Talk

Advanced search

...to be annoyed that one parent hogged the classroom tour?

(13 Posts)
Flyonthewindscreen Wed 01-Jul-09 18:51:20

My DCs school has recently done a lot of work on redoing the classroom and outdoor space for years 1 and 2 to make them fit in with the new learning through play foundation stage and invited parents in to have a tour in small groups this morning.

So I arrived, there were a group of about 10 parents, one of the teachers gave a talk, then showed us round and said we were welcome to wander round and ask her if we had any questions.

One of the mothers (who I don't know well but do know is a part time teacher herself) immediately cornered the teacher and started asking her long involved questions about planning, structure of the day, literacy, etc, etc and was doing it in a very flattering kind of way so the teacher was lapping it up. Fair enough, but by the time the session was supposed to end they were still deep in conversation and no one else had got a look in.

The other parents gave up and left and me and one other mother hung around like lemons for a bit trying to get a word in. Eventually interupted the love-in long enough to say "thanks for showing us around and goodbye" and left also, keen teacher-mum and teacher still going strong...

AIBU to be slightly annoyed? - go easy on me, this is my first AIBU smile

jooseyfruit Wed 01-Jul-09 18:53:22

Yanbu.
There's always one.
Twunts.

Fruitysunshine Wed 01-Jul-09 18:53:58

No you are not being unreasonable. It was both the teacher and the other parent who were being very rude.

zeke Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:20

Jooseyfruit said it! Silly teacher for letting her take over like that, too!

Tidey Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:23

YANBU. If she wanted a private meeting she should have arranged one instead of taking up all of the time of the group.

There's a parent at DS's school who does this a lot, in the mornings there are usually quite a few parents and children waiting to speak to his teacher about verious different things and she completely monopolises the teacher's time, can see other people are waiting and doesn't give a damn. Pisses me right off.

pagwatch Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:36

You are only unreasonable in that you didn't see that coming. There is always one

3littlefrogs Wed 01-Jul-09 18:55:46

No - YANBU.

The sheer rudeness and self obsessedness (is that a word?) of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Dd is in year 6 and often helps with open days, school tours etc. She frequently comes home and tells me how rude some of the visiting parents are.

However, what these people don't realise is that the yr 6 children feed back to the HT and their class teacher in great detail. grin

katiestar Wed 01-Jul-09 18:56:34

When its parents evening make sure you sign up for a slot which is before this parent

3littlefrogs Wed 01-Jul-09 18:57:14

Actually - the teacher should have been able to deflect the woman and not allow her to monopolise the tour.

Hassled Wed 01-Jul-09 18:58:35

You needed my DH there on your side. He does tutting, huffing and eye-rolling spectacularly well, and has rudely interrupted in a very similar scene, saying something appalling like "We have limited time, and I think you can probably find an opportunity to discuss this later". Teachers hate him. This is why I have to be a Parent Governor.

cookielove Wed 01-Jul-09 18:59:07

i can see how rude the parent was being, however, i sometimes feel that when you get trapped talking to a parent, it is sometimes impossible to stop the conversation, i have tried many a time to bring it to end, seeing parents behind trying to get a word in and being unable to help, sometimes it isn't the teachers fault.

piscesmoon Wed 01-Jul-09 19:09:40

YANBU-I would pop in explain to the Head that one parent monopolised the teacher and the rest missed out.

more Wed 01-Jul-09 19:09:52

I work with somebody like that. I have started just plainly ignoring it when she speaks (which is quite hard as she not only suffers from verbal diarhea, but also has quite a high squeeky voice), and talking over her if I have something that I need to ask or say. She hates it, but hey ho.

There is probably fault on everyone's part.
The teacher should have been more assertive.
The talkatiev mother should have taken a bit of a reality check and realised that this was not a private tour.
You and the otherparents should also have been more assertive and just butted in pushing the other mother to the side.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now