Talk

Advanced search

to be a bit disappointed in my children's spoilt attitude?

(62 Posts)
Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:14:52

I could cry, honestly sad

DS1 and I have been ill this week, he was better today so we went to their sports day - I haven't been feeling 100% tbh but went along anyway and then went to work. I saw dh briefly at lunchtime and suggested that we surprise the kids by taking them to Giraffe (it's one of their favourite places) for dinner, to celebrate the taking part in the sports day

so I w as looking forw ard to seeing them after school and thought they would be all pleased and excited and it would lift all our spirits a bit

when I told them, they were both silent for a minute,and then started going "Hmmmmm, awww, I wish we could go to Pizza Hut instead" at which point I flipped a bit (not shouting,just cross) and said they were acting like spoilt brats and maybe we should have fewer treats if they don't appreciate them blush

I got them home and sent them to take their uniforms off, and immediately they started "he's copying me " "he's XXXX " " he's XXXX"

I want to send them both to bed frankly, I know it's unfair but I feel really down sad

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:19:36

they aren't tired or lethargic by the way, ds1 is as fit as a fiddle now so it's not that they don't want to go out

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 16:19:43

How old is he? When my play up like that i explode and say how would you like a mum like Aunty X (strict (no chocolate etc.) & screechy) or one who never does anything blah blah. Not very nice - i think and am hoping as they get older they do appreciate what you do for them more and what they do have.

The hot weather isn't helping anyones mood either esp mums little ones.

smugmumofboys Wed 01-Jul-09 16:20:23

I know so exactly how you feel. My two are frequently whiney and spoilt. It's depressing isn't it?

DH and I have talked about a 'no treats' policy for a while just to make them more appreciative.

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 16:20:34

Sorry - not a very helpful post really. But i do it too - esp when you've really thought of something nice.

BitOfFun Wed 01-Jul-09 16:20:49

They are probably just tired and grumpy like you, love- especially if they've been sick and running round all day in this heat. I'm sure they're lovely most of the time!

nametaken Wed 01-Jul-09 16:23:12

It's their treat, why can't they go to Pizza Hut if that's what they want. Giraffe is where you wanted to go.

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:24:24

ohjoy,thespacebarha spacked upagain

nametaken Wed 01-Jul-09 16:24:58

Go on, make friends with them and take em to pizza hut. Everyone is getting tired, moody, crotchety and irritable in this damm heat. You've both been ill and probably aren't sleeping well in this heat.

Go on, go.

lisad123 Wed 01-Jul-09 16:25:04

drives me mad when my dd1 is like that too. She moaned because i brought her an apple after school and not sweets as her friends all get them, doesnt matter that i said ice creams when we get home! I know shes 6years old but which she would be grateful for treats instead of moaning!!
this weather does not help one bit.

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:25:13

nametaken I couldn't giveafickwherewego,I'llbeeatingboringsaladregardless

itwastheirreactionthatupsetme

nametaken Wed 01-Jul-09 16:27:11

I'm just amused at your irritability and the fact that your spacebars broken grin

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:28:45

me too really,itisgrotesquelyamusing

it's notjus t that it's offens ive to ME though, it' s justthat whenthey behave likethisitmakesmefeelasthoughIamdoingashitjobofbringingthemupsad

Greensleeves Wed 01-Jul-09 16:30:52

sowouldyourkidsreactlikethat, ifyousurprisedthem with adinneroutona schoolnight? Hone stly? there wasn't a flicker of plea sure,ju st immediate " nyaaah, we wantXXXinstead"

if otherpeople' skid sarelikethistoothat would makemefeelabitbetter

FairLadyRantALot Wed 01-Jul-09 16:31:59

sorry, very unhelpful...but made me giggle your giveafick...because ficken is fucking in german grin

however, on a serious note...I can totally understand where you are coming from, but can also see what nametaken is saying...it's difficult when Kids change their minds about favourite place to eat...so...next time you plan a treat, maybe just ask them where they want to go...or give a few choices...

but you sound a more patient woman than me

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 16:32:10

You are not shit at all - we never appreciated our parents or what we had until we got older.

(although that last 'word' of your last post would make a fab MN name)

PortBlacksandResident Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:15

I meant this one
"likethisitmakesmefeelasthoughIamdoingashitjobofbringingthemup"

Can i borrow it sometime?

nametaken Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:23

Yes, sometimes kids are ungrateful little buggers, including mine.

Get over it - that's kids for you.

Now hurry up and get down the pizza hut

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:49

ohh it's so hot that I am finding my two the most annoying creatures in the world. Not helped that one of them is poorly.

I keep dreaming of running out of the house and leaving them to fend for themselves for the rest of the day.

In fact I have broken my no mn in the day rule because I need to escape the constant whinging arhhhhhhhh

take them to pizza hut, leave them and go to giraffe on your own . heaven.

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:49

ohh it's so hot that I am finding my two the most annoying creatures in the world. Not helped that one of them is poorly.

I keep dreaming of running out of the house and leaving them to fend for themselves for the rest of the day.

In fact I have broken my no mn in the day rule because I need to escape the constant whinging arhhhhhhhh

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:50

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:33:51

TotalChaos Wed 01-Jul-09 16:34:35

I think it's normal, and it's quite a healthy sign - that they feel safe to behave like spoilt brats, rather than having gratitude beaten into them. My DS would react like this sometimes.

Noonki Wed 01-Jul-09 16:35:33

god even my computer is trying to wind me up hmm

pooka Wed 01-Jul-09 16:38:13

This is the one thing most likely to make me see red with dd. I cannot cannot abide it when we do something "special" , like cinema, eating out, whatever, and she complains that I don't bend to her absolute wishes.

I remember once that we had been to Pizza Express and were making our way to the cinema, and passed some market stalls. She complained when I didn't buy her a tatty necklace, saying "It's not fair, all my friends have such lovely things" when her room is full of stuff she has been bought, and I was in the process of properly treating her. angry

I was livid. Agree - it makes me think I am a crap mother for overindulging her. When I compare what I had with what she and ds have.....

It puts one on a massive downer about having special treat, and just generally. I do wonder whether I sometimes place too much emphasis on "special time" to the extent to which any negative comment from her is enough to make me huffy and certain that the moment has been ruined.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now