people who don't text back (though I'm guilty of texting back late sometimes if stuff was going on when I received the message).

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 09:48:38

but are these REAL people? or just online "friends".

flier Thu 02-Jul-09 09:51:04

i think sometimes it says people are online when they're not - my mums status is quite often online and she's just not properly shut down her laptop.

TrinityRhino Thu 02-Jul-09 09:55:30

but its not the same as when you are speaking to someone face to face and they ignore you

if someone msns me and I'm showing online I could be just popping to the loo, sorting kids etc

I had someone who kept saying you dont answer me when your online
and I told them I will answer you if I'm there

I'm not going to show offline every time I get up to do something when I know I'm coming back in a bit

the message stays there and can be seen as soon as you come back to the pooter

I do try and answer texts asap as they are usually questions and always from actual friends

I used to 'appear offline' all the time and people who were close friends knew this and spoke to me anyway incase I was there but no hassle if I wasn't iyswim

less expectation that way

flier Thu 02-Jul-09 09:57:22

I usually show myself an invisible anyway - I don't like people knowing how long I am online for lol (all day)

TrillianAstrahasaJOB Thu 02-Jul-09 10:00:06

If they expect you to treat them differently to how they treat you, then that's rude.

However, I think that MSN (or in my case face book chat) is not like real life, and it's perfectly fine to disappear in the middle of a conversation because you have some RL thing to attend to. I wil mostly keep typing at you until I run out of things to say, and then find something else to do. I do try to explain this to people, that I won't get offended if they disappear, and they shouldn't be offended if I disappear. On the phone or in RL you can tell if a child is screaming or a pot is boiling over (and phones are more portable than computers).

electra Thu 02-Jul-09 17:44:49

Ok, perhaps I'm overreacting. It's people I know in RL, not online friends iyswim...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now