Talk

Advanced search

To vomit, well gage, in front of my class of 7/8 year olds??

(10 Posts)
tryingtobemarypoppins Wed 01-Jul-09 21:09:55

I am only 7 weeks pregnant and so my class don't know I'm pregnant. I am SOOOOOO sick at the moment. It's all day long but its mainly just gaging as I can't eat anything either! (sorry!!!)

Today, during my Maths input, I just ran to the sink in the classroom. What else can I do!!! The toilets are a 5 minute walk away and the children wouldn't be taught a thing if I kept leaving the room. It is blush but what can a girl do???

whomovedmychocolate Wed 01-Jul-09 21:12:06

Tell them you have swine flu - then they get a week off wink

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 01-Jul-09 21:12:52

I'm wondering if you might be best to have some time off if you are feeling so awful. I had hyperemesis by week 6 and I feel quite strongly that had I given in and rested, rather than struggle on for another few days. I might have not been so bad.

tryingtobemarypoppins Wed 01-Jul-09 21:34:21

Thanks ladies, I am only Part Time as I have a toddler so only 9 days to go. I bet they have all told there parents!
What is hyperemesis defined as?

onepieceofcremeegg Wed 01-Jul-09 21:58:22

This is only my made-up definition, so more literal than perhaps technical: Emesis means vomiting and hyper means high/a lot of. (e.g. hypertension meaning high blood pressure, hyperemesis meaning excessive/frequent vomiting)

Hope you don't have that though and that you soon feel better.

MummyDragon Thu 02-Jul-09 13:54:17

If you get a sick note from your GP citing morning sickness, the sick note will read "hyperemesis gravidum." That's the terminology they (have to?) use. I think you'd be better off at home than gagging all day in front of your class - hope you feel better soon! Ritz crackers and ice cubes were quite useful in my first pregnancy smile

clumsymum Thu 02-Jul-09 13:58:49

Blimey, If you had my ds in the class, he'd be throwing up beside you.

I don't think it's particularly good to be doing this in front of 7 - 8 year olds, TBH I wouldn't want it happening in front of me on a regular basis [yuk].

Go home.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 02-Jul-09 14:05:16

You need to be at home

audreyraines Thu 02-Jul-09 14:25:52

poor you. it's really hard. i'm not sure whether to advise to try and get time off or to keep going. i've been sick for nearly 7 months, so i couldn't exactly go on bed rest for 7 months. did have to teach a classroom though, must be tough.

TigerFeet Thu 02-Jul-09 14:52:40

The difference between hyperemesis and morning sickness is the degree of sickness and its effect on you, if you constantly feel sick, can't keep anything down and you're dehydrating, you have hyperemesis. It's truly horrible and trying to work through it is probably not wise. It's not fair on you and not fair on your class either.

Could you get yourself signed off for a week (you can self cert for a week if that's easier) and see if it helps?

I've had a week off, then a block of about a month, then a further two weeks during the last six months. I simply couldn't do anything, I was completely drained of energy even though I was taking antiemetics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now