Talk

Advanced search

to be shocked and disgusted with Nottingham Police

(59 Posts)
wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 09:07:34

who left two police dogs in a parked car to die in the heat -the heat.

This has made me boiling with rage!!!

ReneRusso Thu 02-Jul-09 09:10:07

your link doesn't work can you try again

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 09:11:16

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/8129826.stm

thirtysomething Thu 02-Jul-09 09:11:21

I really cannot get my head round this. Words fail me. i hope those responsible pay for this. Why do people think they can treat animals in this way?

ReneRusso Thu 02-Jul-09 09:13:27

shock you would think police dog handlers of all people would know better

crokky Thu 02-Jul-09 09:14:12

This is extremely sad, but surely it was a tragic accident. As for those responsible "paying" for this - the dogs cannot be brought back to life. I should think it would be better if they attended an animal safety course.

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 09:14:15

The officers involved should be prosecuted and sacked immediately. Its a disgrace.

Worzsel Thu 02-Jul-09 09:15:55

Thats awful

edam Thu 02-Jul-09 09:21:05

heard this on the news and was horrified. For heaven's sake, you'd expect a police officer to know much better, let alone a dog handler. angry

edam Thu 02-Jul-09 09:24:30

and crocky, there's no accident about it. You don't have to be particularly intelligent to know that dogs left in cars on hot days die. A police officer, of all people, will know this. It is, at the best, extreme negligence.

Those poor animals will have suffered and died a horrible death that was completely unnecessary. Leaving them in the car to bake to death was cruel - 'irresponsible' doesn't begin to cover it.

posiedullardparker Thu 02-Jul-09 09:25:24

I heard this on the news this morning, whilst dealing with my dcs, and thought they said two Police mengrin

Disenchanted3 Thu 02-Jul-09 09:27:57

IMO an accident is something UNAVOIDABLE that happens within the course of a few seconds and cannot be prevented.

Those dogs must have been LEFT in that cars for a considerable length of time to have died there.

Neglegence, not accident.

wiggletastic Thu 02-Jul-09 09:28:21

Its not an accident Crokky, they are trained dog handlers fgs. This is total negligence and should be dealt with as such. If you left two dogs to die in a car then you would be prosecuted. It is not only irresponsible and extremely cruel, it is also illegal.

edam Thu 02-Jul-09 09:29:37

I hope the officers involved are prosecuted - a member of the public would be.

thighsmadeofcheddar Thu 02-Jul-09 09:31:34

Those poor dogs, those responsible definitely need to be prosecuted.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 09:33:07

Those officers should be sacked at the very least angry. I cannot believe you see this as an accident croky. I agree its pretty fucking tragic though.

imaynotbeperfectbutimokmummy Thu 02-Jul-09 09:34:31

actually croky, just re read your post - what??? do you think that dog handlers are just given their dogs and left to get on with it?? LMAO!! animal safety course?? <<chokes>>

pinkmagic1 Thu 02-Jul-09 09:34:59

Disgusting, a police dog handler of all people should know better. The poor creatures must have been trapped in there for a considerable length of time to die.

Nekabu Thu 02-Jul-09 09:35:05

The report I read had a vet saying it would have happened within 30 minutes. Police dog handlers work very, very closely with their dogs and have a good bond with them. I expect they are as disgusted with themselves as we are and that they are fully aware they'll be having the book thrown at them for this as they are expected to know and behave better than members of the public.

Poor dogs ...

cheesesarnie Thu 02-Jul-09 09:39:54

how awful.it is neglect and the police officers involves should be treated the same as anyone else who commits this crime.and i agree they should lose their jobs if working with animals is what they do.

edam Thu 02-Jul-09 09:51:48

I once went to an historic house on blistering hot day. In the car park, there was a vehicle with a dog inside - owners had just left the poor animal. Car was in full sun. But they'd left the window open 5cm so they clearly thought that was OK, stupid, stupid people.

We went in and asked the receptionist to call the owners out (it was a very small house, not a stately home). Owners scowled at us and were clearly pissed off at being made to go out and look after their dog. Irresponsible fuckers. If we hadn't complained, that poor dog would have died.

Wish in retrospect we'd taken the reg. number and called the RSPCA as well. I would if it ever happened again. People like that shouldn't have dogs - what the hell were they doing, taking the dog along to a place where dogs weren't allowed?

SparklyGothKat Thu 02-Jul-09 10:18:57

I parked my car up the other day to collect my kids from school, I was gone 10 mins, when I return my temperature display was reading 37degrees!!!! I was shocked how quickly the temp. raised in my car, and can see how babies and dogs can die in car very quickly

GuessWhatIAmANameChanger Thu 02-Jul-09 10:29:00

Sorry but accident my XXXX! Police dog handlers would have known the consequences of leaving the dogs like this, they would have known how quickly it would happen, they would have learnt this in their basic training. There is no excuse for this and IMO it is an unforgivable lack of care from someone whos job it is to look after the animals.

Imagine how much uproar there would be if it had been a vet or an RSPCA officer, this is no different, they are paid extra to look after these dogs, they are trained how. No excuse, no accident, but I bet it gets swept under the carpet.

IMO anyone who allows this to happen should be banned from keeping dogs at the very least and someone who cannot even claim ignorance like some rather stupid members of the public should also be fined or imprisoned. These dog handlers should loose their status as handlers - although I am not sure that calling for them to be sacked from the police force altogether are quite right...?

crazylizzy Thu 02-Jul-09 10:30:59

YANBU, it's disgusting and those responsible should be made to deal with the consequences of their reckless behavior. I very much doubt they will though. Probably suspended for a short period of time with full pay then return to work with a slap on the wrist hmm

Pyrocanthus Thu 02-Jul-09 10:56:02

It looks like an epidemic: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8126382.stm.

I wonder how often it happens without anyone hearing about it - the owner finds the dog dead in the car and quietly buries it.

I hope no babies go the same way this summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now