Talk

Advanced search

to think that the tango adverts are asking for trouble?

(16 Posts)
GodzillasBumcheek Wed 01-Jul-09 22:29:28

I saw an advert for Tango on a bus shelter today which said it'll turn your hair ginger (yes those ones too).

Ok haha if you've got brown, black, blonde, blue, whatever hair - but isn't it likely to cause problems for ginger haired people?

I can just hear the taunts now, for any teens in particular.

I personally think they should recall the lot...

opinions?

CharlieandLolasMum Wed 01-Jul-09 22:31:17

Agree why is it ok to take the piss out of someone for being ginger but not for being black, or muslim, or gay, etc etc

GodzillasBumcheek Wed 01-Jul-09 22:33:38

CALM...that is exactly what i was getting at!

Did you realise your nickname abbreviates to such a peaceful word btw?

GodzillasBumcheek Thu 02-Jul-09 11:49:43

OMG i must NBU or surely somebody would have argued the toss...

bookbird Mon 06-Jul-09 14:39:53

Definitley NBU - I saw this add the other day and was outraged. A complaint will be winging its way to the ASA this week. I suggest others do the same.

shootfromthehip Mon 06-Jul-09 14:43:28

As the mother of a ginger baby YANBU grin

KingRolo Mon 06-Jul-09 14:52:25

Tango have a reputation as an 'edgy' brand to maintain so are probably hoping the ads will get banned.

Other taglines are

'Too much Tango makes your guffs smell of oranges' and 'Too much Tango made me shave my nan'.

JackBauer Mon 06-Jul-09 14:55:19

YADNBU. Wankers. You'd think they'd learn after all the slapping from the old tango ads.

They are also in trouble as the 'Tango With Added Tango' name spells an intersting word reading down.
The advertisers are blatantly a room full of childish, single men who think fart jokes, casual discrimination and bullying are hilarious.
Twats indeed.

KingRolo Mon 06-Jul-09 15:41:19

The full range of Tango ads www.tango.co.uk/tangowithaddedtango/posters.aspx here.

Too much tango causes casual sexism apparently.

Still, at least we'll be able to identify the nobheads - they'll be the ones drinking Tango.

shazzg Thu 09-Jul-09 11:11:11

i wonder why they dont have one that says ' leads to casual racism/homophobia???'

coz theyd be bloody lynched.
Complain to ASA and Tango.

JesuslovesCatholicSchools Thu 09-Jul-09 11:14:14

i am complaining to the rspcn
royal society for the protection of cruelty to nans

shazzg Thu 09-Jul-09 11:38:02

I just phoned and complained about the 'sexism' add and asked why not a racism ad?I had a right rant - the customer care bloke was very supportive took down my argument word for word and will be getting me a written response asap.
Phoen Britvic customer care 0800 0321767 and have a go if you feel strongly.

squirrel42 Thu 09-Jul-09 13:28:32

There's one about drinking Tango made me suck a bull's udder as well, isn't there? Strangely that didn't make me want to drink Tango at all...

penona Thu 09-Jul-09 14:03:39

I just saw the 'makes your guffs smell...' at the bus stop today and was a bit shock at it, seemed very juvenile. And also possibly a lie? Could you complain about misleading advertising if you drank some and it didn't smell of oranges?

BTW I am ginger and have not seen that advert, would be genuinely cross if I had, makes me so mad apparently it's still OK to laugh at my ginger hair. Like I can help it (or my kids who have it too....).

How do you complain to ASA? Do I have to have seen the ad other than on the weblink above?

FimbleHobbs Thu 09-Jul-09 14:13:32

I saw the guffs one and thought it was utterly juvenile, but didn't realise there was a ginger one. That is utterly pathetic.

Not sure whether to complain though as they probably want to get banned though don't they, its all publicity? Don't want to help them.

shazzg Thu 09-Jul-09 15:00:30

penona
look on tnternet for asa website if you want more immediate complaint/action phone britvic careline as above - they own tango.
i dont know what theyll say about guffs.etc
keep us posted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now