Talk

Advanced search

to think that my daughter prob saved a life today?

(24 Posts)
petitmaman Wed 01-Jul-09 18:53:44

went swimming at my mums after school. as usual when it is hot there were other children there. all mums were standing around watching (or so we thought) but then my DD(7) appeared with a little boy (3) who hadn't been in the water but he was soaking wet. DD and boy told me that she had just pulled him out from bottom of pool after he had fallen in. shock
None of the mums saw him somehow. but dd didand didn't shout but just acted. i am soo horrified that:
a) we thought we were watching but somehow didn't see this
b) the thought of what might have happened
but very proud of dd. didn't know she could swim that well tbh.

HumphreyCobbler Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:25

I would be so so proud too.

It is so scary how you can miss things.

islandofsodor Wed 01-Jul-09 18:57:25

Well done to your quick thinking dd!!!!

CowWatcher Wed 01-Jul-09 18:57:39

Buy her an ice lolly for being so clever! Seriously well done her. Lots of adults together looking after loots of children always worries me. Everyone thinks someone else is looking.

PandaG Wed 01-Jul-09 19:00:24

wow - you are right to be proud of her.

How fantastic she knew what to do!

herbietea Wed 01-Jul-09 19:01:12

Message withdrawn

petitmaman Wed 01-Jul-09 19:04:08

herbietea shock why? what did she want him to do?
apparently i was pulled out of pool in france by stranger. again my parents were right there but chatting. i thought i had armbands on and jumped straight in. that's why my dds have never worn armbands.

herbietea Wed 01-Jul-09 19:12:25

Message withdrawn

PresidentTaylor Wed 01-Jul-09 19:13:26

Well done your DD!

CowWatcher - agree. I worry more about the DCs at large family gatherings then I do when alone with them. Constantly checking where they are and saying to people 'so you are in chanrge of X ok?' if they are playing with them, rather than assuming that they are being entertained by some aunt or cousin.

sweetfall Wed 01-Jul-09 19:15:28

oh I bet you're popular President. Did nobody tell you that at 'familly dos' the only people in charge of DC are their parents. Everyone else is just there to coo and move on grin

petitmaman Wed 01-Jul-09 19:25:39

That's the thing. we are usually v careful. was watching but also in the knowledge that dd1 can swim quite well (not likely just to slip into water) and dd2 was in my arms. watch her like a hawk (she is 2). mum who's boy it was had 3 other children with her and was talking to one of the other ones, she is quite relaxed any way. didn't even come over when she had seen what had happened and her ds was crying. hmm.
these things just happen so quickly. but lesson learnt .

mumeeee Wed 01-Jul-09 23:12:38

WELL done to your DD. That was very quick thinking for a 7 year old.

SparklyGothKat Wed 01-Jul-09 23:47:40

well done to your DD smile

BitOfFun Wed 01-Jul-09 23:50:15

< applauds >

dizzymare Wed 01-Jul-09 23:53:49

Fantastic quick thinking on her part, and you have every right to be as proud as punch smile

thumbwitch Wed 01-Jul-09 23:55:51

hurrah for your DD's quick thinking and hmm at the mum not even checking her DS afterwards, even though he was crying.

Do people forget that little children can drown an awful lot quicker than adults? We were in Australia last October, at a friend of MIL's house and her granddaughter was in the pool in one of those floating-sit-in things that are supposed to be safe. Anyway, she managed to tip it forwards and capsize it - they didn't bat an eyelid, I was the one who swam over to her and righted the thing because she clearly couldn't. Perhaps I was being over-zealous? I know DH doesn't think so and he was shock at their lack of concern as well. We will not be getting one of those floaty things for DS, that's for sure.

sunnydelight Thu 02-Jul-09 05:16:01

Well done your DD! I couldn't believe the number of small children who drowned here (Australia) last Summer in back yard pools. You literally cannot take your eyes of kids around/in the pool for a second.

anniemac Thu 02-Jul-09 13:47:54

Message withdrawn

minouminou Thu 02-Jul-09 17:06:35

Good for her, and good for you for raising such a sensible and confident girl.

ilovesprouts Thu 02-Jul-09 17:10:31

well done to your dd buy her a special pressie

CherryChoc Thu 02-Jul-09 17:16:07

Yes, it can be almost more dangerous in a strange way when there are more adults than children around because nobody knows who's in charge of them at any one time and it can be quite easy to think "Oh someone else is probably watching them" .

PresidentTaylor Thu 02-Jul-09 18:46:36

Sweetfall - I do it really when someone has taken one of them off to play. I just like to establish then that they are responsible and to hand back to me when finished! Prefer it in a way when DH or me in charge. Have 3 aged 5 and under and no other small children in the family, so someone always dragging them off to play when we are all together (that's not often though).

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 02-Jul-09 19:37:47

Post this somewhere else.

AIBU doesn't really suit such a thread.

Fabulous DD you have there. grin

Absolutelyfarkingfedup Thu 02-Jul-09 19:46:32

She is a hero. I would be bursting with pride if she was my dd. Well done! Why not read out some of the comments on this thread to her in the morning smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now